Post Operation Work out

RachelG2012

Hello I am Rachel and I am in a bind, since april to now I have gone from 160 to 134 and worked out everyday, last wednesday I had my tubes tied and I am being told that I will have to wait 6 weeks to work out, which I do weights and cardio combined, I am wondering if I really do need to wait 6 weeks. I follow an eat clean diet but not being able to work out is going to kill me. I am freaking out!! Help!!!:(

I'm not a professional, but that doesn't sound right at all. Maybe what they meant was no strenuous exercise. If you're not on bed rest, you could at least go on walks, pilates, or other exercises that are easy on the body.

What about riding a stationary bike? It's low impact and your using your legs--- I think it's worth asking about. I would also see how you are feeling at week 3 to see if you can start lifting light weights.

Rachel -

I know it's hard, but you need to follow your surgeon's advice. Perhaps you could ask what some of the potential consequences are if you do work out during this short time period...that may give you motivation to not work out

i haven't had this surgery, but I've had others and I really appreciate how hard it is having to sit out for an extended period, but although six weeks seems like forever, it's really not that long and not nearly as bad as having a complication.

Good luck...and call your surgeon, since you should be able to walk to your tolerance (NOT power walking! Strolling...and not with weights or poles! :). )

I hope you're feeling okay and I know you'll be ack to working out in no time.

Oh, I forgot to add that I never gained weight with my surgeries even though I wasn't working out...it takes a lot of energy for your body to heal, and I think that compensates somewhat wor not working out.

And congrats on your weight loss!

Rachel, I totally agree with Trixoo. I broke my shoulder and arm last year and had to sit, totally immobile basically for 2 months. I was so upset and was freaking out like you are. However, my body needed every bit of energy I had to heal. I was very careful with my eating, ate lots of salads and yogurt (with some cheats in there too).

I was so concerned because I had a dress I needed to fit into for my son's wedding. I had gone from a size 12 to a size 8. Well, I was fine!! In fact I lost weight!!!!

So just relax and know that you will be fine!!!! And definitely follow your doctor's advice. The last thing you want are internal injuries because you ruptured your internal stitches because you didn't listen to your doctor!!!

Please, please please take it easy and know that you really will be able to do this and be ok!!!

Hi Rachel,
I'm also almost certain that your info is wrong, and I AM a health care professional. In addition, I had a Robotic Hysterectomy and removal of a 15cm fibroid tumor (the size of a 6 month fetus) a couple months ago and I started walking about 3 days after surgery. I started working out (gently, carefully, slowly) 2 1/2 weeks later, including very gentle core work. The activity will actually help you recover/repair faster.

Just know that you will be very, very tired and it will take you weeks to months to get your stamina back. Don't get frustrated or rush yourself; take it easy, listen to your body, get a LOT of rest and give yourself permission to recover. Seriously, listen to your body and go slowly.

Good luck.

No pilattes, yoga, or anything with any strenuous activity (Cathe is off the table until you get the green light.) You don't want to be forced to wait longer because you were too enthusiastic. Watch your diet religiously. Weigh everything before you eat it. Keep your calories at an appropriate level. Eat veggies, healthy fats, and proteins. Don't workout too soon. You don't want an internal bleed.

In 2004, I had a ruptured appendix. My incision was midline and about 6 in long. 3 weeks after the surgery, I talked to my surgeon about skiing, and he said if the incision was substantially healed and I was off meds, feel free to ski. He told me every patient was different and he listened to his patients. He also said I was fit before I went into surgery, so he didn't have any issues with my quick return to doing things.

I couldn't do the nasty, crazy runs, but I could do the intermediate Mommy runs just fine. If I did bumpy stuff, I could really feel the muscles in my lower abdomen.

Check with your doctor again, that seems to be a bit much.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.