Progress, not Perfection - 2012 - Month #1

My teenage son said the next time I do a 5K, he would like to come along. That made me feel like he ain't to grown for his Mother. :)

Good morning my friends !!

well.. I had hoped to be able to do some kind of workout today, but I'm not feeling any better than I did on Saturday... sigh.

Keep the home fires burning team !!! This has to go away sometime in the near future.

Progress, not Perfection !!!!

I haven't dared to weigh myself :p

bbl......

I completed TBT- lower body only. First time, I liked it. I will bbl with more chat but I didn't think I was gonna get the workout in today, so I'm happy to be able to check it off...

No workout for me today, but kinda figured I wouldnt have time. I also didnt get much sleep last night so it's just as well I suppose.

I ventured onto the scale this morning, sadly to say I've seen no loss at all with all my workout consistency. I do feel a bit stronger and leaner, but unfortunately it's not reflected in that darn number! I'm trying not to let that get me down :(

Since I wont be working out today, I'm tweaking the rotation a bit and I'm going to do...

M--rest
T--all of Body Max 2 (so get in everything!)
W--cardio
R--legs and abs
F--rest
S--total body weights
S--short cardio (have to work)

Have fast food for dinner, not smart. Going to have to get focused a bit more on the diet!

Stacy, good idea, BM2 will catch you up, have fun with that today. Will you do it in chunks or straight thru? No there was no animal cruelty in the Forks movie. They really covered a lot of bases. They featured about 5 or 6 different patients who had completely turned their lives around with whole foods plant based.

Yesterday turned out to be a pretty good one- that lower body w/o was fun, hard, different and I think even had a low/mod level cardio factor. I finished it up and walked .75 mile to dance and took a class which rounded out the cardio and I felt stretched out and complete from the LB workout.

Deanna, how do you keep finding these race/runs? I am pretty antisocial when I exercise, I don't know if I'd enjoy them. Sometimes, if people talk to me while I am working out I want to slug them.

Susan, how's the stuffy sneezing aching head fever you need your rest situation coming along?

Ladies....don't even get me started on the scale issues. : (

But I have actually stuck to this rotation and benefited from doing all these new workouts. : )

coffee coffee coffee--> water water water

Unfortunately, the stuffy sneezing aching head fever you need your rest situation is not improving much... geeze... I thought I'd be cured by now....

I want so badly (in my mind) to be doing my workouts, but the body ain't willing.. sigh...

Great job on the workouts guys !!! I'm glad this rotation is getting you to try some workouts you haven't done before.

I know that it was/will push me to doing at least some of LIS which I was avoiding because from previewing them, they looked much too fast and much too hard for me at this point. But....

Assuming that I'll be fully cured by next Monday, I'm planning on starting back at Week 1 - Day 1 of the Susan Rotation so I can do it straight through.

Some progress to report :D Over the weekend, I allowed myself to just eat whenever I wanted to.... good food (cause I don't have any bad food in the house), but I didn't worry about how much I was eating.

Yesterday, however, I got back on track with eating... had 3 meals and no snacks and concentrated on veggies and low fat healthy protein with a few fruits.

Deanna - go get that pile of work done !!!!

Stacy - great job on sticking to your workouts !!! The eating will continue to progress slowly.... you are certainly making better choices on most days.

FnV - You're kicking butt on the workouts girl !!!

Go Team !!!!

I shall enjoy your progress vicariously and hope to be back on the playing field sooner rather than later...

I have heard from several friends that they had this earlier and it lasted almost 2 weeks :eek: Deanna - it lasted a long long time with you too...

Go get 'em Team !!!

Progress, not Perfection !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan...well darn it, get better!!! Very frustrating to be sick, but good job keeping up with the healthy food choices. Looking forward to having you back in the rotation!

Deanna...thanks for that link. I get some email newsletters from another site, but will check that one out. I'm contemplating walking another half marathon in May, gonna check with my walking buddy and see if she's up for it. She's walked a full marathon, I'm still in awe of that! Every time I walk a half marathon, I say "ok that's the last time!" and I've done that 3 times now!

