Praise for the Pyramid

nivipa

Cathlete
I am currently on a kick of alternating upper body/lower body days. As such, I am reaching back in my annals, trying out some of Cathe's earlier works.

Two days ago I popped in Pyramid Upper Body, which I haven't done for awhile. However, I still have a guide for how much weight I've used before, and where I thought I could pump it up. Nearly every set I worked to failure with very intense focus. My reward? Major DOMS in Every Body Part I worked! Mostly it was chest and biceps, but when certain muscles were called into play, I felt it in my back, my triceps, and (for the first time in memory) my shoulders. Two days out from it, and I'm still feeling some minor after-effects!

And I find the ab work here to be among the most challenging. I *still* need to take a break from those pikes/planks/leg-lifts/more pikes/more planks/more leg-lifts!

Yeah, it's from 2002, but it's still a knockout.

I couldn't agree more. The pyramids must be the exact type of exercise for my body type because I always get major doms from them. I love that they get so much accomplished in so little time. Also, pushups are one of the most challenging exercises for me and I love that PUB just has them in the warm up! I reach for this dvd at least once a month.

Cheers,

Beth

Beth: I gotta agree it's nice not having major push-ups!

gratefuldog:

I definitely have the "Outer body experience," but usually I echo the "It just never let' up!" However, I disagree vehemently (and sometimes not-at-all nicely) to the "It's even getting [glances back at background exercisers] nice and easy!"

LOL!

And I find the ab work here to be among the most challenging. I *still* need to take a break from those pikes/planks/leg-lifts/more pikes/more planks/more leg-lifts!

Yeah, it's from 2002, but it's still a knockout.

Love the Pyramid ... and I agree with you on the abs workout on this DVD. Honestly, I can pretty much do any ab workout Cathe throws at us, but this one ALWAYS leaves me struggling and needing a break. :mad:I don't know why it's so difficult to complete.

bonjonbart said:
Love the Pyramid ... and I agree with you on the abs workout on this DVD. Honestly, I can pretty much do any ab workout Cathe throws at us, but this one ALWAYS leaves me struggling and needing a break. :mad:I don't know why it's so difficult to complete.

bonjonbart: I think a big part of the problem for me, at least that I noticed this last time, is that we spend a long time with our shins on the ball, with our arms supporting our weight. My poor upper body is really fried by this time! So I suspect it's really my biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest and back that are giving in on me.

That said, I *still* can't get several decent pikes in a row. Heck, for every good-form, high-glute one I knock out, there are two or three weak attempts. But I figure at least making the -attempt- is working my core. (At least, that's what I tell myself - wink!)

I like these workouts a lot too, but the arms do get fried so it can be helpful to do abs first. ;)

Funny, its been such along time since I've had DOMS too. I pulled this out on Tues., and for 2 days my arms were killing me. Then I pulled out PLB and again, I've had DOMS for 2 days. I'm gonna continue with these for another 3 weeks hopefully by then, I wont have to take 2 days off after these WO. :eek:

Sarah

I just did PUB for the first time in a long time on Tuesday (and this was only my second time ever doing the workout) and it resulted in DOMS for THREE days, and I almost never get DOMS (STS does not give me DOMS). My chest and biceps hurt so much that the simplest moves left me whining. Weird thing was my chest hurt first the next day, and then on the second day my biceps hurt, and the third day my chest started hurting again. I still have some soreness actually 5 days later but it's almost gone.

I did PLB last night and now my hamstrings are really sore - that floor section with the stability ball pulses and roll ins is BRUTAL!

I think PUB and PLB are workouts I need to do more often.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the pyramid workouts, especially the upper body. I also get DOMS big time with it. The only explanation i can come up with is that you are absolutely pushing yourself to failure by the time you get to the top of the pyramid and then you still have to come down. I've also noticed that the tricep portion is particularly effective.

For the last 3 weeks I have been doing a rotation where I do pyramid upper body twice per week but I'm only doing the pyramid up premix which has the abs. I'm getting great results with this. For lower body I am doing gym style legs because I love the high amount of dead lifts.

I'd suggest sticking with it for a month because you will see great results then maybe switching it up with the GS series that breaks the muscle groups up.

:)

Elizabeth

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

emigliori said:
I'm a big fan of the pyramid workouts, especially the upper body. I also get DOMS big time with it. The only explanation i can come up with is that you are absolutely pushing yourself to failure by the time you get to the top of the pyramid and then you still have to come down. I've also noticed that the tricep portion is particularly effective.

For the last 3 weeks I have been doing a rotation where I do pyramid upper body twice per week but I'm only doing the pyramid up premix which has the abs. I'm getting great results with this. For lower body I am doing gym style legs because I love the high amount of dead lifts.

I'd suggest sticking with it for a month because you will see great results then maybe switching it up with the GS series that breaks the muscle groups up.

:)

Elizabeth

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

I'm doing the July 2012 rotation (I substituted the pyramids for the LIS triset workouts, since I don't care for those: can't stand the horrible guitar riff throughout) ) but after it's over, I plan on doing the pyramids more often!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.