RIP little birdie

Tamrahan

Cathlete
On my way to work this morning I was almost there when I rounded the corner and I was starting to speed back up a bird flew in front of my car. I tried to stop but it was over before I could brake.
I looked in my rearview mirror. At first I thought whew he made it. But then I saw him:( He didn't make it. I feel bad now. I'm sorry little birdie. RIP.
Now I keep thinking what if he is a she and has little ones waiting for thier mom. I feel worse now. :(

I still remember the first time I hit an animal with my car, and it was also a bird. He/she came across low and I didn't even see the bird until it hit. I felt so awful. Amazing I felt so badly when back then I was an avid hunter! I lived in GA and hunted just enough to keep meat in the freezer for the year. I never was a trophy or sport hunter. It saved me lots of money on meat and I knew exactly what I was putting in my body!

I always feel badly when an animal is killed by a car! At least when hunting, I was on their turf and hunting fairly!

It still bothers me when I think about it and I dodge all animals on the road when I can do it safely! Sad, but I feel worse for animals than I do for people. Does that make me a horrible person?

Tricia

I always feel bad when I see animals that have been hit by a car, and hitting one is even worse.

Years ago, I was driving down a highway at night, and suddenly there was a deer in the middle of the road, foraging for something. I put on my brakes and tried to swerve around (as close to the ditch as I could get safely), but felt a thump.

I pulled over, saw the deer lying there, then walked up to a house, bawling my eyes out. I could barely get a word out, and the guy who answered the door thought *I* was hurt.

I finally was able to say "I..(sob)..hit. (sob)..a deer".

The guy came down to the road with me, but there was no deer, just a truck pulling away down the road, and a piece of some body part (an internal organ or something) on the side of the road. Evidently, somebody had fresh road kill for dinner (and I do hope the deer was dead on impact!).

Later that week, when I returned home, my dad looked over the damage to the car (back side), and proclaimed that *I* hadn't really hit the deer, but the deer had hit me.

Somehow, that made me feel a bit better, because I knew I'd done all I could do (safely) to avoid the accident.

{{{{{Tami}}}}} I'm so sorry, but the fact that you care restores my faith in mankind. It was totally out of your control.

I still remember the first time I hit an animal with my car, and it was also a bird. He/she came across low and I didn't even see the bird until it hit. I felt so awful. Amazing I felt so badly when back then I was an avid hunter! I lived in GA and hunted just enough to keep meat in the freezer for the year. I never was a trophy or sport hunter. It saved me lots of money on meat and I knew exactly what I was putting in my body!

I always feel badly when an animal is killed by a car! At least when hunting, I was on their turf and hunting fairly!

It still bothers me when I think about it and I dodge all animals on the road when I can do it safely! Sad, but I feel worse for animals than I do for people. Does that make me a horrible person?

Tricia

Hi Tricia - I'm an animal lover to the extreme, but I do not ever judge anyone who hunts for food. I also would not want anyone to put their lives at risk by dodging an animal on the road. I don't think you're a horrible person for voicing your honest feelings, they are what they are. We had a situation here in Alberta where a young man severely abused his dog, I won't go into details because it is so horrifying. I wrote a letter to one of our local newspaper reporters letting him know my outrage. Well, the guy writes back and proceeds to chastise me because he gets all kinds of letters from people outraged over animal abuse, but not over child abuse. I have actually sent letters over these atrocities, just not to him. I let him know that he should never make assumptions, etc. etc. whatever... Anyway I don't want to write a novel here, just want to let you know what I thought about your post. I hope you have a fabulous 4th of July!

Sorry this happened, but there wasn't anything you could do.

I once had a rabbit run right into my tire while the "Roger Rabbit Movie" advertisement was playing on the radio. I cried for weeks every time that commercial came back on the radio.

Sad, but I feel worse for animals than I do for people. Does that make me a horrible person?
Tricia

No it does not make you a horrible person. I feel the same way. I think it's because animals are totally innocent and completely at our mercy. People can overcome adverse conditions to a certain extent.

Thanks for everyone's replies, it helps.

Now to totally get my mind off of it I think I will get my Ipod and listen to my new Cardio Coach instrumentals. ;)

Tami,
Like people have said, the fact that you feel bad means that you care, and it was a total accident. I know exactly how you feel, I cried my guts out a few months ago about a bunny I accidentally killed in my garden :(

Please don't beat yourself up about it. Let yourself have a good cry about it if you need to, but then let it go.

After the bunny trauma, I made a donation to the "House Rabbit Society" to at least take care of some of the rescued bunnies out there in the world, and I'm now a card-carrying member :) I couldn't help that bunny but maybe I can help a few others in his honor.

Or maybe you could put out some birdfood for the other birdies around your house? I"m sure they'd like it, and it will be fun for you to watch them! :eek:

No it does not make you a horrible person. I feel the same way. I think it's because animals are totally innocent and completely at our mercy. People can overcome adverse conditions to a certain extent.

I could have written this myself, it really sums up my feelings! I'm so sorry for what happened. A similar thing happened to me and I cried like a baby! {{hugs}}

I always feel badly when an animal is killed by a car! ...

No, not at all.
And I'm sure that if you saw a person in the road who had been hit by a car, you (like me) would feel for them as well.

I just think motor vehicle vs. animal is such a senseless death (and I think there are a lot of people out there who don't even flinch when they hit something...and some who even swerve in order to hit something.:(:confused:). Humans have already taken so much of what used to be animal habitat and chased them from their rightful homes...do we have to go around killing them with our cars. (Tamrahan, this is NOT directed at you..you certainly did all that you could to avoid the situation).

(I'm reminded of another car vs. animal situation...one night, I was driving home from college, eyes glazed over and hypnotized by the road, when suddenly I realized that something was moving in front of me. It was hoards of frogs, crossing from one side to the other. I was appalled, realizing that I'd probably run over dozens already, but there was no way to stop safely. I even thought of finding a motel to wait out the frog migration, but I was very close to home. I drove the rest of the way more slowly, and hoped I wasn't mashing more frogs on the way.)

so sorry this happened to you, just ruins your day. it's not your fault and like someone said, accidents do happen. i have a friend that was driving his new car home from the dealer and a deer leaped out right in front of him...deer died and his brand new car was totalled. :(

I know how you feel. Couple of months ago this beautiful little owl flew into my windshield. I was mortified. If it had been flying just six inches higher he would have made it. :(:(:(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.