RT Performance Anxiety!

Jacque,

It sounds like you live on the West Coast. If so, I can certainly share with you this story about a similar situation.

I spent 2 glorious weeks on the South Island of New Zealand this April. The last 3 days of my holiday were spent in Sydney. So, I had to go west across two more timezones. So, I wasn't sure what time I was in by the time we flew back to CA.

I slept all of Saturday and Sunday. I had to be at work on Monday at 8AM for training (it ended at 5PM). My brain really didn't wake up until noon. But, I survived. I know I would have been in better shape if I was able to move around instead of remaining seated for the entire day.

I hopped on a plane and flew to Miami a week after I returned back home from Sydney for business. It wasn't too bad to be honest with you.

Good luck. But, more importantly, enjoy New Zealand! You lucky duck! I can't wait to return back to that Island as it's absolutely beautiful and the people are lovely! I only gained one pound from my 2 week adventure as we walked and hiked at least 75 miles! :)

One word of advise: Merino wool is your friend. Be sure to wear merino wool thermals. When there, do be sure to pick up possum/merino wool gloves and hat. They were my lifesaver!

See you in 3 weeks! :)

I don't know where to begin to thank all of you for responding with your empathy and encouragement. I'm truly overwhelmed. I really agonized about creating the post to begin with and now I'm so glad I did. I was on the verge of tears reading your replies, alternating with laughter at the wit and cleverness. I'm now looking forward to the RT like never before (who thought that was possible, as I was giddy with excitement when I learned I got in?!) and can't wait to be a part of this great group.

See you all in just a few weeks!

What Lorrayne said--jeez, I look at pics of myself from the 2005 RT & pics of me now..............:eek::eek::eek: 'Nuff said.

Women (and men) of all fitness levels go, Cathe knows it, & I think she tries to make the workouts fun rather than intense (not that they won't be intense, but they won't be IMAX3 either). We can save the intensity for home, this w/e is all about enjoying the few other fruitcakes in this world who consider 3 days of exercise a vacation! :p

<laughing> This is so true. I had lunch today with a friend who got to go to El Paso recently to take a master class with the creator of Zumba. So she totally "got it" about meeting and working out with Cathe. It was nice to talk to someone face to face who understands.

Hi Nancy!
I want to thank you for your original post. I share your feelings about the RT as it is my first as well. I am super excited about going and meeting Cathe in person and having the opportunity to work out with her live. I also feel a lot of anxiety over weather or not I am going to be able to keep up or look like a fool. (Especially in step, I am a clutz when it comes to step!:eek:) It is nice to know that there are others that share these feelings and it is extremely comforting to see how supportive and encouraging all of the returning RTers are. Thanks again! See you soon!!!:D

Hi Nancy!
I want to thank you for your original post. I share your feelings about the RT as it is my first as well. I am super excited about going and meeting Cathe in person and having the opportunity to work out with her live. I also feel a lot of anxiety over weather or not I am going to be able to keep up or look like a fool. (Especially in step, I am a clutz when it comes to step!:eek:) It is nice to know that there are others that share these feelings and it is extremely comforting to see how supportive and encouraging all of the returning RTers are. Thanks again! See you soon!!!:D

Jennifer, I'm really glad that all of the responses helped you out, too. It's great to have all fo this encouragement! It's going to be so much fun. I'm sure none of us first-timers are going to regret taking the plunge and going. See you verrrry soon!

Jacque,

It sounds like you live on the West Coast. If so, I can certainly share with you this story about a similar situation.

I spent 2 glorious weeks on the South Island of New Zealand this April. The last 3 days of my holiday were spent in Sydney. So, I had to go west across two more timezones. So, I wasn't sure what time I was in by the time we flew back to CA.

I slept all of Saturday and Sunday. I had to be at work on Monday at 8AM for training (it ended at 5PM). My brain really didn't wake up until noon. But, I survived. I know I would have been in better shape if I was able to move around instead of remaining seated for the entire day.

I hopped on a plane and flew to Miami a week after I returned back home from Sydney for business. It wasn't too bad to be honest with you.

Good luck. But, more importantly, enjoy New Zealand! You lucky duck! I can't wait to return back to that Island as it's absolutely beautiful and the people are lovely! I only gained one pound from my 2 week adventure as we walked and hiked at least 75 miles! :)

One word of advise: Merino wool is your friend. Be sure to wear merino wool thermals. When there, do be sure to pick up possum/merino wool gloves and hat. They were my lifesaver!

