S&H results??

amyg

Cathlete
I'm really enjoying S&H but I'm not sure what will happen once I've completed 3 or 4 weeks of a rotation including the workouts. Will my need for heavier weights carry into other workouts? Will I just go back to same old, same old??

Any experiences would be helpful, thanks!!

Dear Amy G,

I love SH rotations, which is something I didn't expect before I started doing them. I find that a 3 week rotation, along with very CLEAN eating, reveals nice muscle development, and my body looks and feels stronger and tigher. I tend to be a bit hungrier during this type of rotation so the type of food I eat becomes very important. Close to nature, unprocessed, etc. Which is why I go on this rotation when I know I will have a lot of control over my diet. That means when I don't foresee any travel (diet is off and heavy weights are not available) or holiday parties!

I don't notice that I can lift like Arnold after a SH rotation, but one unanticipated benefit for me is a feeling of athletic competance. I don't know how else to describe this. Since real focus is the key to success with this type of work, I believe I get better at other types of exercise too. I am in my mid-40s and have 3 active teens and a full-time job, so I use SH as reward time for me....almost meditation time. As Cathe says, concentration and focus are key. And of course, good food.

Enjoy!
Paula

Hi Paula-

I just read your post and had a quick question. Do you eat nuts as part of your clean eating? I went out and bought a bunch today to make trail mix and know how high in fat they are. Would it do me no good to eat them if I was trying to lose weight? Thanks!!

Kristen

Nuts have good fats in them. There have been studies showing that people who eat nuts are slimmer than those who don't (possibly because of the satiety factor). But DO choose RAW, unsalted nuts. Most nuts in the store are fried ("roasted" in oil) and have added salt. Health food stores and coops carry raw nuts. They taste SO much better (and are healthier) once you get used to them.

Just don't eat huge quantities of them!

Very well said, Paula. I agree with you. I get great results, and my appetite increases. I have to be very careful about the appetite increase. Sometimes I can handle it, by just eating more veggies and good stuff, and other times I just have to put the rotation aside and go back to endurance stuff.

Unfortunately, I'm the kind of person who, when I'm stressed, if I eat 6 ozs. of tuna in water instead of 3 ozs. I can actually get upset and think I've "blown" it. Then I eat a half gallon of ice cream because I'm upset. It's so illogical, I can't understand how a smart person like me can think this way, but there it is. It's like leftover remnants of an eating disorder and I'm really tired of the "all or nothing" thinking. But when I'm feeling that way, S&H is verboten for me. It's too bad, because I really love the workout.

-Nancy

Thanks Kathryn. I went to Wild Oats (health food store) and got a bunch of nuts to make trail mix with. I think the only ones I bought that I shouldn't have then is roasted pistachio nuts. I know they have salt and now that you mention it, probably oil as well. Urgh! Oh well, next time I won't be getting those to put in there! Craisins and dried fruit are ok, correct?

I got that Panda cereal you mentioned too (with the PB in it) so I will have that when I feel a sweet tooth coming on. Yummy!

Kristen

Hi Amy:

I love when S & H comes into the rotation schedule. I'm a little different as that I do it form 6 weeks at a time, not 3 weeks though.

I have seen a lot of development in my pecs, shoulders, and tris when doing S & H. My musculature seems to look fuller and more defined as opposed to when I'm doing circuit or endurance strength training.

I don't do the S& H legs, only because I have better results training my lower body w/ more reps and adding some floor work. ( Yep, I am a pear!)

As far as appetite increase, I don't see it when I am on an S &H rotation. The only time I notice a big increase in appetite is when I am doing alot of running for my cardio. But, that's just me.

Its really a great series, one of my absolute faves!!

Take care, Lynn M.

Hi Paula, just interested, how much cardio do you do when on a S&H rotation and how do you fit it in, ie, before/after/different day? Thanks.

Kristen,

You are right about nuts. But I LOVE them and work them into my eating. Of course, to keep them clean I don't eat sugared or heavily salted ones. I buy them in bulk at my healthy food market and keep them in the freezer rather than the snack cupboard that my family munches out of.

I am not a red meat eater and so I don't get fat through red meat that I have to worry about. But I eat fish, chicken and turkey breasts and Dr. Praegers and Bocas for my "burger" type meals. But this makes it sound like I eat nuts for protein and that's were a lot of people get into trouble as to quantity. I eat nuts for healthy fat, and the protein is a nice benefit. And, yes, I lost weight eating nuts in moderation. More importantly, I have kept the weight off eating nuts!

It's a matter of looking at your overall fat comsumption and what type of fats you are eating. Going totally fat free was not for me and I doubt you'd find any real expert to support an eating plan like that. For me it's a matter of balance and being honest about what I eat...nuts are fats to me. But I would never do without them.

I rambled, but I hope that helps!
Paula

Nancy,

Of course all or nothing thinking has nothing to do with intelligence. You proved your intelligent in your statement that there are times when SH is verboten to you! Isn't it amazing how that authentic self-assessment takes you in the right direction? It's the follow through that gets a bit tough sometimes!

Paula

Hi Shaz,

I do cardio on alternate days. I have done the one body part per day split with 30 minutes of cardio each day, but I find my knees do better when I give them a rest from cardio. So my best rotation is something like:

SH chest and back
cardio
SH legs and shoulders
cardio
SH bis, tris, abs
cardio or SM and CM if I'm cardioed out for the week
rest, long walk in neighborhood or SM, CM

My schedule permits early morning workouts only (5 am or I've missed the opportunity) and that may be why my knees aren't too happy. If you can work out later you can add more cardio if necessary (my DDs are cardio lovers) but I don't push like that on a SH rotation because I get results without it.

Have fun!
Paula

Paula

Thanks Paula. Well done for getting up at 5am to workout! I wish I could do it, but I struggle to get up at 7am for work!

Amy,

I'm back to my S&H alternating w/ BC and KPC. It's my magic formula for producing visible results. Unfortunately when I go back to GS I feel the speed is too fast, too many reps and not enough rest in between. It takes me two weeks to get the endurance back. It's funny how quickly your body adapts.

I have had suggestions to alternate 1 week S&H w/ 1Week GS. May give that a try. No increase in appetite doing this workout for me. I love the results of S&H.

~Christine~

Hi Angela,

I usually do strength every other day.
Mon ~KPC
Tues ~S&H Chest & Back
Wed ~ BC
Thurs~S&H Bi's & Tri's
Fri~KPC
Sat~S&H Delts & legs
Sund~Rest

I have to admit I have been skipping legs for a few months now because I work them so much in KPC and BC but I need to strengthen the muscles around my knees more so this week I'm including S&H legs on sat. In 5 weeks I will go back to GS's. I think everyone is different but I love what this combo does for me. I am not rigid as to what days I do the larger muscles. I have heard the C & B needs 4 days to recover and smaller muscles 2.

~Christine~

I am so glad I came accross this thread before purchasing S&H. The last thing I want to do is eat more and feel hungry. I guess I will check out her other dvd's:eek:

.Lisa

I just wanted to echo that I had no appetite increase while using S&H in a three week rotation. I love this workout!!!

Michelle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.