shave or wax?

Definitely shave for me--I don't think I could take the pain of waxing, plus I don't like that "in between" period when it's growing out (same reason I don't wax my eyebrows). I shave year round.

My friend works for a dr. who just stared doing laser hair removal treatments. She had her armpits done & it was totally painless, & surprisingly cheap--I think it costs about $200. I was considering having my upper lip done b/c I'm tired of the bleaching (not to mention the potential skin damage). Might be worth looking into for the bikini area.

>Definitely shave for me--I don't think I could take the pain
>of waxing, plus I don't like that "in between" period when
>it's growing out (same reason I don't wax my eyebrows). I
>shave year round.
>
>My friend works for a dr. who just stared doing laser hair
>removal treatments. She had her armpits done & it was totally
>painless, & surprisingly cheap--I think it costs about $200.
>I was considering having my upper lip done b/c I'm tired of
>the bleaching (not to mention the potential skin damage).
>Might be worth looking into for the bikini area.

I'm scheduled for my third laser session tomorrow night. I got an underarm / bikini (brazillian - don't knock it till you try it, trust me!) combo package, which is 5 sessions over the course of a year (you have to go multiple times for it to be a permanent solution). My package was quite good, and I think totalled ... $1300? In that neighborhood at least.

It does hurt (like a rubberband being continually snapped on your skin, HARD), but it's 100% worth it. I'd highly recommend this route, if you have the profile (fair skin, dark hair - this is SCREAMING for you Nancy!!!).

What happens: after your first session, about 2 weeks later, all the hair that was treated falls out. You stay perfectly smooth for a good ... 2 months, after which the hair starts to slowly grow back. At the 3 month mark, you go for your next session. Repeat. After repeated sessions, less and less hair grows back, and it's much finer. I used to obsessively shave every day, and now, even at the very end right before I am ready to go for my next session, I can easily stretch 3-4 days between shaving (and I'm a fanatic about this, so it really is much finer and just much less at this point after 2 sessions). Many people are nearly 100% hair free after 3 sessions - the last 2 are for gravy to ensure everything has been hit and eradicated.

Sorry for being so long. :)

m.

I am going on vacation to the Bahamas in November for a week. If I go get waxed will it last long enough that I won't have any growth for the week I am gone? I would probably get it done about 2 days before we leave. Is there any irritation from the waxing that lasts for more than a day?

Katie

You've convinced me m., but I'm worried about the price. How many thousands would it cost to have legs done I wonder? I think I would want the whole leg, not just the upper thigh.
-Nancy

>You've convinced me m., but I'm worried about the price. How
>many thousands would it cost to have legs done I wonder? I
>think I would want the whole leg, not just the upper thigh.
>-Nancy

I was considering the entire leg as well Nancy, and only held out because I thought jumping ENTIRELY in whole-hog was maybe not a great idea. I now wish I would have just started the leg treatments at the same time! I go to what was called Sona Med Spa, and I know they are a chain - check to see if there are any in your area. They are GREAT - love this place. I felt totally comfortable the first day, and well, when you have one leg held near your ear so they can really get where they need to go, feeling comfortable is a hard thing to achieve, so that's really saying something!

They run monthly specials - like, second body part for 50% off, kind of things, and they usually split the leg into 2 body parts. I think when I was quoted an entire leg it would have been an additional $900 - $1000, I believe. But that was after an additional discount because I was already doing 2 body parts. Even still - it's probably comparable to the bikini / underarm combo.

Again, I highly recommend this, and you seem to have the IDEAL coloring for it (pale skin, dark coarse hair). You'll love it, I'm sure. It's a commitment though - it takes a year to get the full 5 sessions, but as I said, you reap the benefit after each session, and it just gets better and better along the way...

m.

I won free lasering from a health expo drawing I entered. I'm having my armpits done because they never look shaved and the hair grows so fast. The two treatments I had hurt a lot but she said the more hair in an area the more it hurts, and I have a lot! They will also turn the laser down if you ask. So far, certain patches aren't growing at all and other areas are growing normally. The laser can only kill hair in a certain phase of the growth cycle, thus all the treatments. I go to American Laser Centers which has a good guarantee but I think is a bit pricey. Very happy with what I see so far. I think someday I will have my whole body done, as I unfortunately seem to be growing more hair on my body than my husband! And it is jet black x(

Thanks, m. I'm getting pretty excited about the whole idea. As soon as I finish paying off my dental work (eye roll) I'll go for the lasaring. I knew I'd do it sometime, it's just a matter of when. I can hardly imagine what it would be like to not have to shave anymore! WOW!! :D
-Nancy

Venus razor here, and I have a question. I tried Nair a year or two ago and it didn't really work well. I think I'm too fidgety to just stand around the bathroom, waiting for that damn stuff to work. What do you do while you're waiting for the Nair to work?

Finally a topic that I can comment on :)

Bikini area: Wax...professionally.

Your first one will hurt. But if you continue to get them, they will get easier and easier. Take a pain reliever before you go and it will take the edge off a bit.

Shaving leaves too many bumps, ingrown hairs, and the thought of CUTTING something in that vicinity makes me cringe. Start off with just a regular bikini wax. After a while, you can decide if you want to try the brazilian. I will second what another person said: find a good one by asking a satisfied customer. Believe me, you don't want an inexperienced person doing a bikini wax on you. SO -- don't look for the cheapest either ;-)

Shonie

I have real sensitive skin so I can't really shave or wax there. I use an electric razor that's made to shave the bikini area. While it's not as smooth as shaving or waxing, you still can't see hair there. I envy those who can wax!

Barbara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.