Remember Whooping?

Evie

Cathlete
I've noticed a little something in the last few weeks about Cathe's 'performance.' It seems to me that she enjoys herself in her filmed workouts much more when she receives some kind of feedback from the background exercisers. She becomes more animated and comes up with more interesting little phrases, etc. when the background exercisers give her a little encouragement - which we, in the viewing world, tend to see as 'whooping'.

I saw this especially when watching the live shows over the Roadtrip weekend. Cathe, just like any other performer, reacts to the crowd in a positive manner.

It's got to be tough to 'perform' to a camera, after all. And, although we may not really think of Cathe as a performer, we buy her dvd's just like we would buy a movie, so in some aspects, she is a performer.

Just noticing this makes me not mind the 'whooping' in the older videos at all - and, in fact, makes me wonder if the 'whooping' shouldn't come back - we get a more focused Cathe when there's whooping.

What do you all think? Is it just me?

As a group fitness instructor myself, I agree with you Evelyn. When the class responds to you, your own energy goes up, and pretty soon everyone's having a blast. I talk back to Cathe alot while I'm doing her videos - I can't resist :p.

I talk back to Cathe alot while I'm doing her videos - I can't resist :p.

LOL - I talk back to Cathe all the time. So much so that my guy is often in the other room yelling "what....WHAT?" and then says "Oh, you are talking to Cathe."

I will "whoop", answer her questions, and just make random comments. I never realized I did it until my guy mentioned it.

lol...my cast usually whoops back at me when I make some noise but you can't hear them most of the time. I hear Cedie on occasion though. In a live class all noises are a huge motivator. But they are the best when they are not forced and simply a noise that slips out as a reaction to pure energy, fun or even exhaustion (good exhaustion that is).

lol...my cast usually whoops back at me when I make some noise but you can't hear them most of the time. I hear Cedie on occasion though. In a live class all noises are a huge motivator. But they are the best when they are not forced and simply a noise that slips out as a reaction to pure energy, fun or even exhaustion (good exhaustion that is).

So my screaming "OUCH" during firewalkers at the RT motivated you to do more? :p

We all talk back to Cathe during the workout! Every time she asks, "how are you doing out there at home?" I always tell her "I'm doing great, thanks!" or "yup, still here."

Still, I'm glad the whooping days are over since a recorded DVD you listen to it again and again and again..... it's not a rodeo!

Clare

I talk to her, too! My hubby now knows that if I'm talking from the basement, I'm probably talking to the TV. Especially if I say "let's not and say we did" or "please to make it stop" or "ugghhhhhhhhhhhh ooooffffffff"

Nan :p

I don't mind whooping as long as it's not excessive(like Rebecca in firm express and some of her other DVDs), especially when it seems to come at the perfect time. Sometimes I whoop right along with them. But if its excessive or seems fake it can get really annoying. It seems like when I do hear and pay attention in most of Cathe's workouts, it usually comes at just the right time, when I may have needed a little pick me up or when it gets really fun:)

I like it when Cathe high fives the crew and then turns and gives one to us at home - I always give her a high five! I am sure I look pretty silly, but that is the beauty of home workout dvds. :eek:

I interact with Cathe and crew too, and DH has come to learn that I just like to talk to the TV. The harder I'm working, the more inclined I am to talk, as it gives me a little boost too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this!

I do sometimes talk back to my tv...but I am not fan of cheerleader type whooping. I am so glad Cathe does not do this. I will not do some instructors DVDs because they are just too much in that area and it really turns me wayyyyy off!

When Cathe introduces her crew, she says, "Cedie, Brenda, Amanda (etc)." And then I add my name, like I'm part of the crew. I'm sure anyone hearing me would just laugh out loud. It always makes me smile!

I thought it was funny when my daughter recently wondered if the crew ever sass Cathe. I like to ask her questions which she then answers, which way are we going Cathe? Aaarrround. I like whoops ok but I'm a whooper myself.

So glad to know I am not the only one whooping :D:D:D
Today's while doing STS total I even replied back to a Quiz ( on the muscle we were using ;-) from Cathe. It was during Back segment, barbell row. I love when cathe comes up with a quiz in the middle of a fully focused moment.

I just would not have it any other way :);)

Last edited:
I do Turbo Fire and there is some whooping but its not distracting. I can handle whooping what I can't stand is the old Taebo counting . I've never done one just because of the counting.

My conversations with my workout dvd ;)

Me: (moaning grunting during the final reps) god when will this be over
Cathe: only 2 more left
Me : omg (more moaning)
Cathe: I feel like a bonus burn
Me: (more moaning) oh god is this over yet - thank god that's over :D

This is so cute!! It really made smile when I read it.

Kim

When Cathe introduces her crew, she says, "Cedie, Brenda, Amanda (etc)." And then I add my name, like I'm part of the crew. I'm sure anyone hearing me would just laugh out loud. It always makes me smile!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.