Pregnant Mom's Check in

I'm reading alot about twin pregnancies. It's a bit scary & so much different than singleton pregnancies. One thing that amazes me is all the weight gain....goal is 3500 calories, 15lbs by 12th week is goal. Weight gain is so very important with multiples,...I haven't weighed myself yet,...I don't think I've gained much yet,...but I do feel thicker.

I"m considering asking my dr for an anti-nausea medicine. There were times this week that I puked 10 times in one shift. It's draining & not practical. I still have an appetite, despite my vomiting,....so that's good. I got some sea-bands to try,...

I'm off to bed, gotta get my beauty rest.

I'm excited to see my ole' friends & some new ones on here. :D

Welcome to all the new posters! This group has really exploded overnight! Maybe we could introduce ourselves so we know a little bit more about each other.

Melanie- I'm sorry you actually throwing up. Did you with your previous pregnancies?

Erin- Hi and welcome! Everyone is different with their weight gain. One of my girlfriends gained 6 lbs in the first few months and then even out later. I haven't gained anything yet but I am getting wider because some things don't fit comfortable around the hips.

buneknek- Hi and congratulations! I have gone to 3-4 workouts a week right now because I just have sooo much to do. I know my dr had told me that I can continue to do what I was doing before and just modify if I need to. Do what feels right for your body.

Susan- I'm not sure what to do about this pain. I have been trying to stretch more. Sometimes it is so bad that I can barely move. It's like the muscle locks up.

Wendy- I bought a few maternity capris and shorts and I have actually been wearing the capris cause they are so comfy. They are just slightly big but oh well. Comfort is what is important. I am 12 weeks and I still have some slight nausea every so often but I agree, it is not what it was. I am so relieved to be craving healthy food again.

Allison- You can bake me chocolate chip cookies anytime! Fresh from the oven is the absolute best!

Hi to anyone else I missed! Whew!

Jen

Jen, I've always gotten upset stomach & heartburn,....but haven't thrown up before (or maybe just once or twice per pregnancy). This is all new territory for me.

I think introductions would be awesome idea. Who's going to start?

Morning!
Ok I"ll be first. Name is Susan and Im 42. I have one dd, Haley, who is 9. Been married for 16 years this July. LIve in Ark, but from Miss. Had 2 m/c while ttc for #2. I will be 17 weeks on Wednesday.
Jen-have you tried tylenol? Your body is going through major changes right now..stretching and growoing. HOpefully once your body adjusts the pain will get better. I had major sciatica with Haley, but this is totally different. Is the pain right in the middle of your butt cheeck?
Melanie-3500 cals?? Mann I could get into that..haha. Seriously though..I didnt know it was that different in carrying twins. This will be an adventure for you!
DD is wanting to paint, so I will be back later.

Heres my story. I have been trying to have kids for a couple of years, went through fertility meds and hated it and then tried herbs and acupuncture and that was too expensive. Got laid off and January and got pregnant in March. (Thinking stress must have been a factor) Im 29 y/o. Since i was laid off just taking extra classes to finish up school before the baby. My husband owns a local pizza shop, we dated since we were 15 y/o. Hmmm I think I covered most of the basis.

I'm excited to be a part of this check in, great idea!

WOW, I was surprised this morning when I saw the check in. How exciting. I am very glad to have new pregnant ladies join us and share their experiences.

A quick intro, My name is Priscila. I will be 9 weeks pregnant tomorow and this is my first baby. I just turned 35 y/o last week and been married for 2 years. I am currently living in TX. I am hoping I can start working out again in a couple of weeks. Today I woke up and haven't felt nauseated yet YEAH!!!

Allison, did you say baked chocolate chips?? OH, I'm craving LOL

Melanie, vomiting 10x a day is not good. The first time I ended up in the ER I puked 14 times and was severely dehydrated, they couldn't even find my veins b/c they were all collapsed. If is getting that bad constantly I agree you should ask your Dr for something. I never lost my appetite, I was starving all the time but couldn't keep anything down.

