Safe Protein powder while preggers

amhess

Cathlete
HI all,
I love my protein shakes, but the back of most of the powders I use say, 'not safe for pregnancy'. Has anyone continued the use of or found a safe protein powder while pregnant?

Thanks,
anne

good question, and i too am interested even though i am not pregnant (yet). maybe melanie has some thoughts as a pharmacist?

I have used and would continue to use protein powders while pregnant. Please make sure that your protein powder has no added "herbs" or "enhancers". I wouldn't go overboard, one shake a day should be fine, along with a well-rounded diet.

I hope this helps. :)

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

Anne,

I too use protein powders while pregnant this time and last time.
My 17 month old is healthy and strong as can be!!! I add the
protein powders once a day to my skim/soy milk for added protein
since I do not eat meat. I am sure if you talk to your doctor
you will feel better. I lost my taste for the shakes in the
first trimester along with a few other favorites but they do come
back (usually) in the second trimester.

I did not drink my favorite protein powder (Dave Draper's Bomber Blend) while pregnant because it is fortified with a daily dose of vitamins. I was taking a prenatal vitamin and my ob/gyn advised that the vitamins would in all be too many. I started back up with it after the baby, but my baby was fussy and colicky and I gave the powder up again in a search to figure out what her problem was. I bring up the last comment so that if you too nurse, you may want to consider if it makes your baby gassy or hurts her tummy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.