running in cold weather

darine

Cathlete
I just started a new exercise routine that includes 25 min running 3 times a week. I forgot that it's cold! This morning I went to run, it's 9 degree celcius. My eyes were tearing and wind was blowing. This is no condition to workout. So I stopped.

Do people run in the cold? I just woke up and my body was not that warm. Off course, I walked 5 min fast to warmup. But will I even sweat well like that? Is it worth it or should I just stick to iniside workouts?

I had a jacket and gloves. I would add a hat next time... that if I do that again. But my eyes were tearing. And now winter is coming... I have to wait until next May to run again!

suggestions, opinion? is it worth it to run in the cold or should I leave my energy for other workouts?

I ran intervals this morning for 90 minutes; it was 10 degrees Celsius with a wind. It was a bit cold to start, but I warmed up and never even noticed it after the first few minutes. You could get yourself the right clothing to run in cold weather, that helps. How much you sweat has nothing to do with the quality of the workout and how many calories you burn. If you had kept going you would have found that it wasn't an issue. Now, ice on the ground, that's an issue. Just coldness at the beginning of a run? I would tell myself to suck it up, buttercup, and keep going.

I started running outside very early spring. I was very hesitant b/c I firmly believe anything below 80 degrees is too cold! LOL. My DH bought me the right gear though and that made all the difference in the world.

They have gloves for running that wick away moisture and come in a variety of levels of warmth. I recommend them as well as something to cover your ears. It's all about layering. Running tights and long-sleeved shirts also come in the wicking material and levels of warmth.

Finally, even if it's freezing and you are dressed in your duds, you step out and are still a bit chilly, don't go back and add more. You'll burn up. I read a great tip - dress as if it's 10 degrees warmer. Once you get going, you will warm up.

Hope this helps some.
Heather

cold weather running

When I visit family for Christmas, it can be anywhere from 0 to50 degrees.
When it's cold, I layer up and wear a balaclava over my head. It's a coolmax one that doesn't retain so much heat, but covering my mouth really helps. That way I'm not gulping in such cold air.

Oh, and ear covering is a must for me, even at 50 degrees. Cold ears = pain for me :(

Cindy

That's about 48 degrees F...that's shorts weather in Colorado! If it's windy, though, that makes it colder...I agree with covering up the ears if they are cold...cold ears = pain for me, too.

I never thought I could run in the cold until this past year. I bought the right clothing, sucked it up and went out in 30 degree weather. Once I started running I wasn't cold anymore. I agree the windy days are tough but you will get used to it.

I wish I knew how cold it was inside my old ice rink in the morning, but I used to go to practice in the dead of winter at 6 a.m. and it was FREEZING in there. I would start practice in pants, a jacket, gloves, and a hat. As soon as I got warmed up though, I would strip down to the basic tank and skirt practice outfit. My poor mom would still be freezing in her winter jacket, ear muffs, gloves and coffee. All that to say, that once you get going, you will warm up. And if you go long enough, you will break a sweat even in really cold temps. I actually LOVE working out in the cold, but only once I've warmed up! ;)

I run outdoors all winter long as long as the road conditions are good. I won't run if it's under 15 degrees Farenheit, but I suppose I could. I use a fleece headband to cover my ears when it's below freezing. I wear light gloves when it's cool, heavier fleece gloves when it's colder and I layer my gloves if it's really cold. Same with tights - light tights if its' cool, heavy tights if it's really cold. I don't layer my tights, but you could wear tights under some kind of track pants if you're really cold. I always wear a fleece top if it's under 45 degrees- again, different thickness depending on the temps. If it's below 20, I'll put a layer underneath the fleece top of a thin, wicking material. Above 45 degrees, I use a light, wicking running shirt.

The rule of thumb is to dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer than the actual temperature because that's what it will feel like once you are warmed up and running. I love cold weather running as long as it's not too windy. I just love being all bundled up. :)

Erica

Last edited:
The way I figure 9C is about 48F, right? That's beautiful running weather. Long pants, a sports bra, and a T shirt. Little chilly at start, but then once you're warmed up, its perfect. "Cold" running to me is in the 30s or below, in the 30s requires a knit hat and knit gloves, which normally get removed, and below 30s req gloves, hat, jacket/sweatshirt. Below 30s though, there is normally snow on the ground/streets/walks so no running. I don't want to land on my butt. I love the cool weather, and my natural body temp is furnance like (I keep my bedroom window open all winter in N. Illinois) so I'm probably not the best hot/cold judge.

Nan

I run outdoors all winter long as long as the road conditions are good. I won't run if it's under 15 degrees Farenheit, but I suppose I could. I use a fleece headband to cover my ears when it's below freezing. I wear light gloves when it's cool, heavier fleece gloves when it's colder and I layer my gloves if it's really cold. Same with tights - light tights if its' cool, heavy tights if it's really cold. I don't layer my tights, but you could wear tights under some kind of track pants if you're really cold. I always wear a fleece top if it's under 45 degrees- again, different thickness depending on the temps. If it's below 20, I'll put a layer underneath the fleece top of a thin, wicking material. Above 45 degrees, I use a light, wicking running shirt.

The rule of thumb is to dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer than the actual temperature because that's what it will feel like once you are warmed up and running. I love cold weather running as long as it's not too windy. I just love being all bundled up. :)

Erica

I do the same. I've run in the cold and when I get home,I'll have frost on my back. I tend to get hot easily, so I find I don't layer too much. I usually wear a fleece with a zipper and by mile 1 or so, the zipper is down to let the cold in:)I love the wicking material!!!!! works well for me. My mom has a Nike and Adidas oulet near her, I'm going there in 2 weeks.....:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.