Wendy, I know I'm only 9 weeks but my jeans and pants are feeling thight already. Part of it because I haven't worked out in a month! My assistants gave me a gift card from Motherhood for my birthday, so I'll be getting something soon.

Susan, we had serious thunderstorms and heavy rain yesterday. It was bad!

buneknek, let me tell you, I have the original Squeeze and have done it only once, it got me soooooo sore for almost a week.

Hi Jen, Dawn, Erin (welcome) and everyone else

Check back later

Wow, I'll have to get a cheat sheet going!

Melanie (35) Randy (45) , married 17 years
I'm a pharmacist, Randy is a stay at home Dad
3 boys: Jory (15) Justin (5) Jadon (3)

We've been trying #4 for 3 years, we had a miscarriage last July.

We live in Northern Minnesota (along the Canada border).

Okay, so it looks like lots of you know each other from the TTC boards!

I was wondering how much "action" there would be on the preggo board, what with most of the regulars recently giving birth to beautiful babies :)

I'm Allison. I'm 36, SAHM to DD3. Also do marketing consulting, though, sadly, I have no work right now. DH is also 36, an electrical engineer. I have 3 stepkids -- 16, 13, and 10.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant. This baby was completely unplanned, as we had decided we were done. A true blessing, as I was open to the idea of one more (wanted DD to have a full sibling to grow up with) but DH was very clear that he wanted no more. It took him a couple months to come around to the idea, but he's finally back to normal LOL

We live in Philadelphia, PA. I've been on 2 Cathe Road Trips -- 2005 (DD is my souvenier from that one!) and 2008.

I love to cook and bake and read, and would like to become more of a gardener. I'm also trying to do more scrapbooking, but have little success getting motivated to start (though I have LOTS of "stuff"!).

ETA: I like to exercise too. Obviously :)

Last edited:
Susan- Yes, right in the middle! I have tried Tylenol but it only helps a bit. Plus I am trying not to take it too often. I am going to ask my dr about at my appointment this Thursday.

My name is Jennifer and I am 29. This is my second try for my first child. My first pregnancy was ectopic in December and didn't think we get pregnant again so soon but are so blessed. DH is 36 and we have been married for three years this past Saturday but together for a total of 7 1/2. I love working out and lifting weights as well as cooking and baking.

Melanie- I agree on the cheat sheet!

For all you chocolate chip lovers :D

---------------------------------------

I didn't have 4 cups of regular choc chips, so I used 2 cups regular and an 11 oz bag of Nestle's peanut butter and chocolate chips. Yum!

I got 3 dozen cookies from the recipe.

Chockfull of Chocolate Chips Cookies
from the Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook by Elinor Klivans

One batch of these cookies comprises 2 cups of dough and 4 cups of chocolate chips. There are at least 50 chips in every cookie -- a most satisfactory ratio.

1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
6 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Center a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 350 degrees. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugars for about 1 minute, until well combined. (Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during the mixing.) Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until blended, about 1 minute; the mixture may look slightly curdled. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing just until it is incorporated and the dough looks smooth again. Add the chocolate chips and mix just until evenly distributed.

Use a tablespoon to drop heaping spoonfuls of dough (about 3 level tablespoons each) onto the baking sheets, spacing the cookies 3 inches apart.

Bake, 1 sheet at a time, about 15 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned and the centers are golden. Cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes; the cookies will flatten slightly as they cool. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

-----------------------------------------

Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe By : Cook's Illustrated
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00

2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour -- (2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1 1/2 sticks) melted and cooled until warm
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips -- (1 to 2 cups)

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower- middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in desired amount of chips.

3. Form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Each half will have a jagged surface where it was ripped from the other; rotate each half up so the jagged surface faced the ceiling and press the halves back into one ball so that the top surface remains jagged. (The nooks and crannies you have created will give the baked cookies an attractive and somewhat rough, uneven appearance.) Place formed dough onto one of two parchment paper-lined cookie sheets, about 9 balls per sheet.