See you in 3 weeks! :)

Thanks for sharing your experience Lorrayne. You're right I am on the West Coast (Arizona to be exact). I'm actually coming back earlier than my DH and oldest son. They'll be flying to Sydney when I'm coming back home. I'm a little worried because I'll be returning Monday night, I'll have Tues and Wed at home, then flying out for the RT on Thursday. I know I'll be tired but I'll just deal with it :).

Thank you for the advice on merino wool. I've been stressing a little because I don't know how to pack for this trip. We'll be in Auckland, Christchurch, and Queenstown. I'm not sure what there is to do there in the middle of winter (besides skiing).

Please feel free to PM me if you have anymore advice or tips.:)

To the OP: You'll be fine. How often do you work out with Cathe? Just don't worry about how you look, etc. because hardly anyone here are professionals. I know I'll probably seem klutzy and downright unathletic compared to the others who are more than capable of doing two classes a day. Who cares? The point is to have fun, so enjoy.

I sympathize. I think we all have some level of insecurity as the RT gets closer. I've been upset lately because I'm having trouble with eye allergies and can't wear my contact lenses and I feel like a total nerd-geek wearing glasses :eek: ! I guess I'll have to buy one of those super-cool rubber headband things so that my glasses don't fly off during one of the races! :D

Hey Nancy - just think - 3 weeks from right now your first Cathe group class will be done, you'll be thinking "what was I so worried about" and you'll be laughing with oodles of new friends! It will be fine - and I know you know that.

I just have to add another element here. When you go on this road trip, the bonds you make can be stronger than you imagined possible. Two years ago, I went on the RT for the 2nd time. At that time I was training for the Komen 3-day, which was to be held the week after the RT. I took a shirt that I'd had made with a walking pink ribbon on the front, and at that RT I got just about all attendees to sign my shirt - which I proudly wore the following week. But there was this group of women who helped ensure that as many folks as possible signed my shirt (including signatures from Cathe, Lorrayne, Cedie, Jai and Brenda) and it was that group of women who all hung out together and sat together the whole weekend. At the dinner we seated ourselves at table 12, and from then on, we became what we today call T-12. Really nothing more than a group of 7 of us, but I can I just tell you that we have become the closest friends you can imagine.

We went to the RT again last year (all 7 of us) and just re-uniting made the trip complete. Working out and meeting so many new friends was the icing on the proverbial cake. This year, one of our crew is anable to attend, but I am SO EXCITED to see my T-12 "sisters", because truly that's what they have become.

I tell you this for the simple reason that you will exercise, chat, laugh, bond, and have a time unlike anything you have ever experienced. Get PSYCHED - park your fears at the airport, and open yourself to the friendships can last a lifetime. I can't WAIT to meet you!

Last edited:
Hey Nancy - just think - 3 weeks from right now your first Cathe group class will be done, you'll be thinking "what was I so worried about" and you'll be laughing with oodles of new friends! It will be fine - and I know you know that.

I just have to add another element here. When you go on this road trip, the bonds you make can be stronger than you imagined possible. Two years ago, I went on the RT for the 2nd time. At that time I was training for the Komen 3-day, which was to be held the week after the RT. I took a shirt that I'd had made with a walking pink ribbon on the front, and at that RT I got just about all attendees to sign my shirt - which I proudly wore the following week. But there was this group of women who helped ensure that as many folks as possible signed my shirt (including signatures from Cathe, Lorrayne, Cedie, Jai and Brenda) and it was that group of women who all hung out together and sat together the whole weekend. At the dinner we seated ourselves at table 12, and from then on, we became what we today call T-12. Really nothing more than a group of 7 of us, but I can I just tell you that we have become the closest friends you can imagine.

We went to the RT again last year (all 7 of us) and just re-uniting made the trip complete. Working out and meeting so many new friends was the icing on the proverbial cake. This year, one of our crew is anable to attend, but I am SO EXCITED to see my T-12 "sisters", because truly that's what they have become.

I tell you this for the simple reason that you will exercise, chat, laugh, bond, and have a time unlike anything you have ever experienced. Get PSYCHED - park your fears at the airport, and open yourself to the friendships can last a lifetime. I can't WAIT to meet you!

Lorrie, what a beautiful post!!!!! Nancy, she's absolutely right on ALL counts. And the T-12 group, I might add, is the coolest, most awesomely friendly and warm and loving and funny and supportive bunch of gals you'd ever want to meet!!

Sending out a gigantic T-12 hug!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement and recounting of your own experiences. It's almost RT time!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.