question about lifting

ReneePruitt

Cathlete
How long are you supose to wait before lifting again. I did push pull Tuesday and planed on doing it today. Didn't know if rule of thumb was 48 hours or 72 hours between lifting ...sorry if this is a dumb question.

I'd like to know as well! I always thought it was every other day but I watched a video the other day from some body builders that said they rest minimum 5 days before working the same body part again. They were guys and huge so I'm wondering if it depends on your goal (gain mass or lose fat)?

Could be. I want to have lean muscle lose weight and fat. Then there is the other tjing I asked Noone seemed to answer yet..someone said you can't lose weight and get muscle at same time. Or at least keep the muscle. I heard now u should lift to burn fat. So now I'm confused again. Seems like o get conflicting info all the time.
. .

I'd like to know as well! I always thought it was every other day but I watched a video the other day from some body builders that said they rest minimum 5 days before working the same body part again. They were guys and huge so I'm wondering if it depends on your goal (gain mass or lose fat)?

Body Building is a different beast then what most people on these forums are looking for. I am an ex-BBer myself and can tell you that training 1-2 body parts max per week is to allow for complete fatigue of the muscle group as well as a full week's recovery for optimal muscle repair and growth (provided caloric needs are met to sustain gains).

The rule of thumb is 48 hours. Some say 24 hours, but 48 is the rule of thumb. Example you lifted on Tuesday doing "pull" you would do it again on Thursday at the earliest. You could do "push" on Wednesday because they are different muscles. if you find that even after 48 hours of rest you are still shaky, have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), or even just fatigued, you should allow for another full day of rest. Depending on how hard you work, it's far to stick to 2 workouts per week until your body adapts or lower the weight selection.

Hope this helps.

mrsprincess07 said:
Body Building is a different beast then what most people on these forums are looking for. I am an ex-BBer myself and can tell you that training 1-2 body parts max per week is to allow for complete fatigue of the muscle group as well as a full week's recovery for optimal muscle repair and growth (provided caloric needs are met to sustain gains).

The rule of thumb is 48 hours. Some say 24 hours, but 48 is the rule of thumb. Example you lifted on Tuesday doing "pull" you would do it again on Thursday at the earliest. You could do "push" on Wednesday because they are different muscles. if you find that even after 48 hours of rest you are still shaky, have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), or even just fatigued, you should allow for another full day of rest. Depending on how hard you work, it's far to stick to 2 workouts per week until your body adapts or lower the weight selection.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. What about where I heard u can't llose weight and keep muscle at same tiime?. I heard muscle will help u lose fat. So how is both or these statements true? Or is it not? What is a way to lose weight and fat yet sstay toned and strong?

Thank you. What about where I heard u can't llose weight and keep muscle at same tiime?. I heard muscle will help u lose fat. So how is both or these statements true? Or is it not? What is a way to lose weight and fat yet sstay toned and strong?

You can lose weight and keep muscle at the same time. It's hard but you can. Some of us very lucky ones can also gain muscle while losing fat although the majority of the population will not be able to do so. The key to keeping the muscle and losing the fat is a 3-fold issue:

1) you have to strength train on a regular basis and it must be a challenge; no more than 15 reps per set otherwise you start to work the endurance fibers (slow twitch) and the "size/power" fibers decrease. Each body type has a different amount of each fiber in various parts of the body- completely different subject.

2) You must eat ENOUGH calories. An excellent body building and physique expert by the name of Tom Venuto once said that "You must FEED the fat, not starve it". Too many people drop their caloric levels too drastically and thus, starve off the muscle and keep the fat. It's not uncommon to see women talk about needing to workout 90+ minutes most days just to maintain. Their issue is they've lost too much muscle bringing their metabolisms to a hault. They have more fat tissue which is metabolically slower. The slower it is the more work (exercise) it takes to just maintain the weight you've got let alone hold off any fat gains. It is recommended for fat loss to start with a 10% caloric deficit from your TDEE. No more than 15-20% max. 20% is not for those that intend to do vigorous forms of exercise. Again, when you burn more calories, you needs to consume more just to lose.

