runners, can you tell me what

morris

Cathlete
iliotibial syndrome is?

i run 30-45 miles a week, and i ran at least 35 a week thru my pregnancy up until week 36. then, i felt pain in my hip flexor area when running. i had my baby 2 weeks ago and went to try an easy jog and the pain was back. i am power walking comfortably, but i have no idea what i have done to my hip. i see a pt next week, but anyone have any thoughts? does it sound like its?

thanks for any help you can provide!

ITBS is usually felt near the knee, not the hip, so it doesn't sound like ITBS to me. Hopefully your PT will be able to shed some light on it.

OMG ARE YOU SAYING YOU WENT FOR A **RUN** TWO WEEKS AFTER YOU ***GAVE BIRTH***???

omg i am ****SO IMPRESSED****

don't your hips move around when you're about to give birth?? might that be the reason for the change??

lol still can't get over the 2 week old baby mama running. YOU GO, GIRL!!! ;) :p

The itb is a band that runs from the hip to all the way down the leg to the outside of the knee, and is very painful if it becomes overused, inflamed, etc. You can do an internet search and get all kinds of information about it. You really should give your body some extra time before trying to run again after giving birth. Everything is not back where it is supposed to be yet and you might injure yourself more severely. Just my opinion.

I know nothing about the ITB band, but I would have to agree that running 2 weeks after giving birth is probably a wee bit unwise. I would hate to see you hurt yourself!

During pregnancy, the ligaments and tendons that support your muscles and skeleton soften, relax and stretch. It is possible to run til late in pregnancy and start again soon after. World class marathon runners do it. But, it sounds as if you have overstretched something and this is what is causing the pain. Hormones also do a number on body structures. I am having trouble with my right leg hip placement at the moment also. Even though it is the hip that is the problem, my PCP gave me a load of exercises to strengthen the abductors and adductors, to help the hip stay in alignment, and exercises to stretch and strengthen the illio-tibial band because this seems to be involved. Even though, typically, illio-tibial problems present symptomatically with knee pain, I believe the whole length of the leg from the hip downwards, and therefore also the hip, can be involved.

Like you, I can powerwalk until the cows come home and at great speeds, but running hurts. So far, the exercises have not helped me. But then, they can't cause any detriment either, so they are advisable.

I would advise you to refrain fro running and jogging until after your 6 week check up, post pregnancy. meanwhile, continue to regain your cardiovascular fitness with powerwalking and reintroduce lighter weights resistance training soon. You will know when you are ready. I didn't wait until my 6 week check up to start exercising again. I knew when I was ready.

I would also do some floor work, like Cathe has on GS legs, because she has there all the exercises you need to strengthen the inner and outer thigh/hip muscles. In a running handbook, research illio-tibial exercises and do some daily anyway, until your PCP can get a look at you.

Clare

I agree with what Clare said. In addition, I have had ITBS (unfortunately) and the pain most definately involved my hip and went down to my knee.

Sarah

Sarah:

can I ask you what has worked for you in treating ITBS? Do you now run pain free? Are you involved in long term prevention exercises? Did you need to change shoes to prevent it? What kind? Motion control? Any help and info would be so wonderful, thanks.

Clare

Morris:

I think you have received some great advice thus far. I too had a hip issue a few months ago. I had increased my mileage at the gym and was running on an indoor track. Carole on the cheetah checkin helped me allot. She made a few suggestions to me and currently I have no issues with my hip. One thing she suggested was a foam roller and stretching out--before and after. I'm pain free and able to run pain free.

And running two weeks after birth -- WOW!

I've dealt with ITBS on and off for a couple of years. I can't do very long distances - nothing over 3-5 miles which is ok with me. As long as I can get in my 5k's! My pain is absolutely always on the lateral (outside) surface of my knee. Usually it starts at about the 2 mile mark and you should NOT run through the pain. Trust me, it gets worse and all running experts say not to try and run through that pain. I have found that a lot of good ITB stretches (you can find a LOT online, youtube, runnersworld.com) before and after you run. I also found the foam roller to be very valuable - got mine at Target for about $20. It's painful but if I use it consistently, it really does help and the pain lessens if you use it several times per week.

Good running shoes are very important as well.

If your hip is what is hurting, check out piriformis syndrome as well. My DH has been dealing with that and he is a runner as well and doing much more distance work than I am.

Heidi

I didnt really read any of the previous posts but you can buy an ITB strap that helps with this problem and ice the area and lots of stretching. I had this problem right before my first half marathon and i worked thru it using what I suggested.

Hi Clare, sorry for the tardy response. My experience with ITBS was 3 years ago. At the time, I was running approx. 40 miles per week. I have been a runner since high school and only started to get injuries, related to running, since turning 40; another "bonus" of ageing ;-) I'm now 48.
At the time I got the ITBS, I was doing a lot of hill training. One of the hills that I was running was signifiantly canted. My left leg, the one on the higher side of the slant was the leg that developed the ITBS.
I did everything to try to treat and heal the ITBS. I went to my orthopedic surgeon, who specializes in sports injuries. She referred me to a PT, who specializes in sports injuries and still, I couldn't get in under control. The foam roller, exercises, rest, meds...nothing worked. BTW~ I do wear motion contol shoes, due to that fact that I over-pronate.
Finally, my sister told me about Pete Egoscue and his book, Pain Free. Pete's book was my salvation. Not only did I heal from the ITBS, but I also got rid of the chronic plantar fasciitis that had plagued me for years. I do Pete's E-cises faithfully and have had NO reoccurance of the ITBS, or PF. The exercises/stretches take me less than 15 minutes per day and have given me my running back, pain free.
Sorry for the "novel," but I know how frustrating injuries can be. We need those feel good brain chemicals,right?!

Sarah

thanks for all the input, everyone. i see my pt next tuesday. in the meantime i am just walking, a lot. as for running 2 weeks post partum, this is my 2nd baby. with my first i ran 6 days after, slowly at first, but up to a 10k by 6 wks post. i stayed very active during my pregnancy, and it just was comfortable for me. i understand not everyone may be comfortable, but i had an easy delivery. this time, i clearly have an injury and do not want to make it worse. i will look up piriformis syndrome and see. i miss running so much, but hopefully my problem is fixable. it is so strange to only be walking, though, as the day my son was born i did cardio fusion and muscle max, no p[roblems.

thanks again for everyone's input. it was very helpful.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.