Selling our home.

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Hello everyone.

I am clueless in this regard so was hoping to get some feedback on this one.

DH and I have had a few realtors come in to give us a market analysis on our home. The #'s we are getting are what we wanted so we will probably want to put our house up for sale this summer.

My question is...How in the world does one choose a realtor??? How do I do it??? Do I have to keep scheduling market analysis' with all different agencies until I like someone? I'm really at a loss.

I had Weichert in here and although I think Weichert is a good name in real estate, I hated the realtor they sent in. Is it possible to request a DIFFERENT realtor if I wanted to list with them??

The gal I just had here I liked MUCH better. She is with a smaller, not so well known agency but they do 4% commission which is a plus.

There's also Foxtons ofcourse and Century 21 and Prudential and my goodness...I could go on for days! AAAAHHHH!

HELP ME!!!!! :7 :7 :7

TIA!:)

I thought the typical commission was 3%? I would go with a person you are comfortable with, not necessarily a bigger name company. My mother and aunt are real estate agents with a smaller company (owned by my aunt), and I know for a fact they spend a lot more time and effort with each client than larger companies with more clients do. They have less clients so have more time to devote to each. But that is just from my personal experience.

I'd go with the person with whom I felt more comfortable, but it's a good idea to call around and get some sense of commission rates.

Good luck! Any ideas where you'll be moving to??

Marie

Diane,

I'm not sure but I don't think MOST do 3% commissions. I know Foxtons has made many agencies bring thier commissions down but sometimes a lower commission can also mean less service. I think Foxtons has a few commission levels to choose from and the higher the commission, the more services they provide. It will have to be one of the questions I ask anyone I am considering listing with.

I liked the gal from Key so I'll have to keep in mind you comment about the smaller agencies.

Thanks for your input!:)

Marie,

We have a rather large area to choose from but have some key areas in mind where we'd like to look first. We will be staying with in an hour in any direction from where we are now though...except south...we are trying to avoid going further south and if we do it will only be by a couple of miles at most.

Judy,

The only reference I had is not going to work because they do not service this area. :-(

Hi Wendy,

We are currently looking for a new home and have a realtor working with us who helped us sell our condo a few years ago, as well as my brother's home, etc.

I have discovered that the best realtor ( at least for us ) is the one who a) gives you an honest assesment of your home, and not just what you want to hear, and b) has a great marketing backround. Our realtor is into all the latest selling techniques to get the house out there for so many to see, and she is willing to have as many open houses as we want. We also have a big comfort factor, I can walk into a house that she is showing us and be quite frank about what I see, and I know she is seeing it also.

Just some thoughts...Good luck in your own search!

>>I thought the typical commission was 3%?<<

We moved from Albuquerque, NM to Omaha, NE a little over a year ago and the typical commission in both states is 6%. 3% would have been great!

I would definitely go with someone who's personality you liked. That was key for us.

Good luck!

Lori

Wendy-
I think you need to go with someone who is highly recommended. The most important factor is that they get the highest purchase price. Commissions can be important, but if a well-known broker knows how to get you more money, then it may be worth paying a full 6% commission instead of paying 4% to someone who doesn't work as hard or has fewer resources and gets you a lower price. When I was looking to sell my apartment and didn't know who to choose, I picked the realtor who had the best website. They had more pictures and more information on their website, and I knew that if I were looking to buy, I would spend more time on that website. These days, most people rely on the internet, so the website is very important. Just my two cents worth.
-Nancy

3% is wonderful.

Part of our County gets 6% and the other parts gets 7%.

I would check with people for a referral. Also, have any of them given you a bottom line figure with the market analysis? In our area there are "traditional seller costs" that include deed preparation, conveyance fee to the local Auditor's office, tax-proration. In some areas the seller also pays the closing fee. I would expect a realtor to estimate those costs to me up front with the price. In other words "tell me what I don't know, since I don't work in the field". If they don't, I would keep looking!

I'll chime in here with some information. I recently made a career change and am now a licensed Realtor (R). Prior to this I worked in corporate sales and used to sell TO Real Estate Brokerages; technology services for marketing, so I am familiar with both sides.

