Raw Protein Advice?

caseysmomgo

Cathlete
Has anyone tried Garden of Life Raw Protein? I saw an ad for it in Vegetarian Times and it looked good, as in good for you. I looked on Amazon and some people said it tasted ok and some said it was awful. I bought it anyways, thinking I could disguise the taste somehow. NOT....:(

Does anyone have any advice on what combo of liquids, greens, fruits, elixirs(!) that I can blend with this to make it drinkable? I'm usually not picky taste-wise. I've used rice protein and hemp protein with no problem.... but I'm having problems with this, and don't want to waste it!

I've tried it with coconut milk, almond milk, water, combos of these with banana, different fruits and greens, raw cocoa powder, but blech....

Any sage wisdom? Or should I just put my big girl pants on and plug my nose and gulp it down???:p

Thanks!

Last edited:
Depending on what kind of flavor it has (is it a 'green' flavor or another type of flavor?) you could try disguising it in several ways.

"Milks" don't disguise flavor, but other ingredients can do a better job.

If it's too 'green' tasting, adding it to a smoothie that has citrus and banana can help. (Right now, I'm drinking a quart-size smoothie that has 8 leaves of kale in, made with one large frozen banana and two peeled oranges. I also added a bit of stevia, as I knew it would be very 'green' tasting, and the extra sweetness helps with that).

If it's another flavor, chocolate can cover or blend well with some flavors. (One of my favorite smoothies is a chocolate-cherry concoction based on Vega choc-a-lot Shake and Go smoothie mix and frozen dark sweet cherries).

If it's still not drinkable for you, then try using just a much smaller amount in your smoothies, perhaps along with another protein powder that you do like. If you split the amount you usually use in one smoothie into 2 or 3, you'll still get the same benefits, just over a longer period of time.

If it's truely horrid (like "Sproutein" protein powder was for me: YUK to the 9th power!), it may just end up as food for the compost.;)

Has anyone tried Garden of Life Raw Protein? I saw an ad for it in Vegetarian Times and it looked good, as in good for you. I looked on Amazon and some people said it tasted ok and some said it was awful. I bought it anyways, thinking I could disguise the taste somehow. NOT....:(

Does anyone have any advice on what combo of liquids, greens, fruits, elixirs(!) that I can blend with this to make it drinkable? I'm usually not picky taste-wise. I've used rice protein and hemp protein with no problem.... but I'm having problems with this, and don't want to waste it!

I've tried it with coconut milk, almond milk, water, combos of these with banana, different fruits and greens, raw cocoa powder, but blech....

Any sage wisdom? Or should I just put my big girl pants on and plug my nose and gulp it down???:p

Thanks!

I bought this same protein recently, tried it once in a smoothie full of stuff to hide the taste, and I haven't touched it since. I wanted so badly to like it, I have to figure out how to use it some how. I think plug and gulp may be the only way to go!!:eek:

Kathryn, that's a good idea to combine it with another protein powder and to use less of it. I'm willing to try anything at this point!

Lrusso, I'm sorry you don't like it either, but I'm glad to know that it's not just me! Looks like there'll be a lot of plugging and gulping going on!!!:D:D

I use a vita-mixer most mornings and throw in a banana, a whole apple, stem and all, with kale, spinach, carrots, green powder, water and ice. I find the apple sweetens up my green drinks much more than an orange/banana combination. Maybe add an apple.

I've never tried the stuff, but if it's not the green kind, you could always try peanut butter. PB always makes smoothies taste good! Maybe pb and a banana?

Sorry for your pain:eek:, but I thank you for this post. I almost bought some over the weekend, but decided it was more cost effective to try to make my own by mixing hemp, rice & pea protein and adding fresh greens.

Try some fresh ginger & stevia. I don't know why, but ginger helps so much.

This morning I tried it again... I used probably 1/4 of the recommended amount and combined it with chocolate rice protein.(thanks, Kathryn) I also threw in ice, a banana, frozen cherries, a few cranberries, flax seeds, flax-borage oil, and a few almonds, and peanut butter (thanks, Stephanie). I probably put more stuff in that I'm not remembering now.:D Anyways, it was drinkable!! Success!!! ...but it was probably 2000 calories!!!:confused::D

Elsie - I love ginger and I haven't used it in ages! Thanks for mentioning it. I'm definitely going to try it again soon with some more combos.

Ceci - I love adding apples, too.

I'm going to keep experimenting! Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.