School begins soon :-(

pjlippert

Cathlete
I can't believe that "Summer" is coming to a close already!! My DS begins back on the 23rd. I began to tear-up as I was looking at the school calendar. My 'baby' is beginning 3rd grade!! There are days when we are both ready for him to go back, but we're going to continue to have fun!

Sigh & sniffle.... :(

Pam

In my area, school doesn't begin till after Labor Day but kids are trying to make the most of every minute of summer left. Malls and plazas are jammed with shoppers so increased traffic. A local supermarket chain is doing a big blowout of school supplies tomorrow. It's supposed to rain so a great day for it so I will be staying home.
Enjoy the rest of the summer....

I feel your pain Pam :( My two oldest started school last Monday, the 8th!! 6th grade & 3rd grade. My preschooler starts this Wednesday. I enjoy having them home w/ me so I wasn't happy about school starting back. Our summers are way too short :p

Has anyone else started school? I think we might be one of the earliest in the country. Y'all enjoy your last days of summer break :)

Tracy

Hi Stebby- our Summer break began May 23rd-ish. Crazy early!! Still technically Spring - not REALLY Summer- and the don't actually go back to school in the "Fall".... it's all goofy scheduling if you ask me (even if ya didn't ask me! :p)

Pam

Oh my! We're starting in a week, and we're all HAPPY about that ! The kids are ready to go back, and I'm ready for them to go back, too :D We've had a lot of fun this Summer and now it's time for them to go have fun with their school friends - I'm exhausted! ;)

Our school year is packed with activities and things the kids enjoy, so maybe that's why we're not sad about Summer ending. I know they loved the back to school shopping and are eager to see all their friends. We got the class rosters, so they've already been talking to their 'new' homeroom friends and making plans for afterschool clubs and things.

Mine started on July 26th. Its always sad for me to see my kids go back to school. I love being a full time mom to all my 6 children, and spoiling them to death when they are in summer break. I miss them all the time, or most of the time. ;)

Mine goes back this Thursday (half day) and then all day Friday. I can't wait. Lower daycare bill, less whining in the evening that he's bored - homework!!!!! They went to school until early June. We had to tack on 2 snow days due the blizzard last winter. They were originally scheduled to end right at the end of May.

Nan

Kids return on the 18th. I have 2 teens can't wait until they go back...one is a Sr. and other Soph.

USC-Carolina in Columbia returned this weekend. USC expecting 30,000 and it felt like it.

Now I can get somewhat back on my fitness routine!

My boys (well two of the three... still have a little one at home) started back Thursday, and I cannot lie, the peace has been a welcomed change. I also am able to slowly restore my house to it's pre-summer neatness. The kids wreaked havoc on it this summer! I do miss the freedom and schedulelessness of summer vacation though.

Oh wow....Lulu, July 26th! I didn't think anyone else started earlier than us. Are y'all considered year round?

Stebby, we typically get out for summer break around May 20ish.

Just took my youngest for his preschool open house this morning & he'll start Wednesday. Last week wasn't so bad, they didn't have much homework so they could come home and relax. But the first of September when they start back full time w/ swim (the oldest two are on swim team) it's going to be a whirlwind of busyness. I'm not looking forward to that. I'll really be missing the lazy days of summer then :(

Lulu--Wow! July 26th is early!! When do you get out for summer vacation?

I am not ready for school to start, not sure about DD. ;-) Homework, bustling in the am, lunches, coordinating all the activities---eeekkk---not ready yet!

Pam,
I remember feeling that way every year. This year will be the hardest.I will be an empty- nester all at once, sniffle, sniffle. My "babies" ( I have twins) are both leaving next week for college. I will miss them a lot. I hope I did my best as a Mom, because now its time to let go. I keep reminding myself that this is what you prepare your kids for-to move on and be independent.

Awww, I used to feel that way too, now I honeschool, lol, and I STILL think the time moves too fast! :eek: They just grow up too dang fast :(. My oldest is 24, & my baby just turned 14 this summer. I wanna cry every time I even think about my soon-to-be empty nest....

I am grateful for the time that I did get w/my boys, and the resulting closeness that came from it, so I guess it's a catch 22 :confused:

My boys (well two of the three... still have a little one at home) started back Thursday, and I cannot lie, the peace has been a welcomed change. I also am able to slowly restore my house to it's pre-summer neatness. The kids wreaked havoc on it this summer! I do miss the freedom and schedulelessness of summer vacation though.

ITA about the pre-school neatness of the house, Stephanie! I feel like the housework triples during the Summer! To the other posters- re: getting back to a more consistant fitness schedule & work schedule! Yeah... it's actually a very good thing! School clothes shopping this week and getting back on our school sleep schedule!

Pam

We go back to school Aug, 29th. I'm really not sure how I feel... :eek: I have
5th, 3rd and 1st graders. This will be the FIRST time in ten years that I have EVER had more than an hour to myself. DH works 6 days a week, 10-12hr days so I rarely ever leave him with all the kids. I have been looking forward to this moment for a very long time but in the same breath I'm sad. It's the end of babies for me. I bet it won't take me long to get over that! :p
I am ready for them to be out and busy. The desert summers are brutal and keep us stuck in the house.

Pam,
I remember feeling that way every year. This year will be the hardest.I will be an empty- nester all at once, sniffle, sniffle. My "babies" ( I have twins) are both leaving next week for college. I will miss them a lot. I hope I did my best as a Mom, because now its time to let go. I keep reminding myself that this is what you prepare your kids for-to move on and be independent.

Jennifer:

part of being a mother is in learning how to let go and being able to do it just right, so you are still and will still be mothering, just in a different way. Your babies may not need you next year on an every day basis, but they will need to know that you are where you are as their bedrock and foundation. Knowing this enables them to have confidence to fly... And they will need you for comfort when things get tough and for advice when the options seem to numerous and for just being the people/person who knows them best and accepts them just as they are. Your work is not done! It's just going to be different.

Best of luck to your twins!

Clare

My 6th and 8th graders start on the 30th of this month....I will be sad to see them go...but glad for them too...this has been a dull summer for them because I have been house-bound/unable to drive for the majority of it...So I am glad they will get the activity...

also..I will probably homeschool my 8th grader when she hits H.S. so I will enjoy my last bits of freedom from that responsibility this year...(I already homeschooled my 20 and 22 year old thru H.S.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.