Shoulder Strain

xiangnimen

Cathlete
Hi everyone -

Just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with a shoulder strain before? How did you work through it? Just stop any upper body weight training until it feels better, or keep lifting right through it?

Hi everyone -

Just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with a shoulder strain before? How did you work through it? Just stop any upper body weight training until it feels better, or keep lifting right through it?

YES!

Do not do any weight lifting or any body weight exercises until your shoulder is 110% better.

If your shoulder pain persists see a doctor or physical therapist.

I had a shoulder strain about 2 or 3 months ago. I did upper body like biceps curls or anything that did not make my shoulder hurt. I am just now getting back to regular exercise. It is a slow process. I would just do cardio and lower body. It is going to take a while for it to heal.

Jean

Thanks for the feedback - that is basically what I was already thinking - such a bummer. Can't even pinpoint how it happened. Oh well, I'll just keep working the lower body and cardio - hopefully I won't lose all upper body muscle. :(

I have been there also. I can tell you what worked for me this last time, just a month or so ago. First of all I paid attention at the first sign of it rather than pushing on :confused:, not that I would do that :rolleyes:. Ibuprofen, high enough doses to hit inflammation rather than just the pain. (As told to me by my Dr) After several days of complete upper body rest I started PT work on it that I had received from Dr last time. Did several weeks of that. When it started feeling better enough to work I have always used Pyramid Upper body using VERY LIGHT WEIGHTS!!!! Worked for me.

Good luck, I hope it feels better soon.

I don't know how old you are, but shoulders are an area of concern after "a certain age". My certain age was about 40 (I'm 46 now). I suffer from frequent shoulder pain, and try not to do too many reps of things that can irritate it-not just things like presses, but I also have to be careful with how many pushups and planks I do.

I use very light weights for all over-the-head moves. Like 3 or 5 pounds. It stinks, but it helps me stay active so it's worth it.

I just got over a very badly pulled trapezius. Some days it hurt so badly I could barely pull on a tee shirt. I was traveling so I wasn't working out or lifting heavy weights regularly, but it managed to linger for TWO MONTHS anyway because I never fully rested it, either. When I got home and finally saw a doctor he told me to apply heat and ice twice a day (15-20 minutes with a heating pad, then 15-20 minutes with a bag of ice) and take 2 Aleve twice a day. Within a week the pain was gone. I'm back to boxing at my gym and starting to lift a little weight. I'm still going slow just in case, and I sometimes apply ice right after a hard workout to preemptively contain any swelling, but it looks good.

So heat, ice, pain reliever, and rest. Just rest your shoulder, though - my doctor said cardio is good for healing and encouraged me to keep running and going to the gym as long as I left my shoulder alone. He said if it wasn't better after two weeks that I should get it looked at again, but thankfully that doesn't seem necessary. I hope your healing goes just as smoothly.

There was a thread recently on VF that talked about upright rows and the potential safety of that move. I know that's a controversial one and some feel it's okay to do. However, this PT member made the comment that the shoulder joint is a "diva" and easily injured so it was best to play it safe (especially after a certain age like others have said). I always think of that now when I do shoulder exercises...my shoulder's a diva, be careful with it!;) Anyway, I hope you feel better soon! Injuries stink!

I had shoulder issues right after Meso 1, during the rest week. It even hurt to cough or laugh for a few days, so I totally sympathize with your pain. I highly recommend getting a massage from a sports medicine therapist. They can release a frozen area. It hurts while they're doing it, but the relief after is incredible. I'm not doing as many chin ups during STS this time, as I think this may have been what triggered my last injury. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.