Pyramids or Pure Strength? Muscle Max is too much

I have searched and searched but can't seem to find my answer.
I have been doing another workout program, but now I am ready for weights and more toning. (recently got a set of barbells)

I have muscle max but it's a bit too much, because I need something to help me concentrate on the proper form.
so I am not sure which one will help me with form. ;)

help is greatly appreciated.

Not Cathe but . . .

If Muscle Max is too much, I would go with Pure Strength (Pyramids is pretty intense, too). Pure Strength helped me with my form (e.g., I was doing deadlifts wrong until Cathe demonstrated it in PS Legs). As more of a starter, I would go with Pure Strength. Then move to Pyramids.

My two cents

I agree - Pure Strength. Pyramids, IMHO, is more challenging than Muscle Max, although they are still quite different. Pyramids is definitely an endurance workout.
Be certain you are lifting at the correct weight, as well. Don't go for too much or try to match Cathe. Muscle Max is a great, flexible workout that should provide you great opportunity for gains. It's one of my favs!!

Although you didn't mention it in your posting, I feel the Slow & Heavy series is Cathe's best weight workout to concentrate on form because the reps are very slow and concentrated. Also, because there's a good amount of rest between the sets, she has plenty of time to give form pointers on every exercise. It's the first series I come to when I've taken a break because I know I'll get some good reminders and tips on proper weight lifting technique.

Hope this helps!

John

Although, if you are relatively new to lifting, you need to significantly reduce the amount of weight you lift per exercise if starting with S&H because this lifting style is deceptive: you start out thinking it's easy but after a few reps the fatigue sets in quickly and beginners can find that they max out too early and cannot complete the sets. Yes, I speak from experience!

Clare

Another vote for Slow and Heavy vs Pyramids or Pure Strength.

You can focus on form get a great workout like Clare says, even with using lighter weights until you get stronger.

~* Vrinda *~

I never considered slow and heavy, but it makes sense. it just looks intimidating!!!!

i really appreciate everyone's suggestions. thank you

I used to be afraid of weight workouts. But once I figured out that I could use weights that I was comfortable with, I got into it. So what if Cathe is using 62 pounds on a barbell and I'm using a pair of 5 lb dumbbells? If it works for me, it's all good! :D Now I'm using 15# dumbbells for that particular example. Still not Cathe's weight, but I don't need to -- and shouldn't be -- lifting exactly the same weight as Cathe.

April

I learned everything I know about form from Pure Strength. It was the first Cathe workout I did and I did nothing else for about a year. I highly recommend it. Try doing all squats and lunges without any weight first, and only add weight if it seems too easy. Your body weight is usually plenty to get a good workout on those exercises.

Having just done S&H legs and shoulders this morning, I would highly recommend this as well. Cathe's cues on form on top notch in this series - but the previous posts are right. Just go light on the weight. Muscle Max is one of my favorites, and personally, I think you could do it and just go light the whole time. Good luck, and have fun!

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.