4. Bake, reversing cookies sheets' positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes). Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.

Recipe provided by the editors of Cook's Illustrated.

Weight Watchers: 1 cookie = 5 points

Source:
"Cook's Illustrated"

NOTES From Cooks Illustrated : Getting the Recipe Right
Most cookies start with creamed butter. Creaming incorporates air into the dough, resulting in an undesirable (in these cookies) lightness. Our thoughts sifted to chewy brownies and blondies, both of which typically begin with melted butter. We tried both creamed and melted butter and found that melted butter did indeed give us the dense, chewy texture that we were after. Then, we tried unbleached and bleached flour to see which would yield the most tender cookie. Bleached flour, with less protein than unbleached flour, helps make the cookie crispy and crunchy on the outside and tender inside. The texture of the just-baked cookies was good, but as they cooled, they hardened.

We turned to the one factor that we hadn't yet fully examined--the egg factor--and found that one whole egg plus one egg yolk keeps the cookies soft and pliable hours after emerging from the oven. Also, cooling the cookies directly on the cookie sheet promotes the soft, chewy texture. Finally, we had a thick, chewy chocolate-chip cookie that could rival any gourmet bakery's.

The simple cookie with the gourmet touch.

-------------------------------------------

These are good -- not at all greasy (like I think the Nestle ones are).

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pillsbury (supermarket supplement magazine)
Yield: 6 dozen

1 1/4 cups sugar 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar 1 1/4 cups margarine or butter, softened 2 teaspoons vanilla 3 eggs 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (12-24 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chi

Heat oven to 375*F.
In large bowl, beat sugar, brown sugar and margarine until light and fluffy.
Add vanilla and eggs; blend well (I add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition).
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl, combining with a whisk. Add to butter sugar mixture and beat well.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake at 375*F for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.

---------------------------------------

These are excellent -- still nice and soft and chewy after 24 hours

Nutty for Oats
from King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking
Makes 38 (I got 4 dozen)

2/3 creamy peanut butter
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1 cup rolled oats, ground for 30 seconds in a food processor
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)

Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper.

Cream the peanut butter, butter, sugar, vanilla, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Beat in the eggs, scraping the bowl once they're incorporated, then the ground oats, old fashioned rolled oats and chocolate chips. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake the cookies, reversing pans midway through (top to bottom, bottom to top), until they're barely set and just beginning to brown around the edges, 11 to 13 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool completely on the pans.

Nutritional Information per cookie: 7g whole grains, 131 cal, 7g fat, 3g protein, 5g complex carbs, 10g sugar, 1g dietary fiber (my MC says 2), 14mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 99mg potassium, 14RE vitamin A, 1mg iron, 11mg calcium, 62mg phosphorous, 7mg caffeine.

I"m still on a bland diet----but I'm anxious to try some of those cookies! They sound good.

Precilla, has your n/v gotten better? I normally don't vomit alot of volume. It's more like a gag, followed by some syrup-like fluid that comes up. I also don't vomit right after eating...more like 30-40 minutes after, so I"m hoping that I'm able to absorb some nutrients prior to vomiting. Not fun. It seems to be worse at work, and different scents can sent me flying to the bathroom. I tried to keep it in one day, but had spagetti coming out of my nose!!! :eek:

Susan, I"m also suprised at how different prenatal care is b/w singletons and multiples. It's a high-risk pregnancy, so I can count on having ultrasounds 1-2x's per month, & then the intense weight gain (which will increase the odds of having healthy non-NICU twins). Full term pregnancy is at 36 weeks, with many women on restrictions and/or bedrest towards the end. I want to do everything right (as all of us pg moms do). I'm pretty sure mine is an identical twin pregnancy, which is a little-higher risk (twin-transfusion syndrome) than fraternal.

