Pyramids, Gym Styles, or Slow & Heavy?

stephl

Cathlete
What to do, what to do? I want to buy another strength training DVD. I've got Muscle Max, Supersets & Push/Pull, and Muscle Endurance. My goals are to increase muscle definition, decrease BF, and improve strength. I can only get one, so which one should it be? I can workout about an hour a day, 5-6 days a week. Obviously, cardio workouts need to be in there too.

I've looked at the descriptions of all of them, and can't decide. Help me! Which have given you the best results for my goals?

Thanks!:D

I think since you already have 2 total body workouts I'd go for Gym Styles which is a split. I chose that one over S&H b/c S&H takes alot more mental concentration and for me at least I have a hard time committing to the SH series for more than 2 weeks. GS also has shorter premixes if you're crunched for time. I like Pyramids and do use them, but they'rve still got a "total body"/upper body feel.

I'd recommend Gym Styles, too! S&H is fantastic also, but, like Stacy said, it's hard to do them for too many weeks in a row. :)

I guess in my thinking I'd go from total body to a two day split, so I'd get the Pyramids first, then I'd get the Gym Styles next time, moving on to 3 day split.
Angela:)

I'm with Leanne on this one. Pyramids still has a major endurance focus to it, and you already have enough muscle endurance stuff already. SO, either GS or S&H. Probably GS first, and then as you get stronger then move to S&H for purer strength training.

There is no rule that says you have to go from total body workouts to 2 day splits and then to 3 days splits. It is a valid approach, but if you are already proficient at MM, you can move straight to GS without a problem. I always do when I am coming back to weights after a break.

Clare

They're all good, but I'd recommend Gym Styles. For going heavy, S&H can't be beat, but as mentioned already it's a workout you do every now and again for a couple weeks.

MuscleGuy

I personally prefer S&H and Pyramids to Gym Styles, but that's just me. Slow and Heavy is much easier on my joints, since the movements are slow and controlled. But I think I'm in the minority there.

I just wanted to chime in to say that Gym Styles is 3 separate DVDs, so it would cost you $75+ for all 3. The other two are cheaper, $45 - 50 for the whole body's workouts.

I would definitely go for Gym Styles. Slow & Heavy would be my second choice, Pyramids would be my last choice. I think Pyramids is the most similar to what you already have, as others have said. GS and S&H are both great programs (so is Pyramids, don't get me wrong), but based on what you have been doing, I think that GS is the most logical next step.

I saw the best results with Pyramids. Big time. Just wanted to add this.

I have all three sets - pyramids produced the most hypertrophy for me - and strength as well. They go hand-in-hand. Good luck, whatever you choose! PS - once I memorized Cathe's pyramids, I mixed it up on my own, adding new exercises...

Clarissa ;)

Hi Stephanie,

Gym styles and Slow & Heavy are both great.

It seems to me that I got more definiton from S&H than the GS. And I do agree that because of the slower pace, S&H is easier on the joints, especially for shoulders. For back and triceps, I prefer GS but for shoulders, it's S&H (for biceps, I have no preference).

If price is an issue, than you would be better with S&H.

HTH
Nathalie

Slow and Heavy and Gym Styles are my fav. Now 4DS is my new favorite. I prefer doing 3 or 4 day splits over more endurance I get better results that way:)
Randi

Well, I ordered Gym Styles yesterday, and will start a rotation with them next week. I'm doing a split w/ Muscle Max and cardio this week until I get my GS. I hope I get the results I am wanting - time will tell!

I'll probably modify GS Legs quite a bit, as I am struggling w/ knee problems (most likely chondromalacia patella.) Gotta get some quad strengthening exercises in there too. Impact has been a real problem, so I'll be laying off a lot of step for awhile. Now I can get my Cathe fix w/ more lifting! :)

Clarissa - When you got the great benefits from PUB/PLB, was that doing the up and down pyramid, or did you do it differently? Thanks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.