Sharing a new crockpot recipe....Veggie Barley Soup

banslug

Cathlete
Since I'm always on the lookout for new recipes, I thought I'd share this recipe that I just made the other night. It's a CROCKPOT recipe, which I LOVE. I like to fill the crockpot and set it to cook overnight while I sleep. Waking up in the early hours to workout and smelling what I'll be having for lunch (ok...and sometimes for breakfast) just makes this gal super happy! I LOVED it!!! I thought some of you might also!

Vegetable Barley Soup
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 C fresh baby carrots, halved
1 1/2 C frozen cut green beans
1 1/2 C frozen corn
3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 C chopped green pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 C water
2 cans (14.5 oz each) veggie broth
1 C medium pearl barley
1 bay leaf
1 3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can (14.5 oz) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained

In a 5-qt crockpot, combine the first 8 ingredients.
Stin in the water, broth, barley, bay leaf and seasonings.
Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until barley and veggies are tender.
Stir in tomatoes; cover and cook on high for 10-20 minutes or until tomatoes are heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving.

Yields: 12 servings, about 1 1/2 C each
Nutritional info per serving: 128 calories, 1 g fat, 0 cholesterol, 812 mg sodium, 28g carbs, 5g fiber, 4g protein

Original Source: Taste Of Home's Light & Tasty, Annual Recipes 2008

here are my personal notes: I used regular carrots and just chopped them. I also used regular barley AND pearled barley (I'm trying to use up the extra stuff in my pantry). I also omitted the fennel seed and salt.

ENJOY!

Gayle

Yum! Sounds good. I might have to try this soon, even though it is hot here! I saw Taste of Home's Light and Tasty magazine at my library yesterday and thought about checking some out. Maybe I should. I love, love, love to try new recipes :9

Thanks!
Mary

i'm printing it out too! can u use a grain besides barley? i have quinoa and bulger to use.

laura

Laura-I don't know about subbing another grain...give it a try and let us know! That's just what I do....I don't see why it wouldn't work.

As for eating soup in the heat...yeah, it's been SUPER humid here for days. However, when I reheat my soups, stews and chilis, I just zap it for about 2 minutes at 60% power in the microwave just to heat it a bit. Sometimes, I even eat it cold right from the fridge. The yummy flavors are good no matter the temp of the soup! ;)

Gayle

Thanks, Gayle! You always post the best recipes! I've been looking for more recipes to use in my crock pot, and this looks perfect! :)

Thank you, Gayle!!!

Most of the ingredients are in my garden, except the barley but I
always have that on hand it's my favorite grain:D

High 5 to you!! Thanks again,

Brigitte

Oh, I love barley soups! This actually sounds like something I concocted over the winter. And the regular barley is so good! It takes longer to cook but is well worth it to me.

As for subbing other grains, sure. But you'll have to watch your cooking times. Quinoa and bulgar only take 20 minutes to cook on the stovetop, so you might want to think about making the soup on the stove instead of a crockpot. My experience with quick-cooking grains in the crockpot is that they turn out mushy if you're not really careful.

i think i am going to follow the recipe except cook the grains on the stove then add them to the soup. i totally forgot about the timing til u mentioned it.

laura

I just wanted to say that I made this soup the other night and it is absolutely delicious! I brought some to work for my vegan friend and she also loved it! It was so simple to throw together that I am sure I will make this again in the near future! Plus it makes a ton for leftovers. Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.