FnV...sounds like you got a good workout in yesterday. You should check out a race/walk. Most people leave you alone and dont seem to do idle chit chat or maybe I just look intimidating lol ;)

I had plans to do ALL of Body Max 2 straight through, but wanted to pick a more circuit style premix since I know my knees cant take that long of straight cardio, so I picked the "Scrambled Egg" premix and realized halfway thru it was all cardio and no weights, and at that point I was so wiped out I couldnt do anymore cardio anyways. When it was all said and done I did the warm, 2 entire step combos and 2 power circuit/leg combos, upper body and then abs. It took about 70-75 minutes (with pauses to breath and for water!)

I've got errands to run and then of course going to make soup today. Today's selection will be a soup similar to one at Olive Garden.....red skinned potatoes, onion, garlic, kale, crumbled Italian sausage, chicken stock, and about 1/3 cup fat free half-n-half. It's one of my fav's and that way I'll have leftovers for dinner tomorrow!

BBL...

Argh, I still haven't made the last Stacy Soup and now I want another one.

I did 6k walk/jog/sprint...I put 30/30 Hiits in the middle and finished it with pushups and dips x 3 sets and came home and did three sets of leg assisted pull ups on my tower.

In other words, i didn't do PUB today as scheduled. : P

I'll squeeze it in tomorrow if I can.

Thanks Stacy, that is my usual 6k/4mi loop I take when I do a TKD run, but I was suspicious I wasn't gonna get to PUB, so threw in the upper body sets. I will still do PUB today if I have time, but Wed are usually too hectic. Did you make the soup? How did it turn out?

Susan, I agree that a lot of the LIS series is hard, or at least harder to modify down; it isn't as simple as choosing a lighter weight. I was thinking of Primal yesterday when I did my upper body. His "lift heavy things" part of his program is all body weight exercise and he shows progression from wall push ups to full push ups, assisted chin ups to full chin ups, etc.

Deanna, did you finish all your work thru the first? You seem to really stay on top of things! I hope you get some office fitness in today.

I read the newsletter this week...the article about the cortisol and insulin was good. Lack of sleep and coffee are not our fitness friends!

Good morning my friends !!

FnV - you are really kickin' butt girl !!!!

I too keep thinking about Primal Mark's exercise philosophy. Moderate cardio and "lift heavy things" and I think that's exactly what we do with our Cathe DVDs.

I'm thinking :p ... that after I do the whole 4-week Susan plan in one continuous swoop... i.e. once I get rid of this damned cold..... That I shall try a 4 day weight routine... Upper body 2x/week, lower body 2x/week and moderate cardio 2x/week. I really like working upper and lower body separately.

Anyway..... I think I have finally turned the corner on this cold. Yesterday, I felt a little better with each passing hour so that by the end of the day I didn't feel too too bad. This morning, however, I feel like cr*p again.. but hopefully I am on the home stretch with this nasty bug..

Deanna and Stacy - what are on your workout agendas today????

Stacy - that last soup sounded delicious !!! I think we need that recipe !!

bbl....

Hello, was able to sneak away from work at lunch for a few minutes.

I have Powerstrike on the agenda after I get home.

I ended up ordering 2 more LIS workouts, Afterburn and Athletic Training after hearing raves about ppl's lower body results. I hope my knee can tolerate them!

I made the soup, it was yummy!

CREAMY KALE SOUP

1 lb uncooked Italian sausage
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 bacon strip, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
2 cups water
1 can chicken broth
2 cups diced potatoes
2 cup finely sliced kale
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream.

Saute onion bacon, add crumbled sausage and brown. Add garlic. Add water, broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 min until potatoes done. Add kale and cream.

I however use fat free half and half and often skip the water and double up the chicken broth. I use low sodium chicken stock actually. I also dont measure the potatoes, kale or onion, or half and half. I'm more of a "throw it all in til it looks good" kinda "chef". If I dont have the bacon I sometimes wont use it, but it really does taste better with it, adds an extra layer of flavor.

Ok, gotta get back to work. BBL!

