Resting heart rate?

Wow! That sounds awfully low! You must be in absolutely fantastic shape! I was excited when I finally got mine down to 66!

I've had mine dip into the 30s when I was doing a lo t of endurance training (and I only knew because Hubby and kids and I went to a Science museum where you'd hold a sensor and a drum would play with each heart beat. He was "doof,doof, doof!" and I was "doof.....................dooof..........................doof" - He thinks it's hilarious and keeps asking me if I'm dead yet.

On the flip side, I have a hard time getting my HR over 160/170.

Liz N

Mine's 50. The lowest I've recorded was about 45 but that was when I was carrying somewhat less body fat. :)

Stebby

If I take a pulse first thing in the morning (before getting out of bed), I'm around 48-50. Sitting at the computer right now, my polar HRM registers 58 (I'm wearing it because I'm about to do my workout).

I wore my HRM to bed once so that I could check it first thing in the morning, but that didn't work because it was too dark to read the display:p, and getting up to turn on the light would defeat the purpose. Maybe I should sleep with a flashlight under my pillow.:D

When I had surgery, I couldn't get any rest because my low heart rate would set off the alarms. I finally convinced the nurses that that was "normal" for me--I worked hard to get there--and they could take me off the monitor.:rolleyes:

Glad to see that I'm not alone and that it's okay. I am always so cold and I was wondering if it had to do with a slower heart rate. That is probably silly.

I worked out on the treadmill for 50min. today and did 2 minute intervals (8mph with walking) and the highest heart rate read was 163. Is that good or should I push myself more? I felt like I had recovered after 30 seconds but still waited the entire 2 min. before increasing the speed. I've never paid any attention to see if I am in my fat burning zone. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to figure that out.

Last edited:
Whether you should push yourself more depends on how old you are, how fit you are, how you feel during the interval/blast stage.

When I am done with a hard running interval, at this current stage of my fitness and aged 44, my pulse rate can be between 28 bpm (168) at the lowest end of the range and 30 bpm (180) at the high end. This feels comfortable for me and I know I am working hard. I take the full minute or two minutes to recover, length of recovery stage depends upon how hard I pushed the interval and whether I preceded my interval workout with a 20-40 min steady state run or not, and gauge my need for rest based on how I feel.

Sounds like you could experiment with reducing the resting stage to 1 minute. However, bare in mind that the resting stage is supposed to be longer than the interval/blast stage. Adequate resting stage enables you to push harder in the blast stage. Don't short change yourself.

Clare

Glad to see that I'm not alone and that it's okay. I am always so cold and I was wondering if it had to do with a slower heart rate. That is probably silly.

I've seen a few other threads on this, and know from personal experience, that a low HR and feeling cold are two symptoms of a thyroid problem. Hopefully, your heart rate is indicative of your excellent health but, coupled with feeling cold a lot, could mean something else. . .

Thanks for the responses. I am planning on having my thyroid checked in January. I am very curious if it's okay. Something just doesn't seem right with me.

Sounds like I should do 1 minute sprint with 2 min. recovery or
30 second sprint with 1 minute recovery.
I will play around a little bit. I think it's fun to do this type of workout. It is less boring for me. I should probably try 9mph but I am afraid of hurting my knees.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.