Quit my job today. Anybody hiring?

spyrosmom

Cathlete
I quit my job today, without another one lined up. Its probably the best worst mistake I've ever made. I just couldn't get on the same lack of ethics/moral/right behavior as management. I've been there 5 years, taking all of my, and their, 401k money with me. I turned in my 2 wks today, so they let me go today, as that's what they do. I had been looking on/off for a while, but nothing. When we got a nasty call Friday about 230 that we were working 8-5 on Sat and Memorial day whether we liked it or not, that was it. I worked, had to cancel plans on Sat and ended up negotiating a half day on Memorial day, with a lot of argument. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. DH not completely happy with me, although we talked about it alot this weekend, and the decision was mine. Not sure how the bills will be paid, but I guess I will figure that out. I am going to hit the retail places tomorrow and see if I can just pick up a part time job, all I really need to cover is my car note and groceries, DH income covers the rest. I think I will leave DS at Kindercare til the end of the school year. If I have an 8-5 job I will leave him there, if I am retail-ing it I will pull him and save the $$ and have him be home with me.

I feel SO MUCH BETTER this evening than I have in a long time. Scared, yes. Nervous, yes. But at least I don't have to get up in the morning and face a 30 min drive fighting tears of sadness and frustration because I don't want to be there anymore.

The kicker is I moved from one location in the company to another 20 miles further when the office I was at closed, then the office I am at now had a spot open, so I took it because it was 30 miles from home opposed to the 50 I was driving after the 1st transfer. Between the in office and corporate BS I would have been better staying further away and just dealing with the corporate BS, because the office wasn't bad there. I guess it was just time to go. You win some, you lose some.

I need to contact the unemployment office, though. I gave them 2 wks, but they let me go today, so I wonder if that counts as termination and I can collection unemployment? Probably not.

Off to Monster and CareerBuilder I go

Nan

Nan - Good for you! Glad you can stand up for your rights. I'm sorry you're going through this though! What kind of job are you looking for?

I congratulate you on your bravery. I've been in a similar tough pickle in the past and stayed until I had another job lined up, even tho the new job wasn't financially stable for the long haul. I was just so glad to be out of the old place, so I understand the sense of relief and the nervousness. Something better will come along eventually.
Best wishes, Deb

By profession, I am a collection supervisor for an auto finance company. However, I'd be perfectly happy puttering my days away at Hobby Lobby, Micheals, Barnes and Noble, Home Depot, Lowes - fun things. I really would just like a "fun" job that will pay the car note. That's all I need.

Some days, enough is enough!

Nan

Good luck with your job hunt!
I wish you all the best!
These decisions can be so hard but you and your DH will look back even a short time from now and realize how much of a hardship your job was.

I've basically quit my portion of our business and DH and I were just saying tonight how much happier I am since I don't have the work stress anymore. I can focus on being mom and wife rather than all of the other muck.

No luck for you on collecting unemployment however. When one of our guys says he wants to quit DH lets him go immediately. If they don't really want to be there the work quality suffers terribly (not saying that would be the case with you!:) ) and it ends up costing us to keep them around.

Again, best wishes!:)

Hi.

I just wanted to say I commend you for your bravery and wish you the best of luck finding a job that you like that will also pay the bills.

I spent some years in the collections area of a couple of banks. Fun job, isn't it!? :p

Nan, speaking from a person who is well acquainted with quitting jobs without having one lined up, I say.......You Go Girl!!!! Congratulations on saying enough is enough! I can't stand being miserable in a job. For a large portion of my working life, I'd float around and absolutely LOVED it! My happiness came way before my misery. I always had an innate sense of comfort knowing I would always find another job and I did! It sounds like you will be able to find a job that will be fun as you described and cover the bill you need to pay. You are in a great position to find something enjoyable without having to worry as much about the income aspect. If I were a jealous person, I'd almost be that! :p I'm actually trying to find something that I will really enjoy but will also be financially rewarding. I don't have much of a clue what that will be but hopefully I'll figure it out soon. Please keep us posted on what you find. One important question though, when you go on interviews, you must find out if you can give discounts to your friends in fitness! :p :+

Good for you - I lost a lot of sleep this weekend because I feel like I am being pushed backwards where I'm at. Basically all males at the top and I am sure I'll never get there.

