Question 4 "fiber revisited"

msbone

I too have been recently reading more and more of the positive effects fiber has on the body, especially the benefits when trying to shed pounds, which I am, but I am having the darndest time getting in 30g/day. I read labels, keep a daily food diary to track calories/fatg/and now fiber intake, but I am falling way way short of 30g/day!
Any suggestions to "fiber up" my meals would be greatly appreciated.
I do the whole grain breads thing exclusively, veggies daily, salad daily, but still, I'm falling way short. Maybe I'm not chosing the highest fiber foods?
Could you guys share your "fiber secrets?"
Thanks, Anne

Hi Anne:

Let me tell you - high fibre is great! Six years ago I joined Weight Watchers and used the High Fibre-low fat plan. I lost 44 pounds and was never hungry. I still follow it as a matter of fact since there are so many foods that I love which are high in fibre, including, of course, vegetables and fruits, and beans.

Anyway, a trick I learned was to start building my fibre intake early in the day on a half cup of high-fibre bran cereal. Do you get President's Choice products where you are? They make a cereal called Fibre First. It has something like 11-13 grams of fibre per half-cup. Top it off with some other kind of cereal -- I use a combo of raisin bran and Special K strawberry.This gives it extra crunch. You can spice it up with cinnamon or allspice to give it that extra zing.

I also have at least a half-cup of beans every day. Kidney beans are a staple and I mix them with black beans or lentil. Add some chili powder and squirt of ketchup, stick it in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes and you have instant chili without the carne (i.e. without meat).

President's Choice also make a "Too Good to Be True" (TGTBT) line of low-fat instant soups. The highest in fibre is their vegetarian chili. It has about 15 grams of fibre per serving. Also good is TGTBT Southwestern 5-Bean (11 grams), Curried Lentil, and Black Bean.

Load up (I mean pig out!) on veggies as well -- brocoli, cauliflower, baby carrots, cabbage -- they're all high in fibre. I steam my veggies and smother them in salsa sauce and President's Choice Santa Fe sauce. (can you tell I'm a President's Choice fan?)

Hope some of this info helps in your fibre quest!

Patricia

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-01 AT 03:56PM (Est)[/font][p]I easily get 30 to 35 grams of fiber/day but I'm semi-vegetarian. You're doing the right thing - reading labels, whole grain foods & lots of vegies & fruit. Other things I do:

1) Minimize processed foods to the extent time allows
2) Try & start out the day with a fiber rich cereal & fruit
3) Plan for fiber rich snacks: apple/pear w/ peel or vegies
4) Don't forget legumes like beans & lentils (like Honeybunch, I add rinsed, canned beans to vegie salad. Also vegie soup w/ beans can be super nutritious)

Nutritionists warn against relying on fiber supplements because they tend to cause absorption problems of nutrients (just in case you considered this).

Anne, add fiber slowly to your diet or you're going to have some undesirable side effects.

Debra

Patricia posted at the same time - looks like we're on the same page!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-01 AT 04:28PM (Est)[/font][p]My two top high fiber eats are Fiber One (14 grams per 1/2 cup)and pinto beans! My intake with just the cereal and 1/2 c. of beans is 49 grams. Any kind of legume beans, navy, great northern, kidney...all are high in fiber. Plus our all favorite...baked beans.

Thank you ALL for your suggestions, I have never been a big bean or soup eater, guess I'm about to change that! (smile)
I'm looking forward to going to the grocery store already!
And thank you for the tip on fiber supplements, I was considering it and now I know not to~I'll get my fiber naturally! Thanks EVERYONE! Anne

I would just like to add that, as you increase your fibre intake, be sure that you are drinking plenty of water.

I like to eat beans in a tortilla. I prefer flour tortillas to corn. You can heaten a tortilla up right on the burner of your stove. But watch it and turn it--it heatens up quickly. Jeanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.