--------------
Well, my dog pooped on my carpet last night & DH is out of town. So, I just mustered up enought energy to vaccuum & shampoo my carpet. My eldest son had to pick up the poop....I would have puked for sure.

I did get a 2.5hr nap in today & look forward to one more day off before I go back to work. I turned down some work this PM,...don't feel strong enough to work extra shifts (although we could use the extra $).

Anyone want to add me to facebook? My name is: Melanie Monnie ;) I'm there alot....

Hi guys-
Been raining all day so we havint done too much. Lazy day! I did just make some brownies:p
Allison thanks for the recipes. I love to bake!!
Jen-I get dh to massage my butt with a tennis ball and it seems to help some.

Melanie-you snuck in on me! A sister of a good friend of mine just had twins last week. Her babies were 6 lbs and 5. something. Big twins! She was due this week. They were suprised she went so long. Names were Ellie and Bella.
Glad you have the day off tommorw. You need all the rest youcan get. Your body is under MAJOR construction!

Susan, it's comforting to hear good twin-stories. :)

Oh!!!!!! Your tennis ball adventure almost sounds errotic to me. lol we haven't been intimate since the "big event". I have zero libido, and then with spotting....it's off limits for us!!

well my libido is just now coming back and dh is a happy man! The past few months I have not been interested at all...I would make the sacrifice for him..but now Im actually wanting it again:D. In your case I would wait til I had the ultrasound in 2 weeks just to be sure everything was ok.

Melanie- A girlfriend of mine had fraternal twins at 37 years of age and had a wonderful pregnancy. She even started out a litle overweight and her dr told her that she was one of the healthiest twin moms he had seen in a long time. She never went on bedrest and delivered at little early (I dont remember exactly when) because she got preeclampsia. I think the little boy had to stay in the hospital a few extra days to make sure his lungs developed but her daughter went home with her within a few days.

Susan- I guess I could use the tennis ball idea as something kinky. :) I haven't had much of a libido lately either but when I get going...man oh man! Pregnant sex is pretty awesome! But I just have to muster enough energy and focus.

Hi everyone,

Hang in there! In my 18th week, I started to feel these little flutters--like little bubbles. Wow. This pregnancy is really happening. :) I felt great yesterday and got two mini workouts in. Yeah for the second trimester!

I hope everyone early on and feeling tired will feel better soon.

Dawn

Thanks for encouragement, Dawn.

Poor DH, no pregnancy sex for him. He actually mentioned that he was in the mood last night. I told him that I was still spotting & couldn't have intercourse......and I'm gaggy & was incapable of doing the other. Poor guy! ...

Hi everyone!

I agree about having to get a cheat sheet going.

My bio:
I'm 33 and I've been with my DH for 17 years (married for 10). I'm a Dental Hygienist and my DH owns a Carpet/Upholstery cleaning business. We have a 3 yr old DD. I'm 15 weeks today and sorry to say am not enjoying this pregnancy as I did w/ my DD. Everyday I'm checking for signs of another m/c. I've been diagnosed w/ a blood clotting disorder that can cause growth restriction, clotting in the placenta and other problems. My DH gives my daily shots of blood thinner and I also take ASA daily to help minimize my risks but I'm still terrified. Well, that just about covers it. Oh, and we live in Illinois:)

HI

Hi Everyone,

I forgot to introduce myself. I'm 37 and live in Maryland. I've been married about 10 months, and I work for the federal government as a writer/editor.

I was a Cathe workout addict for about 2 years before this pregnancy, my first (when I found out it was a girl, I actually thought, great, I'll have someone to do my Cathe workouts with! I even was trying to figure out how I might bring a baby to the next roadtrip!).

I admit I have not enjoyed pregnancy so far. But the nausea and exhaustion have pretty much subsided in the 19th week. And I figure the baby just NEEDs chocolate. :)

All the best to everyone and thanks for sharing your stories. You have us all routing for healthy babies.

Dawn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.