Question for runners. (newbie trying C25K)

sugarbear

Hello!

I'm mostly a lurker here but have been doing Cathe workouts for a while. I've always had a desire to try and run and came across the C25K program. I'm really excited to try it. My question is I don't want to give up stregnth training. Is it all right to do Muscle Endurance a couple days a week in between running or is that over doing it? Have just started this week and think I've done pretty good. I can't complete the eight intervels of week one (did six today) so I know I have a ways to go but I'm proud of myself for getting out there. I'm very shy and was terrified to run in front of people. I run on the track at the school here in the morning when everyone is dropping thier kids off. Once I realized nobody was falling down laughing at me I felt a little better! This is way out of my comfort zone but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Thanks for any advice you can give!
Alicia

I run (or do step) and do weights. I'm no running pro or anything, but as long as you fuel appropriately for your workouts, I don't see any problems. Or I haven't had any issues...

Heather

Hi Alisha!

Yes! You can do both! You'll need a rest day in there now and then, especially when you hit the later weeks of C5K! I used the same program earlier this spring with great results!

If you would like to, come check out our new runners group in the Check Ins & Challenges Forum! Here's the link: http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268889

We have a lot of fun and help each other out! There are a lot of interesting workouts that are shared, too!

Good luck and hope to see you in our new runners group!

Hi Alicia,

I agree with Heather and Tricia. I run and also do weights and workout with kettlebells. Listen to your body. It will tell you if you are overdoing it.

Good Luck with the program! I started running in late 2007 and I love it!

Thank you all so much. I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions along the way. Maybe I'll check out your runners group sometime. (Even though I'm not officially a runner, hee.)
Alicia

Alicia - the running group tricia referred to is a beginner's running group. Don't be shy. :)

The C25K program is a great way to get started but you might be surprised how quickly you progress and that group is a great resource. (I just joined and they are a very nice group of ladies!)

Not only can you add in weights, you absolutely should! Cross training is very important for runners, and weight training is important for damned near everyone. Strength training 2-3 days a week will do wonders for your running and overall fitness. And that new runners check-in group rocks - an absolutely amazing group of women that it is a privilege to be a part of.

Hello!
Is it all right to do Muscle Endurance a couple days a week in between running or is that over doing it?
Alicia

I don't see a reason not to. So, I'm guessing your rotation looks like:

MWF Jog/walk
TT ME

Don't forget some yoga or Stretch max to keep you from tightening up and being in pain.

I am working that program again, this is my rotation (broken down) I don't know if this will help:

MWF Jog followed by easy yoga
TT Step Intervals, Step Ckt
Sat: Advanced yoga

Are you checking in with the new runners? if not you should join us, lots of us are newbies.

Thank you so much for your advice and invitation. I really may take you up on it because I know I'm going to have more questions along the way. I'm glad I asked about the weight training because I really thought I should but had some people tell me to lay off. It makes sense to me to do it if my body isn't truly yelling at me to take a break. And my week will go MWF-run and TT-muscle endurance and Sat-yoga with Sun-off. I'm so excited! I really, really want to accomplish this. I've never been athletic so it will take time for me to get a groove I'm sure, but maybe I can do this!!
Alicia

Don't worry! Not many of us were (or even are yet!) when we started the group! Some of us just dabble! ;) I haven't even run my first 5K race yet!

Thank you all so much. I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions along the way. Maybe I'll check out your runners group sometime. (Even though I'm not officially a runner, hee.)
Alicia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.