recovery protein shakes

thinsgreat

Cathlete
are these really necessary? do many of you follow up your workouts with one? if so, what is the best brand to buy? any good recipes?

Your body actually needs more carbs then protein right after a work out. Protein shakes are good but not neccessarily the best thing *immediately* after a work out. They say chocolate milk is a great recovery drink because of the carb to protein ratio. I used the P90X recovery drink myself. I use protein shakes for snacks.

HTH!

Chocolate milk? All right! :D

I drink Andrew Lessman's Secure with skim milk post workout, which seems to agree with me. I use 2 scoops to up the protein (22g) and make the taste more chocolatey. For fun I've added peanut butter or fruit, and that tasted pretty good too, but it wasn't necessary.

I use the P90X Recovery drinks...I'm SO picky w/drinks like these and I love the flavor and taste of these!

I knew you would! Another fan of the P90X recovery here! Sometimes I just use 1 scoop of it and a 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein also, vanilla creamsicle flavor!

Yes Jess - you know me well now don't you? I can't wait until my workout is finished just to have one}( I haven't added the protein yet - LOVE IT as is!!!! Thanks for the recommendation!!!!

Isn't that what Tony says? I work out just for the recovery drink... it is *so* good! }( Hehehe BTW, did you get your P90X shirt yet???

I don't think it's necessary. I've been lifting for about 20 years & made my first protein shake about 8 weeks ago. :p

I always eat right after a workout though. In the mornings it's either oatmeal or cereal, & I do put protein powder in it, plus almond milk instead of skim milk. At night after lifting it's always some high protein meal, usually meat & a veggie. I do try to avoid carbs a night as much as possible though, I'm still on post-Atkins recovery & I have, umm, carb issues. ;-)

I've never worried about any sort of recovery meal at all. If I'm hungry, I eat. But lots of times I'll do my workout, head down to the barn, do yard work, whatever, and never even think about a meal. I've never had any problems.

Hey Jess! No but it's on its way! I got my tracking info on Saturday! I can't wait to get it!!!

So are you telling me Tony got in my head???:eek:

I like the recovery drink just for the fact that I "know" I am not getting things I need. I don't take any kind of vitamins - and I know even though I eat fairly healthy I'm still not getting what I need - so to me, this is one way to get a little of that!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.