For commission, the "average" rate tends to be 6-7%. However, that does NOT all go to the agent that lists your home. The commissions are generally split between the listing agency and the agent that brings the buyer. The agent that brings the buyer will usually receive 2.5%-3% of that 6-7% stated above. If someone quotes you 4% you will want to ask what they are paying buyers agents....because if they are offering less than that 2.5-3%, that's not good. And it is USUALLY the case that you get what you pay for. I agree with others to look for an agent that is totally up front with you - doesn't tell you only what you want to hear, doesn't have silly gimmicks and doesn't only talk about themselves, how many homes they've sold blah blah blah.

Web prescence is key ~ doesn't matter what company but they should be marketing your home online which is where over 70% of homebuyers start looking. Ask for online marketing details.

Generally speaking there are three main areas that affect the sale of your home; PRICE, MARKETING Exposure and Condition. You must price your home effectively, you must market appropriately and the house must be in good updated clean condition.

I wish you the best!! Feel free to email me for any questions. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Take care,
Kelly

The average sales commission is 6 percent. The selling realtor gets at least 3 percent and if there is not a realtor representing the buyer then they get the whole 6 percent. However, if the people purchasing your home have representation then their realtor gets 3 percent and your realtor gets 3 percent. That is the norm in Ohio anyway.

We don't always WANT the whole 6%...If I sell one of my own listings, I have less work, less running around, and don't have to babysit another agent...I ALWAYS will drop my commission by 1-1 1/2% if I get a "hogger" (dual agency-some states don't allow this)...
MJ in MN

Yikes...I didn't realize there was so much to learn...I am doomed...doomed I tell you! LOL

Thanks for the advice everyone! I hope I make a good choice!:)

I am also a realtor. At 3%(total commission) I would basically put a sign in the yard and that is about it. We do 6% with half to the buyer's agent and half to the listing agent. Remember that advertising costs a ton, flyers for the box out front and in the house, board dues, gas, phone . . . the list goes on.

No one shops for a discounted doctor . .trust your home (and it's still your home) to a professional with a good rep and marketing capabilities.

Just curious as to what you didn't like about the first realtor?

Good Luck!

Dawn

Wendy I would concur that you should seek referals from friends and family. DH is an agent, and he does pretty much 100 percent of his business by referal. People refer him because he's honest and good at what he does. So definitely talk to those around you. Good luck!

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Dawn,

The first realtor left a bad taste in my mouth...VERY unprofessional.

I am not a "stiff" by any means and would actually prefer an agent with a personality (ie: sense of humor ) than one who's "all business". Keep in mind as well that I am not known to be a TOUGH customer...I am pretty easy going but this guy was just awful!

I had to play phone tag with him for weeks before I could even get an appointment for an analysis. He ended up coming at the last minute on his day off. He looked a mess and couldn't even find the house. He called to ask me a question about where I am located and said "I'll do it the right way and look at my map..." Well DUH! Why didn't you do that in the first place? Had he still had trouble it's not like I would have gotten mad if I had to direct him a bit but he was just incredibly unprofessional about the whole thing.

Then he left and said he'd get back to us with in about 5 days with a price. I think it was more like 10 days before we heard ANYTHING from him. He finally called and said he'd drop off p/w with the analysis price the next day. Never showed. Called a day or 2 later and gave us the price over the phone and said he'd drop the p/w off in a couple of days....well that was WEEKS ago and we haven't seen hide nor hair of him or this supposed p/w!!! He was just AWFUL! ACK!

Edited to Add:
Another thing that REALLY urked me about this guy...I don't live in the nicest of areas. We bought here because it was affordable, it was alright for the time being and it was SUPPOSEDLY the "up and coming" area..YEAH RIGHT! x( But anyway...so this realtor starts talking about how some agents don't want to do business in my town, how they don't want to "lower themselves" to come here but how he doesn't mind. HELLO!? Did I just hear you correctly!? :eek: I wanted to smack him to say the least!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!:)
If I am off-base here with my perception of what he did that wasn't cool, please let me know!

Thanks!

Wendy.. he sounds HORRID. Go with your gut and steer clear of him - geez.... If he is that way with you - I'm sure the buyers will pick up on it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.