Also don't feel like anything but a paper pusher and I am educated and have a lot to offer. Funny all the things I have heard the last couple of months are things I have been suggesting for years but upper mgmt didn't buy into it.

Am in HR in CA and here if someone quits and you let them go early then you can collect for at least the two weeks they let you go early.

Might as well file anyway. They can only deny it.

Best of luck - sure hope it all works out so you can spend more time with your little one. The years go by so quickly and you can't get them back.

Good God, I WISH I had your guts. I HATE dealing with the idiots in charge where I work but I'm trapped. People used to stay because you could make a lot of money on overtime but, with this economy, that's rapidly changing. I so salute your courage. I was just thinking today of ways to make extra money when I thought, 'Hey, I can paint. I have a friggin' art degree and can probably sell a bunch of stuff on ebay.' I checked and my stuff is better than 90% of the junk they're selling (I had to restrain myself from BUYING some good stuff, though ;-). I'll bet it's not hard to find something as a stopgap measure until you can get something really great. And I do believe you can get Unemployment if they let you go (which they did, the a*sholes). My off days are Tuesday/Wednesday and I wasted the entire day just laying around, recovering from the stressful week, prior. Is that sad? I ENVY you. I once stuck a note in our company suggestion box that read "This place is a soul killer."

Vist Dan Miller's website. He's very motivational about finding work you love. He has podcast that are available to download or just listen online. He also has books that I've found at my local library. But he has great ideas.

I can imagine that a job in collections at this time would be very difficult but it has given you some great skills. Just need to combine those with something you enjoy doing.

Nan, I wish I had your guts! I'm single and wouldn't have a drop of income if I did that though, so I guess I'd better just keep looking. This morning it was a close thing though. I very nearly walked out simply because I didn't want to be here. But "here" is better than home with no food in the house, right?

Good luck on your job search! I hope you find something you really love!

I am so happy for you Nan, you can just hear the relief in your post. It took a lot of guts to do what you did. I have been able to do something I love for about a year now and it has made all the difference in the world.

All the best in your next position!

Coni

Good for you girl! I would have done the same thing in your shoes. Plus with gas prices creeping up, hopefully you will find something a lot closer to home and save some $$ there. I always say that when things aren't working, you have to shake it up. I'll bet you find something you love this time around!

Good for you! I'm sure you're scared right now, but there's opportunities for you now. Have you considered going to a temp agency like Manpower to see what they have available? Even though those jobs are posted for temporary workers, if they really like the candidate that fills the temp. position, many times they will hire that person on a permanent basis. Just something to consider....
Oh, and yes, IA with the above poster, now you can get something closer to home and avoid the gas and traffic headaches and hopefully spend more time with your family.
I'd be willing to bet that this is a blessing in disguise.
Best of luck to you!!

I did the applications at the Target/Walmart/Home Depot yesterday, and kicked out quite a few resumes as well. Had an interview yesterday at an office that went fairly well, and another one today, in business to business collections. Wish me luck. I've been looking on/off for a while, but didn't really have the time to put a lot of effort into it with the hours I was working. There's actually quite a bit that fits the bill, and will pay the bills!:)

Luck to me,
Nan

Nan,

Good for you.

Staying in a job you hate because you want to do the "responsible thing" is an awful waste of life. Life is so short, being miserable is not responsible, unless the situation at work is a temporary thing. Something good will come up, and things might be tight until then. But it will be all worth it in the long run. If you decide firmly that you want a satisfying job, your will makes it happen. Fortune favors the brave.

I have my fingers crossed for you that you will find work you enjoy very soon.

~* Vrinda *~

Jobs are a dime a dozen you will find something in a couple weeks. Sounds like you have a go to attitude that employers will be looking for. I bet you will have a few job offers to choose from. Sell yourself strong!

Good Luck!

I agree that you did the right thing. Some people in your position consider going to a temp agency so they can check out companies before they commit. Would that work for you?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.