Road Trip from MI?

cmoroney

Cathlete
Is anyone from Michigan planning on the Road Trip in August? I am seriously considering it, but would like to know if anyone would like to fly out with me? It would be nice to go with someone.

Cheryl

Cheryl,
I'm from western MI and would love to go. My only issues are at the moment is my Dad's stem cell transplant at Mayo. If it goes well mid-April, I can go if not, I can't. Interested but cannot confirm. So, maybe I can join you and at least one other person?

Jennifer,

Hey that would be great! Please let me know - I hope all goes well with your dad's stem cell transplant.

I got on-line today to see what kind of flights were available and at what price. If we fly out of GR, they are all 1 stop flights. Which would be to Detroit, then to Philadelphia. The run around $253, that is with tax. We could leave at 8:30 AM or 10:30 AM. On the 12th the flight would leave at 4PM.

I remember you said that you worked in Kentwood. Maybe we could meet for lunch sometime. How did the meeting in Lansing go? I had two of my kids in hockey tournaments this past weekend. One was in Lansing and the other was in Midland!

Let me know.

Cheryl

Cheryl,
Yes, maybe we could meet for lunch. Last weekend, the lunch ended up being here in Grand Rapids instead of Lansing due to everyone being so busy.
It would be better to come back through Metro if we're both riding over there together.
When do sign ups begin? With only 105 spaces open, it might not last long.

Jennifer,

I am going to put my deposit down on Friday right after noon. I know with only 105 spots they will go fast. My husband plans to take our kids to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Ontario when I go. So, this will work out really well.

I think that I will rent a car once I get there. How far do you think it would be if we just drove there? Do you have any idea? I might check that out.

Cheryl

Michigan girl here! I'm from Lansing and seriously considering driving out. My younger sister was going to come with me but she just bailed on me when she found out the cost. (Goes to school/has no job = no money = I would have to pay for her!)

A friend of the family said his daughter used to live in NJ and the drive took her 6.5 hours. I figure I can do it and save on the flight hassles.

I really want to register Friday but I'm still unsure. I have NEVER been away from my family (DH and 2 young girls) for more than a long afternoon!

I would just love to go. My husband is telling me to. I wish someone else could register me and then I would be forced to go! I'll probably end up going. I never get to do anything for myself and this would be a great reward.

Hope you MI girls can make it too! It's nice to know that there are other Cathe fans nearby!

I did a map quest for Glassboro, NJ and it is 12 hours from GR, the distance is 744 miles. If you go from Lansing, it still would be 11 hours.

I think I will fly out from Detroit. My husband said he would take our kids to the Hockey Hall of Fame on that same weekend and just drop me off at that airport.

Cheryl

Cheryl and Kate.
Friday at Noon will be literally impossible for me to register and put my money down since I can't go online access at work. My only hope now is to go on the waiting list.
Please keep me posted and I will see what happens Friday after work about 6pm. I wish I could go. Flying will be alot less stress than driving.

Hope you both get in the on the 108.

Thanks for checking that out. 6.5 hours sounded kinda quick to me!

...Still can't decide whether to plunk down the cash for the RT.
Jennifer, there might still be spots open at 6. There are a lot of "undecideds" out there. Hope there's a spot left for you!

Cheryl, what is your flight info from Detroit? 11 hours - yikes! If I had to drive alone I'm not so sure I'd want to do that.

Kate & Cheryl,

6pmish on Friday night, I will be back here on askCathe to see what's happening. It would be great to fly out there with someone still. Driving to Metro is no hassle for me since I grew up near there.

Please PM with flight info so we can be on the same flight and possibly the same section. Thanks.

If I go I think I'd like to drive it. However, maybe the cost of driving isn't that much more than flying? What are your costs comin up to for flying?

Sorry - I'm not very good w/ internet lingo - what does PM mean?!

Thanks!

Kate & Jennifer,

I haven't looked on the flights from Detroit. Maybe they will be cheaper. I want to be able to get to the hotel by 4, don't you? I will check it out tomorrow.

I am going to be online at noon tomorrow. I am having my 17 year old pick up my kindergartener from school, since he gets out at noon. Let me know when you get your deposit in.

Jennifer - I hope there will be openings for you - I don't know what to expect - it seems that 105 spots isn't that many!

Cheryl

Cheryl and Kate.

Hello again. Yes, Detroit should be cheaper by a couple of hundred and nonstop, that's how it is to Rochester MN. Driving at 2.50 plus a gallon won't be inexpensive, it costs me about $60 in gas to drive to northern LP MI and back at a half tank.

Yes, if we do go, we should be at the hotel and at the airport at the same time as others so we can grab that shuttle together. I'm just hoping my Dad does well in 3 weeks so if I make a reservation I can keep it.

Tonight, I look forward to reading the discussions about the sign ups.

Have a Great Day!

Kate,

PM means private message. At the top of the box you will see a few icons, the first is to e-mail this particular person, the second is to PM them. It will appear in there presonal box.

I will PM you, so you can see how it works. When you first go to the forums, you will see that you have a PM.

Cheryl

Rhonda,
I got in! I logged on right at noon and I was #82 - I got my e-mail confirmation at 12:03! I am so excited!

I don't know if Kate or Jennifer got in. I know Jennifer was going to have to wait until after work. I knew it would sell out quick!

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I'm in MI (metro Detroit suburbs). I plan to fly out of Metro and then back into Traverse City to meet my husband up north.

What airline are you flying?

Dawn,

I saw your post onn who made it in. I don't know what airline I am going to do. I have been actually thinking of flying out of Detroit, but the prices were a little steeper. I can fly from Grand Rapids to Detroit somewhat cheaper. I am open to whatever, I would like to fly out with someone. Maybe even room with someone. I was thinking of renting a car.

My head is just spinning from all of the excitement. I think I will make reservations for the hotel room tonight.

I am open to having a roommate, also. Let me know what you think.

Cheryl

Congrats to making it in everyone, I sensed that it would sell out fast too with all the excitemnt, I do plan on however being on the waiting list till my Dad is in the clear.
If I do get in, I will see you on the plane or in the shuttle.

Most of all, Have fun in NJ and take lots of pictures.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.