Since we're ragging on government...

L Sass

Cathlete
My turn. Foreclosures. I've posted in the past about this messed up home next to me. Vacant for 4 years now, it's huge - and a huge MESS. Pipes have burst every winter for last 3 years, black mold everywhere, rodent infestation, blah blah blah.

Now I live in an Ohio township, which has next to no authority to enforce any kind of clean up. (Believe me, I was an asst prosecutor and have represented every govt office - I know like a book what townships in Ohio can and cannot do.) And since the house is vacant, even our health dept says the conditions do not present a PUBLIC health matter, but a private one -- therefore not a govt issue. And I have no problem with my local govt not being able to do anything - it's kind of the tradeoff for living in a rural area. Fine. Here's my beef --

This house was sold at public sheriff's sale in MAY to Citimortgage. I'm a lawyer. Since my local guys cannot do anything I would happily file a nuisance lawsuit myself against Citimortgage. But you know what --- NOBODY makes these banks record deeds after they acquire ownership. So I cannot pull a deed showing they own this mess nor can I get an address for service of process to file on them. Have you ever tried to deal with the jumbled morass that is Citigroup? Can't happen.

So these financially irresponsible banks that loan people money who cannot pay it back then take back these properties, and continue NOT to follow all the rules that you and I have to follow. And WTH is with our politicians who keep moaning about the "foreclosure crisis" impacting our cities, yet REFUSE to do something as simple as forcing a bank to record a deed after it forecloses on property!!!!! Sorry so long! I would buy this property in a heeartbeat and demolish the house BUT I CANNOT GET ANYONE TO HEAR ME!!!!!!! Thanks for letting me rant!

Wow, that's interesting! Here in AZ every transaction records, even the Deed in Lieu or regular foreclosures. A lot of times it doesn't show up on the public records that everyone has access to, however, I can find anything through the real estate MLS/tax program. I can look up phone numbers, names, etc. for the bank, trustee, when the sale is scheduled ....

Have you checked with a local real estate agent or a title company, they should be able to give you the info you need.

Really amazing how different city / township ordinances are in different states, one of my clients went through hell and a handbasket because her tenant didn't take care of the property, the pool turned green and the City of Phoenix and health officials were on her case in just a few days and gave her a deadline of 7 days to get it all cleaned up.

Good luck, I hope things work out for you, what a pain in the rear!

have you tried talking to the urban planners that are responsible for your county/jurisdiction? it might be interesting to have a conversation with them (specifically the ones working in community development) to find out what they think...at least to find out if they have any plans for condemned/foreclosed properties in the county.

Hi Lorrie,
Having tried working with Citigroup for 4 years to get them to fix the erroneous middle initial they put in my name on an account I have with them, I know how difficult they can be.

Where is the nearest physical office of Citibank for you? Even if it's hours away, it might be worth it to you to drive there. If you go, take a bunch of pictures of the property and tell the Citibank manager that you want to buy this property from them. He/she should be able to dig up a regional vice president who can make this happen. Citigroup doesn't want to own slum properties. They want them off the books ASAP. You're a ready, willing and able buyer. If you're in their office, you're harder to blow off and give the runaround to than if you're on the phone. BTW, how did you find out that the foreclosure happened? Is there some court record even if there's not a filed deed?

Anyway, it's a thought. Visiting a branch office and talking to an actual human who knew who to call worked for me. Good luck!

Hi Lorrie,
Having tried working with Citigroup for 4 years to get them to fix the erroneous middle initial they put in my name on an account I have with them, I know how difficult they can be.

DH and I have been trying to get Countrywide to fix his SS # which is incorrect, for almost a year. We've faxed, phoned, emailed and spoken with everyone except the head custodian. You know what one woman told us? Well why don't you just use the incorrect SS# instead?

:mad:

Sparrow

DH and I have been trying to get Countrywide to fix his SS # which is incorrect, for almost a year. We've faxed, phoned, emailed and spoken with everyone except the head custodian. You know what one woman told us? Well why don't you just use the incorrect SS# instead?

Sparrow

That's unreal! I was told to bring in my birth certificate or marriage license. Like either of those documents would have my MARRIED name on them. DUH! Which I explained over and over again.... This is why men should not be allowed to make rules without female supervision....:D

This is why men should not be allowed to make rules without female supervision....:D

Ohhhh Jonahnah - this is SOOOO TRUE. Thanks for your thoughts on this -- I will look to see where there may me a Citibank location. Good idea.

Sparrow

Oh the SS offices are the worst! It took me 3 visits to change my maiden name to my married name. By the time I got my new card I was divorced! :D

Lorrie, it's so strange that your township can't do anything. Here in NJ we have a couple of options. First we summons the property owner. If they don't show up in court, or if they just pay the fine & still don't clean up the property, we send our DPW out to clean up the exterior & then place a lien on the property. If the lien isn't paid the property goes up for tax sale in the fall.

We would consider it a public health matter if we could find evidence of rodent infestation, b/c that would obviously be a threat to the safety & health of residents surrounding the property. Same scenario--we'd take care of the problem & place a lien.

I just can't believe your local govmt isn't able to enforce. You know, you could show up at a council meeting & embarass them into it...........;)

You know, you could show up at a council meeting & embarass them into it...........;)

Nope -- I can't -- because we don't have council, we have a board of township trustees and I am on the board of zoning appeals -- and they appoint me. That's a boat I don't want to be rocking -- and they are actually on my side! They want this cleaned up or torn down -- but know that their hands are tied as well without a general welfare enabling provision in our Ohio Revised Code (laws). Townships here do NOT have general welfare police powers like cities and municipalities. And while they DO have authority to do the work and levy the tax lein, they have such limited financial resources in their general fund (we do not pay income tax in a township, so all tax levy funds have to be earmarked for a specific purpose), that if they do it for one, they have to do it for ALL "nuisance" properties. They have neither the financial resources nor the manpower to do that. Not to mention that all tax leving leins and collections, and therefore sales, are done through the county level, not the township. Believe me, over the last 4 years of vacancy and demise of this property, I have examined every angle -- it comes down to a private matter.

