RWH/LI rotation turbobarre substitution

mince

I'm planning to do the low impact RWH/LI rotation from the RWH pdf. However, it has Turbobarre three times, and I just don't enjoy Turbobarre. Maybe I just don't have the right barre substitute, but I've tried a few, with no luck. I'm not sure what is a good substitute, since it's a bit different than most of Cathe's workouts. I'd thought of doing LI TBT - all the lower body part (which I like a lot, except for the music) and just the upper body section as the express premix, or skipping body parts if I'd just worked them with RWH. TBT is also a bit unusual, with all that stability ball work for the upper body, but I haven't done any of the RWH weight work yet, so I don't know if it would be a good add on.

Maybe Flextrain or the Less Impact mix off TTM would be better, or just doing Slide and Glide a few more times would be better. I've tried to like Turbobarre, but it just doesn't work for me.

Any ideas? Any comments on this rotation in general would be be welcome. I'm not actually doing it this month, but the high impact in August's rotation already has me thinking forward. The RWH HI plyo is killer, though mercifully quick.

Thanks!

Hi Mince,
It may be difficult to find another Cathe DVD to suit your needs since Turbobarre is so different, but i think it's meant to hit those smaller support muscles. If you're wanting work with the band, then Lower Body Blast has a floor section with the band as well as a barre segment; gym style legs even has a killer floor segment that uses the longer bands and a stability ball. I'm not sure what other trainer's you've tried but there's Tonique which uses very light hand weights with more upper body work in her more recent DVD's; Dreambody series uses a variety of equipment including bands/ gliders/ inflatable ball/ light hand weights; Leah Sarago's Ballet Body is barre and light hand weights; Brazil Butt Lift uses the bands...
Not sure if this was of any help?
Jamie

Thanks for the suggestions and link! It's a good video -looks challenging and doesn't just hit legs. I'd forgotten about all the floor work in GG, though I do the LLA, KM, and GSL floor conditioning. It's been a while since I did the Legs and Glutes floor section, though. I don't have LBB or the videos by the other trainers. I've wasted so much money based on all those 5 star reviews on Amazon for other trainers - which have mostly gone to Goodwill. I'll have a look at the ones you mentioned; I really like band work and gliders. Barre/floor/yoga conditioning are not my go-tos, but I guess that's a good reason to do them.

Thanks again. You've been very helpful. So on to Intensity for today and 30/30 tomorrow...

Keep us updated on how it works out for you! I think our muscles like it when we mix it up from time to time!! Have fun. ;)

I did this rotation last month, starting by giving Turbobarre another chance. It still doesn't work for me, but I think I can use some of the chapters as leg work add ons (like the band work). I'd downloaded XTrain Legs right before starting this rotation (basically to get the rear delts bonus) and tried doing it as a substitute for the next Turbobarre (including the Barre Bonus.) It's got a lot in common with Turbobarre, but I like it way better and don't get a sore back. I forget what I subbed for the last Turbobarre, but I added in an extra RWH Lift It CST and Back and Biceps and a couple other workouts.

The only lower body weighted leg work in this rotation comes from Athletic Training. TBT Lower Body isn't used. I know endurance lower body training is important, but I missed heavy weights. On the up side, Afterburn, which had a big dread factor before, was actually not too bad by the time I was almost done with this rotation. I also did Low Max at the end of the month, and was definately squatting and lunging deeper than before.

I was going to start STS 6 1/2 month next week, but I'm going to do an amended RWH/LI rotation instead, since I still need more equipment and haven't done many 1 RM. I bought a plyomat (Pogomat, largest size) for my wood floor, so I can add in RWH Legs without my knees complaining. :D (I love plyo; my knees don't)

Thanks for the help!

Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.