sinus surgery???

Kimenem

Cathlete
My ENT said I should have it. I went to him because I'd gotten sick for a few days back in March with what I thought was allergies. Then, just at the end of June, I got sick again, but this time, coughing mostly. I'm STILL coughing some but it subsides a little each day (it's a prductive cough). When I got sick this last time, I also had a BAD sore throat for a couple days days and drainage. BUT, I've never had facial pain, tooth pain, etc. I get what I think are simus headaches but they are usually kind of dull and just bothersome. They usually clear up with a dose or 2 of Tylenol Sinus medication. Every once in awhile, I'll get one that I have to sleep to get rid of. He suggested today that the bad ones aren't sinus related but a maybe a migraine variant??? Anyway, I also had left ear problems off an on the past 2 years...mostly things just sounding funny. I had a CAT scan (while on steroids and antiobiotics) and he said today I had a deviated septum and a big hunk of stuff in the right sinus cavity in the cheek area. He didn't say I had an infection or anything or nasal polyps. He said this "gunk" would continue to get bigger until it completely blocked the drainage opening (I think that's right). The other sinus cavities looked ok I think, though he said he could open an air pocket in one of the lieft sided ones to see if that helped with the bad headaches. My ? is this: is surgery too severe of an option at this point? I don't like the risks and don't like the sound of the packing, although he didn't mention that. I'm going to try and get a second opinion but I read some posts here and found that this has been dealt with before. On the other hand, if it's really not that bad and can be easily tolerated and will probably take care of the problems I AM having, is it worth it?

Thanks

Kim

Hi Kim: I had sinus surgery last fall. Although I didn't have all the problems you apparently have had, my bad and chronic sinus pressure prompted me to go ahead with the surgery. The doc straighten out my septum and enlarged the openings into the sinus cheekbone areas. I have to say the two days immediately following surgery for me were really, really miserable. Your nose may have a temporary stint placed in it,and it will be very well packed for two days, with lots of congestion. However, you may not find those forty eight hours as bad as I did. I'm frustrated to say that I still get regular sinus pressure and headaches though, but my left nostril drains much better and feels less stuffy than it use to. So after all is said and done...I personally did not find having the surgery the miracle cure I was hoping it to be, but you may be at the point where ANY help at all, and ANY improvement would be better than nothing. Good luck whatever you decide!

Marret

My husband had this surgery. He was miserable for about a month after it. The Doctor VACUUMED out the "scabs" in the nose once a week for like a month. Guess what? He still has sinus problems and really bad headache's. I don't think he thought it was worth it.

Have you tried something called a Neti pot? I have one because every time I get a cold I get a sinus infection. I was exhausting my antibiotic list (my Dr. said) and I needed to find something to help get the stuff out that was running down the back of my throat and in my sinus. I have not had to go to the Dr. in a YEAR!!!!! My friend who has really bad allergies told me to get one. I bought it online.

Good luck!

Yeah....I use a neti pot too. That just may help with all the drainage, and thus sore throats, if you're diligent about using it every day, even when your sinuses are feeling okay. I use a neti pot in the evening, and in the morning I use one of those little rubber bulb things some people clean ears with. That actually works better than a neti pot when you're congested because you can use a little more force with the saline solution, and you can direct the solution better around the nasal cavity. I got my squeeze bulb thing at a Meijers store in the pharmacy section, and I bought the neti pot on the internet. If you're interested in getting a neti pot I can look up the web site for you. However, again, I don't think it has helped too much with the sinus pressure, but it does indeed help with nasal clearing and better breathing.

Marret

Thanks for your replies. What exactly is a neti pot? The ENT told me to use some kind of sinus rinse thing but I didn't like how it looked. How does the neti pot work? I'm not really having problems other than the occasional headache and getting sick those 2 times almost back to back, which the dr never said could have been caused by the sinuses.

I say to hold off until it gets really intolerable for you. I had this surgery done years ago because I had chronic infections that never really went away and I did have polyps and cysts removed. I never had a problem like that again however occassionally will have sinus pressure. It was really rough for a few days after the surgery...very painful...worth it for me but not sure for your case.

I would say wait til its a real problem for you. My sis has been having sinus probs forever, and she finally had the surgery early this year. Says she felt absolutely miserable for about a month and it hurt like all get out. She still has sinus probs as well, but not as bad as they used to be. She used to be sick all the time from it. Says it was worth it, but VERY painful, especially the after-care where the Dr had to keep cleaning out the gunk/scabs/whatever. Everyone's pain tolerance is different, but I would put it off as long as possible.

Nan

It seems like a no win situation. If I put it off, it will probably eventually get BAD but if I go ahead and have it, it will be BAD. I don't know what to do. I hope I can hurry and get a 2nd opinion.

If you're interested in a neti pot, I got mine at www.netipot.org

At first doing a nasal rinse might look unpleasant to you, but really it isn't that bad and becomes much easier the more you do it.

If you get the plastic neti pot model, rather than the ceramic, you can travel with it and not be concern about breaking it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.