Recovery Week

ashaw

Cathlete
I'm currently 3 days into a P.volve recovery week. I did Strong & Sweaty Total Body Giant Sets on Saturday and my foot slipped on the glider while doing those warrior lunges and I felt a tweak in the muscles where the butt and thigh meet. I've had a muscle pull there before from overstretching doing Pure Barre workouts several years ago, so I decided to play it safe. Saturday and Sunday I iced the area (super fun to ice your butt!) and then made a decision on whether or not to do P.volve on Monday morning. I gotta admit, I'm really enjoying this week of shorter workouts (around 30-35 minutes), being able to sleep a little later and then do some serious foam rolling afterwards. The P.volve has been healing and therapeutic for me because in the past year I've done it for over a month when I had the knee injury last summer, I did it again after my foot/ankle healed up enough following the incident with my dog and my neighbor's dog both plowing into my leg, I did a week of it this summer when I pulled something in my calf and now I'm going back and doing the same workout I did earlier this summer. Its called Essentials Strength and Sculpt and this morning was super fun using light ankle weights, the P.band and gliders. I worked a good sweat too.

Since doing the original STS, I've recognized the advantages of a recovery week. I'm doing a modification of Cathe's STS2.0 & Xtrain 8- week rotation for October & November & noted there are 9-weeks in these 2 months .... so I scheduled a Recovery Week at the end & I'm looking forward to it!

Sorry to hear of your injury -- I hope your muscle pull heals quickly!

Since doing the original STS, I've recognized the advantages of a recovery week. I'm doing a modification of Cathe's STS2.0 & Xtrain 8- week rotation for October & November & noted there are 9-weeks in these 2 months .... so I scheduled a Recovery Week at the end & I'm looking forward to it!

Sorry to hear of your injury -- I hope your muscle pull heals quickly!
Thank you! It actually feels much better only 4 days later but my brain and body both really needed this recovery week. The total body phase of STS2.0 is intense both physically and mentally. I’ve been contemplating doing a recovery week and my body forced me too. Things happen for a reason!

I’ve been contemplating doing a recovery week and my body forced me too.
I know what you mean. I went straight from STS 2.0 to doing Tom Peto's 6-week Dumbbell Lift Series on YouTube. I'm halfway through week 5. The series incorporates a mobility stretch and 2 rest days each week, so it's only 4 days of lifting and the workouts are about 30 minutes. Even so, after I finish this series, I will definitely need a recovery week, maybe even 2 weeks. My hands and fingers in particular are sore and achy from holding the dumbbells, even with lifting gloves.

I know what you mean. I went straight from STS 2.0 to doing Tom Peto's 6-week Dumbbell Lift Series on YouTube. I'm halfway through week 5. The series incorporates a mobility stretch and 2 rest days each week, so it's only 4 days of lifting and the workouts are about 30 minutes. Even so, after I finish this series, I will definitely need a recovery week, maybe even 2 weeks. My hands and fingers in particular are sore and achy from holding the dumbbells, even with lifting gloves.
I remember when I started the total body workouts , my arms and hands were even sore! Grip strength was being challenged big time. I never felt the need for a recovery week in the past because honestly, I wasn’t pushing myself that hard. It’s like the 3 years without alcohol, improved sleep and diet and lifting heavier has been a perfect storm of results!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.