3) You have to eat a certain way. Some people are Clean Eaters some aren't. Being a clean eater does help. However the key is to make sure you are getting enough complex carbs for energy bc if you lack energy, muscle is broken down in order to the energy the body needs. The same thing happens when you eat too few calories, your body eats the faster burning tissues (muscle) and keeps the more energy efficient tissues (fat, bone, etc) because it requires less work to maintain. Anyhow.... YOu also need to make sure you eating enough protein and eating often enough throughout the day. I am a firm believer in intuitive eating so I don't do the timed meals bc I am not always hungry for them. The goal is however to eat when hungry. If you get the crumbles in your stomach, you've waited too long to eat and that hampers muscle growth and maintenance.

Muscle does help you lose fat. In fact again, many fitness and physique experts will tell you that muscle burns fat. And I've always found this to be true. There are arguments all the time whether an extra pound of muscle burns 4-50 calories more per day. Regardless of how much the muscle burns isn't the point calorically speaking. When your metabolism is fired up and lifting does that, you get an afterburn with moderate to vigorous strength training. Depending on your intensity level you can expect that your metabolism is fired up for 24-48 hours. Some reports have shown that to be as long as 72 hours when it's vigorous and hardcore (but this runs greater risks of injury so please be cautious!!!). Your metabolism is fired bc it's repairing the damaged cells and if you eat enough AND you have the body type (mesomorphs tend to be the only ones that can do this some meso-blends can too) you can even build muscle while in a calorie deficit. The body requires a lot of energy to repair the body and it gets it from fat which is where the fat burning really kicks in. If you don't eat enough to support both your activity level AND weight loss, you will break the muscles down further, not only losing more muscle but also becoming weaker.

When you are a weight lifter you tend to lose weight more slowly but the inches and Body Fat%s change dramatically. I've lost practically nothing according to the scale but dropped 1-2 jean sizes. LIfting weight does amazing things for the body and to the fat within the body. I've also only lifted 3 days per week for 45 minutes and walked at a moderate intensity at various times throughout my life and had better, longer lasting results than when I made cardio a priority. Cardio they say (if you're a weight lifter) is done for heart and overall health, not for weight loss. But again, I come from a body building background so I might be biased. Although I do love my cardio and my longer steady state workouts (not an intervals fan although intervals are recommended when doing the weight-focused routines) and mostly cardio routines tend to make me soft and weak regardless of size.

Most people that lose weight will lose 30% of it from muscle alone. This is why and this is how to avoid it. It's late and with pregnancy brain, I forget a lot of things that are typically second nature for me. Because of this, if I have missed something or confused you, let me know and I can explain further any details needed.

Last edited:
Thanks so far I'm doing. Most all Of this. I think ii eat right. I coould do better. I hate to say it but I've GAINED 6 pounds in 6 months. I was trying to lose I did measure myself...I have not lost any inches but i haven't gained inches either .

. that's thee only thing that keeps me trying, is I havnt gained inches. I did manage to lose one pound since the 6 pound gain.
So I'm guessing hoping if I keep? Going my weight loss will happen now.
About 20 yrs ago I lost 70 pounds byy eating llowfat high neutriant foods and cardio with light weiights everyday. But I don't see that working now I gained 40 back in the last 5 yrs stress lazy and eating fat again. I then tried high protein 'I gained. So I decided to do lowfat again and see how that works again but I have to say one pound in over a month iis frustrating. I havve been lifting heavey for me two to thrree times a week cardio four dayss a week. I even jogged 4 miles every other day and it was still no weight loss. Now pf in foot I can't run far.. I'm to heavy forr my feet I think lol. I am only 5 1 and a half 149. So can not afford more weight gain. Lol. Thanks foor ur help
I will keep trying.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.