Puzzle mats

star_dust

Cathlete
hello - i mostly lurk, but have a quick question for those who have or have had puzzle mats. We recently got new berber carpeting and I was thinking of using puzzle mats to preserve the carpet and give me a better surface to exercise on. They are a little expensive here in europe (about $150) - so i want to make sure it's the right thing to do before i buy them. But, I am not sure how they work...do i pick them up and put them away each time i exercise? is this more hassle than it is worth? do they stick together while you exercise? what have been your experiences? thanks in advance!

I've been going through the flooring/puzzle mat issue too. We just finished our basement, and I have berber over cement.

I recently bought [a href="http://www.amazon.com/Ironman-Deluxe-Flooring-System-2x2/dp/B000EJTEJ0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1211557013&sr=8-5"]Ironman[/a] puzzle mats. You put them together like a puzzle and can leave them out or put them away each time if you like. They're about an inch thick and very light.

They don't slide terribly, but they do travel a bit during a 60 minute step workout. Once I put my puzzle pieces together just the way I want them, I put heavy dumbbells on the corners. That helps a great deal.

Prior to using the mats, I had a lot of knee achiness from doing step on the berber alone. After purchasing the mats, the knee pain practically disappeared.

One thing about these that may or may not apply to other puzzle mats: I noticed my shoes were started to lose their grip on the Step. That was totally weird, and at first I couldn't figure out why (Though I could pivot like a madwoman!). The only new additions were the puzzle mats. I wiped them down, thinking there must be a coating on them that is getting on my shoes. Cleaned my Step and shoes too. That didn't help. BUT...covering my Step snugly with a beach towel took care of the problem. I now have great traction and can enjoy both the mats and the Step.

I figure whatever coating that is on the mats will eventually wear off. I noticed that after a weight day when I don't use the mats, my shoes go back to gripping the Step really well.

Thanks for the info, Laughing Water! My knees and ankles have been bothering me lately, and I was wondering if adding something on top of the carpet would help. These seem like the perfect thing!:)

I bought only 1 package...just to see if I liked them. This means that with only 6 2x2 mats, I have to strategically place them in order to be able to use them as I travel during the step workouts (3 behind the step, 1 on each side, and 1 in front). Now that I've tested them, I'm going to order a second set of 6. Being able to lock them all together neatly will probably help with the minimal shifting.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I can't do standing leg work on them. Whatever that mysterious coating is, it causes my shoes to slip ever so slightly. I do lunges on the berber.

Hope I helped! :D

When I was using puzzle mats, I also noticed that they were slightly slippery when I first started using them, and that my step also seemed more slippery. This went away after a week or two. I guess it was some kind of coating that wore off after a little while.

I gave up on my puzzle mats because they travelled too much, buckled, and caused my workout surface to be too unstable. I actually fell a couple of times because of the unstable surface. They live in the garage now and are used when I do yard work.

thanks for all the shared experiences! i think i'll give them a shot...if they don't work, well...i'll use them for yard work too b/c that's not a half bad idea! ;)

i got my puzzle nats at costco. 10 for about $12-13 a pack (i can't remember exactly). i did my whole room and made sure they were secure so they don't move around at all (they wouldn't have anywhere to go!). i didn't notice any difference with my step and shoe grip. i can do any move and it's actually easier for me to do a lot of moves on the mats as opposed to the carpet i was working on. especially kick boxing with all the turning of the hips and feet.

i LOVE my puzzle mats! this is what my room looks like:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh292/Lederr/workoutroomfloor.jpg

Oooh, these look cool. Thanks for sharing the link! I ordered a set. I need something more than my yoga mats for cushioning. However, I am going to put the sticky yoga mats under the puzzle mats. I read someone's review at amazon suggesting that to keep them from sliding. I'm excited about these.
Thanks again, Laughingwater!:)
Sandra

You're welcome. :D The nice thing is that you can test them out, and if you don't like them, send them back. I saved the giant box they came in until I was sure.

I should do the yoga mat thing too. Think I'll try that tomorrow.

Lorie, I love your exercise room. That floor looks great.

Okay, I tried KPC with my rubber yoga mat under the puzzle mat.

The yoga mat helped, but the puzzle mat still traveled a teeny bit. Not a big deal. It could be because I only used one yoga mat. Maybe 2 yoga mats would have worked better. I ended up taking out the yoga mat and putting two 35lb dumbbells on the front corners.

Whatever the slippery coating is on the mat allowed me to pivot nicely during kicks. I wasn't comfortable doing the stability ball abs though ~ my feet were slowly sliding away from me. I moved to the berber for that, but a towel under my feet would probably have helped.

Once on my back, however, the puzzle mat is a nice balance of firmness and give. Firm enough to do ab work but enough give to cushion your joints.

Thanks for the updated info, LaughingWater! My knees have started really bothering me lately when I do high impact workouts, so I think I'll order some of the Ironmats soon.:)

Update:

I bought a second set of Iron Man puzzle mats, put all 12 together and tested them with Cardio Fusion today. They worked great!

2 things:

1. I still put 2 35lb dumbbells on the upper corners to prevent shifting, as the 12 mats don't take up my whole room and could possibly travel a bit. It's possible I don't need to do this, so next time I shall try a step workout without the dumbbells. The good news is that their presence really didn't affect my stepping. They weren't in the way at all.

2. Because of that mystery slippery coating on the mats, I still had to put a beach towel on my step to keep from pivoting right out the door. :7 Again, this does not affect the workout really. I tuck the ends of the towel between the step and the riser, and it stays in place nicely.

Yet another update:

I put together my 6 X 8 section of mats, minus the dumbbells in the corners, and did Imax 2. The mat didn't shift at all. Yay!

Another update (just in case this helps someone out there):

My mat "floor" does shift while doing the lateral stuff on Drill Max and Bootcamp.

The slippery coating must be wearing off ~ I can now do static lunges without my back foot sliding.

Have you given it the paper plate test? I bought my mats from Costco and a paper plate will not slide on it.

Thanks!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.