Runner's best spary for agressive dogs

MAYNARDSMOM

Cathlete
While on my run Saturday morning a dog came out and attacked my dog that runs with me. I do have spray, but did not have it on me at the time. I guarantee I will from now on. What do other runners use and find to be the best. I am looking at HALT on amazon.

I'm sorry this happened to you! Lunging dogs is one of my pet peeves as a runner. I also get really, really irritated when the owner steps outside and yells, "Oh, don't worry, he/she won't bite!" Right. The only dog I know that won't bite is one without teeth. We have leash laws in our county, yet people still let their dogs roam free. I hope you and your dog are okay.

I don't carry spray. I'll be interested to hear what others recommend. Stay safe!

Your post comes at a good time. I was out for a run this weekend and lots of dogs and their dim-witted owners were out in full force. I like dogs(most of them) and I was a dog owner, but for heavens sake, when I'm running by you and your dog, it's not OK to let them wander into my path. I would love to spray the owners not the dogs! I actually tripped over a A little dog that ran in front of me and was on a leash. A 35 minute run and 3 dog run-ins. It makes me crazy, can you tell:).
I was wondering if a dog whistle would make them back off, and if the dog spray is too large to carry on a run?
Sherry

I was not injured during the incident except the seed of fear planted. Maynard is healing and can't run for two weeks. He won't be happy. I honestly don't think the spray would have stopped this dog. I am applying for a pistol permit. I agree with the way ownerss react "Come here foo foo...foo foo foof oo" GGGRRRR I told one man maybe if you would get off your porch that would be more effective than yelling in your underwear! Good Grief! Like the idea of spraying the people instead! bwAHAHAHA :D:D:D
The kick in the pants now is not only does the attacking dog have to be "caged" for ten days, so does mine! So irritated! Thankfully can be done at home!

I used to carry Halt. it works but very hard to keep the spray confined to only one dog and also not inhale it yourself, which will stop you in your tracks. it's red pepper and will take your breath away, sting and burn. I think it's your best choice though.

I bicycle more now and I know the problem with aggressive dogs and stupid passive owners very well...

DH and I carry bear spray when hiking. it works the same but sprays a bigger stream a greater distance. IMO the containers are too bulky to run with but if it stops a grizzly bear, it will stop an aggressive dog. It's about $45 a can. DH and I have accidentally sprayed ourselves on 2 occasions( memorable!!) so I know how it feels.

the idea is to get a cloud of spray in the air in front of the charging animal. when they run into the spray, it stops them. you need to be cautious about which way the wind is blowing and often with dogs.... the attack happens suddenly from very close by. you don't want to spray your dog, yourself, etc.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.