should my puppy stay or go?

Go for sure! I have a child so there is no way I would keep a dog like that but even if I didn't, I am not comfortable with that. A dog who is protective (and even that has it's limits with me) is one thing but this sounds like it goes beyond that....Sorry you are having this problem! :(

I can't believe it's that simple. But, it seems that you don't want him, so I guess you should let him go.

Janie - You have done sooo much for this dog (she didn't tell much of the story in her post, but this has been going on for a while and I'm sure she's just getting to the end of her rope and frustrated). If he's not getting any better, it may just be time to let go. There's just no telling what he went through before coming to the shelter and sometimes it just takes a different owner or home to work for a dog with these issues. I believe this was your first dog right? Even an experienced owner would have their work cut out for them with the issues you've been going through, so it really sounds like this just was not a good match up of dog and owner. You are NOT a bad person for deciding this might not work. You have to do what is best for you and your family and since I think you mentioned the shelter was willing to try and find a different home for him, I think I would pursue that option for your sake and the dogs.

Last edited:
Janie - You have done sooo much for this dog (she didn't tell much of the story in her post, but this has been going on for a while and I'm sure she's just getting to the end of her rope and frustrated). If he's not getting any better, it may just be time to let go. There's just no telling what he went through before coming to the shelter and sometimes it just takes a different owner or home to work for a dog with these issues. I believe this was your first dog right? Even an experienced owner would have their work cut out for them with the issues you've been going through, so it really sounds like this just was not a good match up of dog and owner. You are NOT a bad person for deciding this might not work. You have to do what is best for you and your family and since I think you mentioned the shelter was willing to try and find a different home for him, I think I would pursue that option for your sake and the dogs.

Well said Liann! :)

FWIW Janie, I think his beginnings are too much for you to overcome.
IMO, if you can't trust him around your children...he has to go.:(

I know you want to save him, but you may not be the right handler for him. It sounds like he belongs in a house with no children. You would never forgive yourself if something happened to one of your children.

My FIL lost his lower lip to a dog bite(his own shitzu). He had to go through several months of painful grafts, and where they grafted skin from was no picnic.

Sorry, Janie. I thought this was just a first-time thing, and it just seemed so abrupt. I wasn't aware that you had discussed this issue before. I'm sorry that you, your family, and the dog are going through this. I'm sure that the shelter will get him another home (without kids, hopefully!) with someone who might be better equipped to deal with a dog like this.

Thanks ladies, . . .te te it really is not that simple. We went to another behaviorist and yes he is very qualified. He told me after a 2 hour session at $150 an hour that from all the reports and his behavior during the visit that what we have is a dominant agressive dog. Everything he said made perfect sense. Georgie is fixed but he humps a lot, he always wants to go on the furniture to elevate his position and the only time he bites is when we have to crate him or tell him to get off the furniture and when I say bite, . . .I mean gums showing, . . .all teeth out, . . deep growling, . . I will eat you for supper bite. I'm heart broken. I've tried everything. He has bitten 1 trainner already the first trainer we hired. We've hired 3. The second trainner couldn't even handle his strength. This last trainner was by far the best trainner we've had and he laid it all out for me yesterday. Can he be trained? "Yes." Will it be easy, . . no. Can I guarantee that he will not mature into an agressive dog dispite all we do "no." He said that we picked the worst type of dog for our family dynamics, . . .we just lucked out. Like Cynthia said our trainer said that he may do better with a family with no children who can handle strong agressive dogs. I don't want to give up. I don't. I have 2 children 7 and 9 one with autism, . . and I just a few weeks ago was told by my OBGYN that I have cervical intraepithelial neoplasia which may or may not develop into cervical cancer (have to wait and see). Needless to say I'm stressed about it. :( Still don't know what to do. Thanks everyone.

By the way, . . Liann haven't you had that baby yet?

What Liann said.

Janie - I KNOW you and the family have really tried with this guy. George just may not be the best fit for you guys and him. I think the fact that he was originally taken from his litter too soon (not by you guys of course) has made him more of a challenge.

(((hugs)))

Oh, Janie, I am so sorry! :( I know you were trying to do a good thing by getting a dog from the shelter and to have it turn out like this is just awful. You do not need this stress, especially now. Sending ((hugs)) your way.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you are doing.

Janie,

You've gone to the moon & back for Georgie and it's time to let him find a home that's a better fit for his nature.

