Question I never thought I'd be asking?

Mic

Cathlete
For those of you who have had breast augmentation, why do I consistently hear that women wish they had gone larger? I know not everyone is thinking of looking like a playboy bunny, so why do so many wish they had gone larger? Is this because once the implant is inserted it's a little smaller than the size you thought it would be? I'm considering this procedure and I just wanted to ask. Thank you.

Implanted breasts generally look a size smaller than they really are so yes...they are smaller then what you see when you "try them on" in the doctor's office or then what you expect when you hear the doctor say that this size implant should bring you up to about a C cup or whatever.

I had the surgery done in 2002. I am very happy but I am one who wishes I had gone a bit larger and it's not out of the realm of possibility that one day I will. :)

HTH!

I can't answer for everyone:)
I've had implants for 21 years. I've had 3 revisions in that time. First thing you should know about getting implants is that they do not last forever and the complication rate is higher than most doctors are willing to admit to. Remember, plastic surgery is a business. I know you didn't ask this, I just want to clarify why 3 surgeries.

Each revision I went larger for a couple of reasons. Mainly to fill in loose skin, and yes, I like the look.
One reason most women regret not going larger is that augmented breast look smaller than natural. An augmented D cup looks more like a C. Many women make this mistake and ask for a C cup, then end up looking like a B.
When you consult with a good PS, he will tell you not to think in terms of cup size.

If you are considering this. I HIGHLY recommend you spend at least 6 months reading implant forums AND explant forums. You need to know the good,bad, and the ugly when it comes to implants.

>
>If you are considering this. I HIGHLY recommend you spend at
>least 6 months reading implant forums AND explant forums. You
>need to know the good,bad, and the ugly when it comes to
>implants.

A good site to visit is www.breastimplants411.com They also have a forum there where the topic of "boobie greed" is often discussed.:)

I do not have implants but after a few heated debates here I wanted to find out more about them and the site I mentioned above was very informative.

HTH

Thank you so much for that information. I knew there was a reason why women made that statement. Now I know I'll probably tend to lean towards the larger size, for some reason I did think that what you tried on was what you got, but now I know differently. Thanks again.

>>
>>If you are considering this. I HIGHLY recommend you spend at
>>least 6 months reading implant forums AND explant forums.
>You
>>need to know the good,bad, and the ugly when it comes to
>>implants.
>
>
>A good site to visit is www.breastimplants411.com They also
>have a forum there where the topic of "boobie greed" is often
>discussed.:)
>
>I do not have implants but after a few heated debates here I
>wanted to find out more about them and the site I mentioned
>above was very informative.
>
>HTH

Yeah, there's always someone waiting to throw morality or whatever in the mix. The pro implant forums are more open to discuss all issues without the judgments.
I like to read breastimplants411, however I never felt comfortable posting there. It's a public forum ran by a man. Not that men bother me, but it bothers me when men voice an opinion about this subject- I say they need to own breast first!

I like this site...
http://www.implantforum.com/

It's a private forum for women only. No men allowed. I know Rebecca goes to great lengths to keep the trolls out.

A word of caution about the doctors listed on the forums. The doctors pay a fee to have their names listed. Don't choose a doctor based on forum lists. Use the forums as a means to research.

I had my first implants in November of 1997. After nursing 4 children, my bra size was about a 36 LONG!!! LOL
I went from a small "B" to a full "C". Almost three years to the day later (November 2000), one side sprung a leak. Now that's weird to wake up to!!!

Anyway, I had them both replaced with slightly larger ones. Still wanting more a month later, I had larger ones put in. That put me up to a double "D".

In December of 2002, I had those gargantuan things taken out and replaced with very small implants. I now where a full "B" to small "C".

Having my breasts that large not only caused me neck and upper back pain, it was absolutely NO FUN working out. If I did jumping jacks, half the time I had to hold my breasts while doing them.

I'm very glad I had them removed, but also glad for the experience of having them in the first place.

Dianne

My thought on this is that most are happy with the size initially but them become accustomed to it, therefore wishing for more.

I think a lot of this has to do with wanting to get more "bang for your buck",ha..ha..,No but really ,Try to consider being in proportion to your whole body in considering your implant size.It would be a pain in the butt to not fit in clothes well because of your breast being so large that they are not balanced with your rib cage and waist .Also something else to consider is that breast tissue is typically one of the first places women gain or loose weight so depending on where you are at with your goals with your body could effect your decision as far as size goes as well.Being really active and I mean activity that involves a lot of impact will effect the size you want to be as well.Anything larger than a full C, can be a little overwhelming when you are jumping up and down.It never hurts to be conservative ,especially if you like to wear a lot of the push up bras that are so popular right now. Good luck with your decision and BABY YOURSELF after surgery.;-)

One thing you must consider is that when you are in the MD's trying them on, you are not at all use to seeing yourself with a fuller chest. So woman not really wanting a "top heavy" look will go ultra conservative because even a perfectly proportioned size still looks so foreign. After the surgery and all the healing is done, you get use to how it looks and realize you were too conservative when selecting a size.

It is true, they do look smaller than real breasts. Also, if you go under the muscle, that will compress a bit, especially if you strength train.

What my MD did was she worked with me to get a fit right for my body type. She made me try on every single pair...even the Pamela Anderson sizes!LOL!! Then, after I made my selection, my MD ordered the implant a bit larger...she ordered the size that would give me the look I wanted after it was all said and done, healing was done, etc.

Thank you, I wonder why most surgeons don't really let you know that they are smaller than natural breasts therefore it does make sense to try on the larger size to get a better idea of what you want after it's been put in. Mine would be placed under the muscle, I'm only 5'2 and 104lbs, my ribcage is about 29 to 30. I'm leaning towards 375cc in order to get the look of the 350cc but now I'm thinking I might need to add just a little to that. I'm still trying to get all this information on overfill and underfill, geez it's a lot of information. Thanks, I find talking to women who have had the procedure is truly informative.

Another reason for women going larger the second time around is because the surgeon can only stretch the muscle so far safely the first time. A good surgeon will only go so far with size. The implant must fit your chest wall. Anything too large can cause REAL problems like symmastia or bottoming out.
You don't want to look like Pamela Anderson! She went too far with size and looks to me like she has symmastia. That is when the chest muscle is pulled off the sternum- The skin between the breast is tented up and looks swollen.

The difference between 375 and 350cc's is about a teaspoon of water.That is not a big difference. You have to go up about 100cc's to change cup size. The style of implant is as important as size(if not more) and will probably confuse you more! Take your time and read the forums, ask questions. Consult with at least 3 different doctors and ask for pictures and patient references.

Wow, only a teaspoon of water, I didn't know that. Now I don't feel so afraid with that. I know he did mention on my body type 400cc would be the largest he'd be willing to go because of what you had mentioned regarding stretching the skin, and your right I don't want problems from going to big. I will continue to read the forums. Thanks again, everytime I check I get a little more useful information. Thanks again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.