Protein Powder and Hair Loss

lkl

Cathlete
My hair has been thinning alot and I can identify many factors that may be contributing, however since I started STS it's intensified. In researching, I found out that protein powder can inhibit the absorption of biotin and therefore can accelerate the loss. This is a problem for me because I have 2 protein shakes a day (i don't find this an excessive amount) in order to get enough protein for weightlifting. I have chicken once a day (eventhough I hate it) and dairy 2-3x a day (harsh on my skin so don't want to take more than this), plus some nuts in moderation. I don't like cooked egg whites, beans and cannot have much soy because of my thyroid. I've made pancakes with alot of egg whites and I'm wondering if drinking raw egg whites would be an option. Does anyone have a recipe that would make this bearable? Any other suggestions for getting protein each day? Also, if anyone has tried holistic supplements for slowing hair loss with success, please let me know. Besides increasing dosage of biotin, I started taking a dose of complex b, wheat grass and pure royal jelly. i'm using verbena, orange and lavender oils to massage my scalp. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

I'd check with the doc, too. Protein in any form causes my hair to grow very fast. Are you getting too much vitamin A?
Lorrie

I would have your thyroid checked. Hair loss is a sign that it's not working right.

Yup, sounds like thyroid to me. Also, many people with hypothyroidism have said that one of the meds was recently reformulated and doesn't seem to be as effective.

thanks for your responses everyone. i was on synthyroid for 10 years before the tests started coming back normal. i was tested last year and everything came back normal again. other than the hair loss, i'm not really exhibiting any symptoms. i have alot of stress in my life right now so i'm hoping it's just the stress. very unnerving to see your bare scalp and no new hair behind it, especially when you are interviewing for jobs. uggh. :( i'll probably get the blood tests again just to be sure. i do hope my hair grows back though.

You may want to try Nioxin hair care system. They have systems for fine, normal hair (that really DOES make my fine hair seem full) and systems for noticeably thinning hair. It is kind of expensive but the big bottles last a long time and I have found it on sale at Walmart's hair salon and I recently got two big bottles (one shampoo and one conditioner 750 ml each) at Ulta on sale for $40.00 then I had a 20% off coupon so I got the set for $32.00. It is money well spent. I use the system for fine, chemically enhanced, normal to thin looking hair (I get my hair colored) and it makes my hair look and feel very full. I have not experienced hair loss I don't know what they claim about hair loss but my hairdresser backs it as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.