It's not just your own children who'd be at risk. I'm sure your kids have friends over to your house and some kids have NO clue as to warning signs that a dog is about to bite or how to approach a strange dog. (Some will even let a dog out of their crate without asking!!!) Sad to say but it sounds a disaster waiting to happen. If someone gets bitten by Georgie & you knew he was a repeat biter, you could be looking at major, costly lawsuit. That's on top of the horrible guilt you'd feel!!

I'm so sorry for all you've gone thru and what you're currently dealing w/ personally. Take care and ((((((((hugs)))))))))).

Janie,

I agree with everyone else. You have done everything that you could to help Georgie no one could ask you to do more. But he needs a different home, without kids. There are many other wonderful dogs out there in shelters looking for a home that would be a perfect fit with your family. I'm sorry, but owning a dog should not be that hard. Sending {{{{HUGS}}}}

I would take the dog to a no-kill shelter and leave a big donation. Explain the situation. One of our no-kill shelters has a great group of volunteers who work with real difficult dogs. Maybe yours does, too and Georgie will get a second chance. Maybe a resue group for this particular kind of breed could help, too.
If you put him in a regular kill shelter, the dog probably will be put down. They do not have the resources and they probably would mark Georgie as agressive to be put down asap.

I'm sorry, but owning a dog should not be that hard.

Thanks Linda, everyone. . .my current trainner said the same thing. His behavior is just not typical. He also said that since Georgie is not fully matured this agression can get worse and usually does when someone tries to tell them who is boss and change things on them. I absolutely do not want him to go back to the shelter, . . .I'm sure that they'll put him down. I really don't know what to do.
By the way don't worry everyone. The children are extremely supervised around our dog and we don't do play dates here. I have a muzzle and I use it. I also always keep him on a leash. :(

I just looked at your pics of him. OMG he's adorable. Such ashame that he has these issues. :( As everyone else has said though, not your fault so don't feel responsible. Only idea I had was to call Caesar Milan (the dog whisperer) since you are out in Cali but I don't know how long the 'wait list' is for him or how difficult it is to get accepted to be a part of the show. Sounds like the perfect job for him though!

Janie

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

As difficult as this may be (and I have always had pets), I must agree that the match is probably not right for your family and Georgie. It would not be fair to either of you for you to keep him and keep trying. You have spent a lot of time, money, effort, and love on this dog trying to work him into your family. It just doesn't seem that you have the qualities to deal with an aggressive dog. I wouldn't either and that's no reflection on you or Georgie for that matter. He is how he is due to his prior treatment.

Let the shelter find him a home with someone who has raised dogs of this emotional state and find another one who's personality and upbringing are more docile and more suited to your lifestyle and family dynamics.

It's not easy to give up, but you have given it every effort and exhausted every possible option. You can hold your head up high knowing that.

Help Georgie and yourselves and let him go back. I know there's a perfect match out there for him!

You'll be happier taking some more time and looking for a dog that will fit better.

((((((Hugs))))))) I agree with everyone else. . . you have to do whats right for you and your family! I'm sorry it's been so hard on you!!

I have to say...you've done all you can do....I'm sure this is a heartbreaking choice and I'm one that doesn't give up easily....but this sounds terrifying and no one should be afraid of their pet...ever.

You really did all you could....probably more than most people would do....

I have a friend who had a Min Pin. That dog was kind of the same way. The vet recommended her put the dog down. A few weeks later, she herself was attacked and was required to put her dog to sleep.

She had her for 5 years and she always had issues. She was purchased at a pet store.

Janie, I don't think you really are asking what you should do. I think you are asking for permission to do what you already decided you need to do.

This is your second thread on this, and I think it's clear how guilty the idea of giving up on your puppy makes you feel. I think, honestly, you are trying hard to do what you really feel you need to do and yet not feel guilty. Not gonna happen. Human beings are guilt-buckets - we have a tremendous capacity for guilt and it is a major driving force for us. Logic and necessity often has nothing to do with how guilty we do or don't feel.

I once gave back a cat that had severe psychological issues that I was not capable of handling. I felt extraordinarily bad about that but I also felt that I would be doing that cat a disservice by keeping him. He lived out his strange life with his original caretaker and did much better than he would have with me. Still feel guilty, though.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do and live with the feelings of guilt because we're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.