Well I got home and did my Powerstrike workout. It wasnt one of the harder ones nor did I feel like I had much energy today. Maybe I hadnt eaten enough during the day. Anyway, it's a workout and it's done.

Off for some soup....

Despite the fact that I wore my sports bra all day long, no workout manifested, so I'll have to play catch up this week.

Stacy, thanks for saying that about last nights workout, I was feeling like a cheater until you said that. : )
Also, thanks for soup recipe. This weekend for sure, I am gonna make some soup.

Susan, I am so sorry you've gotten sidelined but glad you are starting to feel better. I guess its just another opportunity to stick with the clean living thru thick and thin. (hope you do better than I do)

Deanna, can you come run my life for awhile? My house is a chaotic mess and I am pooped- but you seem wildly efficient. : )

I'll figure out my workouts in the morn over coffee. Niters

jaaaavvvvvvaaaaaa

Slept an extra hour cuz I don't have to do too much prep before I leave house today.

I'm gonna do LIS AT Legs cardio express plus PUB Up only pm and the core. Actually, that combo is kinda sorta exactly like what Stacy had planned w/ BM2 before she unintentionally got scrambled.

stacy, did you get your new dvds yet? Deanna and Susan, how goes?

Good morning, enjoying some coffee before my workout.

I'm doing to do Pure Strength Legs & Abs but I already know I'm skipping the lunges and step ups. My legs have been feeling fatigued but I think that's b/c I rarely ever work legs and b/c of the consistency of my workouts, so overall a good thing, but dont want to push it.

I had Muscle Max planned for Saturday, but I think I'll give my legs a longer break and just do PUB and abs and then cardio on Sunday. I dont know what the rotation calls for but I'm missing Turbo Barre so that will be my Monday workout.

Still havent gotten my new workouts yet but got an email that they have shipped. You'll have to let me know what AT Legs cardio express involves. I tried signing onto the WM to check the premixes but I forgot my password and signin name and didnt feel like messing with it.

Deanna...I agree with FnV, you are a dynamo! Maybe you can come clean my house??

Susan...how are you feeling today??

Off to workout, then a LONG day of work ahead of me :(

From WM LIS AT Cardio Legs Express PM
Chapter 5 Warm Up
Chapter 6 Step Cardio <----------this was pretty short (not comparable timewise to BM step)
Chapter 7 Uneven Low Lunges/Squats
Chapter 8 Overhead Squat Presses
Chapter 9 Double Arm Lateral Raises
Chapter 10 Plie Squats with Front Swing
Chapter 11 Leg Abductions and Front Raises
Chapter 20 Abduction Work with Firewalker Loop
Chapter 21 Hamstring Kickbacks with Firewalker Loop
Chapter 22 Single Leg Deadlifts
Chapter 25 Stretch

So I finished the above, tacked on core from AT, did PUB Up PM which includes core. I think I left out a dvd from the rotation and now I need Sat off since my dad is coming to visit, but I think at the end of the week it will all even out and I'll have everything checked off.

Susan, you must not be feeling well yet? Deanna, I know you are looking foward to TGIf.

I did a steady state jog while dd at TKD tonight, I walked the first K then managed to jog the rest by keeping my pace steady and low intensity. Its funny, when I track in K instead of miles on my cell phone app, my little route starts at the school, it takes about 60 seconds to walk to the sidewalk and at exactly 6k my loop ends right back where I started. Sorry, I know that is more info than anyone really needs but I get geeked out when things match up like that.

Last edited:
Good morning my friends !!!

Yes.. I had a relapse.... sigh. After saying Wednesday morning that I thought I had turned the corner, by Wed nite and yesterday morning I was feeling awful again....

Deanna - how long did you have this thing???

I'm thinking that if I don't feel significantly better by Monday morning, that I will call the doctor and see if I can get some antibiotics. I'm worried that this is turning into a sinus infection and bronchitis... geeze...

Great job on the workouts Stacy and FnV !!!! You are both doing soooo well. I am very proud of you !!!

Keep the home fires burning... I'll be back to good health sometime soon....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.