Race walking

joyce619

Cathlete
I am thinking about trying Racewalking. Can anyone (Honeybunch?) suggest or tell me how to start a program?

THanks,
Joyce

I personally like to walk to music, and some good starter music is rock & roll (I like the oldies 60's & 70's stuff) which is a good walking beat. Later on if you think you'll stick to it, you may want to get tapes....Sports Music has the best.

As for a program, I think I walked less than 1/2 mile the first time. You just have to work into it. Do a warm up first, then just start truckin'. I work for time and not distance, so you may want to try 15 minutes at first, or 20. Just keep striving to go faster as you are able...keep pushing yourself.

As for form, bend your arms and pump them! Don't let them hang by your sides!!!! Take short steps and align them sort of like you're walking on a railroad track. The foot action is land on your heel, and roll onto your toe. Lead with your hips, and use that arm action to help you along. This is what is so good for your midsection. Really concentrate on what you're doing....pay attention to your form all the time.

They have videos on race walking at libraries....it may be a good idea to get one to watch to get your form down. This is a hard sport to describe!

It's very important to get good walking shoes...I wear New Balance now, but have worn Reebok Roadglider DMX, also.

Just like with any new activitiy....work your way into it. I walk two days per week now, and when I walk outside I try to get in some hills. If you walk at an indoor track, you could do some running intervals, or run up and down some stairs. That's what I do at my Y.

I don't know how helpful this has been, but I hope you try it. I've never had a walking related injury in ten years, and I know I can keep walking as long as my legs function.

Joyce,
I haven't been walking as long as Honeybunch, but I have been walking on and off for about three years. I agree with everything Honeybunch said, but would like to make a recommendation for audio tapes. I started with Kathy Smith's Lean Walk system. It's a set of three tapes, starting with beginner (still fairly challenging), then intermediate with aerobic intervals, and more advanced with anaerobic intervals. I'm not a fan of Kathy Smith's videotapes, but these audios are excellent, with constant form pointers throughout and pleasant music. They incorporate warm-ups and cool-downs and reminders to stretch.
After doing these tapes for quite a while, I moved on to faster paced tapes, which I ordered from SportsMusic. I just ordered a new one yesterday to try a faster pace.
Honeybunch, I would love a little advice from you too. I now walk at about 4.5 mph, inserting a few short run intervals. I'd like to try real race walking form, instead of my plain fast walk. Do you have any suggestions or websites I should check for form? Thanks.
And good luck, Joyce.
Freda

Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried to racewalk on Wednesday...leading with the hips is awkward but I'll keep plugging away at it :)

Joyce

anything by martin rudnow and mark fenton on subject of racewalking is good. also are there any walking or running clubs near you sometimes the running clubs have people who walk or racewalk and they may also have clinics on the subject. I have done this before. If I get any more info will pass it on check out links from videofitness they have walking websites Mark Fenton is editor of walking magazine and has a couple of good books out on setting up your own program over a year and traing for a marathon. Good Luck

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.