Rear Wheel Spin Bike

My husband just surprised me with a spin bike. Yay me!! I told him I wanted one back when Cycle Max first came out and I thought we would look for one together. BUT, He bought one on his own, It's a Keiser Spin Bike, which I have never heard of, and it has a rear, belt driven fly wheel. I have never seen anything like that before either. I sensed he could see my disappointment because it is NOT what I had in my mind for a spin bike.
He researched spin bikes and found that rear wheel bikes won't rust due to all the sweat dripping down on them and that they all work the same. Does anyone know if rear wheel and front wheel bikes perform the same? Any advantages to one over the other? The flywheel doesn't seem to be as large as some of the front wheel spin bikes that I have seen. Does that make any difference?
I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I just want to make sure I can still get a great workout with this bike. Any comment/knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks.

Actually, from what I have heard...the keiser is a good bike. I never thought about the sweat and rust, but it makes sense. Is this the one with the magnetic resistance? If so, you got a really good bike!! Have fun with Cycle Max!!!

It's not magnetic but rather belt resistance. It has a lever near the handle bars that you can just move with your thumb verses leaning down to turn a knob. I did cycle max this morning and it kicked my butt!

Keisers are excellent (expensive), spin bikes...give your husband a BIG hug!!!!!!! They're great quality. A spin club near me only has Keisers and I've been trying to get there to try them out. Folks I know who spin there love them.

You will get a great workout, without any wobbling, loud noise, lack of appropriate tension gradation and all the other problems with entry level bikes.

It's like asking for a car and getting a Cadillac. Yes, you can drive it, better and faster than most other models. Lucky you!

carolyn122162 said:
It's not magnetic but rather belt resistance. It has a lever near the handle bars that you can just move with your thumb verses leaning down to turn a knob. I did cycle max this morning and it kicked my butt!

Is it a Keiser M3? if so, even though it has a belt, it does have magnetic residence, creating infinite tension possibilities. Oh how I wish Santa would bring me one. :)

Your husband bought you one of the best spin bikes out there, so try not to worry about how weird it looks. It's supposed to be extremely low maintenance. Enjoy it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.