And I did look to see if I could find a Citi location -- the closest to me is in Illinois (I'm in Cleveland). :( But I DID go on their site and "apply for a home loan" -- maybe that'll at least prompt a call back from them. Thanks for your thoughts all.

But Lorrie, the limited funds is a true scenario for all municipalities. Believe me--we've been under a hiring freeze for four years & haven't replaced employees who've left. Our DPW is down five laborers as of today. But we still do the cleanups & liens for the worst properties. We have to. If the option is to leave it, & just let it get worse, that would be disastrous for the residents who live around it. Our #1 responsibility is to care for the health & safety of residents, so this kind of thing must be taken care of.

I don't know who told you the town couldn't handle it financially, but whoever did is giving you the runaround. It's not a financial issue, except indirectly as a manpower issue.

And your position on the BOA does not prevent you as a resident from raising issues at your trustee mtgs. Our BOA chair has showed up at mtgs to complain several times about various issues that affect his quality of life. That's your first amendment right--it's not a conflict of interest or rocking the boat.

Ooooh! There might be hope...

Okay, Citigroup has the WORST website on the planet! I did a search for branches like you did Lorrie and came up with IL and MD as the closest locations. BUUUUUUUUTTTT, then I did a career search and came up with all kinds of jobs for branch managers etc, etc. in 23 cities in Ohio.

Not sure what towns are closest to you in Cleveland but they seem to have locations in:
Bellefontaine, Blue Ash, Boardman, Canton, Chillicothe, Cincinnati (including their Consumer Innovation Center), Columbus (seems to be big regional HQ & ops ctr); Cochocton, Dayton, Defiance, Englewood, Galion, Grove City, Hamilton, Hilliard, Mason, Milford, North Olmsted, Pickerington, Sidney, Springfield, Wadsworth, and Wilmington.

You might check the yellow pages online for branch addresses. HTH!

Our DPW is down five laborers as of today. But we still do the cleanups & liens for the worst properties. We have to. If the option is to leave it, & just let it get worse, that would be disastrous for the residents who live around it. Our #1 responsibility is to care for the health & safety of residents, so this kind of thing must be taken care of

We don't have a DPW -- we have a cemetary sexton and a townhall maintenance man - and that's it. Townships do not have a general police power even for matters of health and safety. So we don't have local ordinanaces that can be or are violated. The ONLY thing we can accomplish through the health and safety is zoning. And this property doesn't violate ANY of the zoning provisions that we are legally allowed to enact (like we have no authority to legislate landscaping, lighting, etc. -- so we cannot force an owner to cut their grass or clean up debris around their property.) We can repair and levy for properties that are stucturally unsafe or unsound - and that's it. This house is neither -- though if it sits vacant for a few more years it very well may become that. It's gross on the INSIDE, but it's still solidly standing (brick). I'll see if I can get some pics.

And like I said, my trustees already know about this. They are on my side and trying to also force our state legislature to require banks to record deeds in foreclosure matters.

Okay, Citigroup has the WORST website on the planet! I did a search for branches like you did Lorrie and came up with IL and MD as the closest locations. BUUUUUUUUTTTT, then I did a career search and came up with all kinds of jobs for branch managers etc, etc. in 23 cities in Ohio. HTH!

OHHH That is BRILLIANT!!!!! North Olmstead is about a 45 minute trek -- totally do-able! Thanks!!!!! I know -- their website is RIDICULOUS!!!! Calling them is even worse! I'm going to search what I can! Thanks!

Same thing here

My turn. Foreclosures. I've posted in the past about this messed up home next to me. Vacant for 4 years now, it's huge - and a huge MESS. Pipes have burst every winter for last 3 years, black mold everywhere, rodent infestation, blah blah blah.

Now I live in an Ohio township, which has next to no authority to enforce any kind of clean up. (Believe me, I was an asst prosecutor and have represented every govt office - I know like a book what townships in Ohio can and cannot do.) And since the house is vacant, even our health dept says the conditions do not present a PUBLIC health matter, but a private one -- therefore not a govt issue. And I have no problem with my local govt not being able to do anything - it's kind of the tradeoff for living in a rural area. Fine. Here's my beef --

This house was sold at public sheriff's sale in MAY to Citimortgage. I'm a lawyer. Since my local guys cannot do anything I would happily file a nuisance lawsuit myself against Citimortgage. But you know what --- NOBODY makes these banks record deeds after they acquire ownership. So I cannot pull a deed showing they own this mess nor can I get an address for service of process to file on them. Have you ever tried to deal with the jumbled morass that is Citigroup? Can't happen.

So these financially irresponsible banks that loan people money who cannot pay it back then take back these properties, and continue NOT to follow all the rules that you and I have to follow. And WTH is with our politicians who keep moaning about the "foreclosure crisis" impacting our cities, yet REFUSE to do something as simple as forcing a bank to record a deed after it forecloses on property!!!!! Sorry so long! I would buy this property in a heeartbeat and demolish the house BUT I CANNOT GET ANYONE TO HEAR ME!!!!!!! Thanks for letting me rant!

I live in an Ohio township too and have had the exact same problem! It's like you're describing exactly what happened on our street for the past 3 years:( Rant away...I feel your pain!

Cassie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.