positive comments

1swimom2

After reading the thread about negative comments, and the end of the year coming, I thought it would be good to talk about good things or things we have achieved this year. It does not have to be pounds lost, but just something that you feel good about having done this year.

Last year I learned to swim at age 38. I always wanted to be able to swim laps, but was very intimidated because I was not very good. I took a swim class at the Y, and have slowly(very slowly) progressed. The benefits are wonderful. It seems to have jumped my metabolism and though I don't own a working scale, I think from the fit of my clothes, I have lost weight.

Have a great day,

Dorothy

GREAT Thread Dorothy!

I think the main thing that I feel good about this year is the acceptance of my body. I always felt that being an instructor, I had to have a perfect "10" and by no means can ANYONE achieve that! Since finding this site and purchasing the Cathe vids, I have found an even stronger love for Fitness. I have always enjoyed teaching and the comradery that comes with getting to know my students, but the change in my thinking has been a welcome bonus. I feel stronger and I have a great feeling of accomplishment, when at 48, I can zip thru a Cathe vid!! I contribute it to all the educated people here and all the info, support and caring that they give. Thanks for asking! Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Great topic idea!!

I had a some health problems earlier in the year which were diagnosed as allergies. After talking to an allergist, starting a regular schedule of allergy shots, and making much needed changes to my diet, I've found that most of my health problems are GONE!! I feel so much better than I have in years! Not only that, I find I have a lot more energy to stick to a regular exercise schedule -- I hate missing work out days now!

1swimmom2, I was really happy for you about learning how to swim! Neither my husband or I know how, but we'd like our daughter to start when she's old enough, and I think we're going to take lessons with her. You're comments are inspiring!!

What a great idea for a thread.

I think one of the things I'm most happy about is being a part of this forum family and being able to share with all you fitness-minded people. In "real life" I don't often find people who are as health conscious as me and it's such a relief to know that there are others out there who appreciate the importance of staying fit and preserving your health :D ...I thank you all for that.

I'm also proud to say that as of this year, I've managed to do at least part of each segment of push-ups on my toes (inspired by some of you), I've gotten a little better at plank work, and I've learned to safely get a "heavy" (for me) barbell over my head for leg workouts.

Let's keep up the great work and encouraging and inspiring words,
Lisa :)

Wow Dorothy, congrats on mastering swimming! I enjoy the water but I'm a definite flail-er. . . Maybe someday I'll put that on my to-do list.

For this year, my physical achievement has been working into doing more toe pushups. I've emphasized strength more in general, but the toe pushups (I'm up to six) are one way to measure that. Otherwise, it was a pretty level year, I didn't push hard to rise to any particular challenges, I just kept up the consistency and had a lot of fun. I think mentally I saw greater changes, I made real strides in accepting my limitations (including circumstantial limitations, like being a 24/7 mom of preschoolers) and accepting my appearance (three babies later my body is different and that's finally OK with me). I yanked my first two gray hairs just this morning and I wanted to frame them, I was PROUD. It's been a good year.

I love this idea too! My main accomplishment was/is(I still have to work on it sometimes) getting over that model body image. I have went from wanting to be model thin(and unhealthy)to wanting strength, stamina and energy!! It has taken me a long time to get to appericate my body and treat it right. I like to think that you all and Cathe are helping me accomplish that.

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Aimee

Dorothy,
That is GREAT that you learned how to swim!! I've been a daily lap swimmer now for 20 years...when I started, at age 28, I really hadn't swum since I was a kid and I was horrible at it but I got better. I just love swimming laps. I give you a lot of credit for going and taking lessons. Many adults are embarassed...like my hubby, he doesn't know how.

Are you swimming laps still? I go to my local Y in the mornings before work.
Barbara P

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-00 AT 07:55PM (Est)[/font][p]Sorry about the duplicate post!

Yes I am still swimming. The YMCA masters coach talked me into trying masters, and though I am one of the slowest, it is a great deal of fun. One night we were doing kicking with a kick board, sprinting, and I found out I am better at kicking then anyone else! I guess it's all the leg work in these videos.

Everyone is very supportive and a few of them do compete. I have no desire to compete as my kids are both age group swimmers, and I spend too much time at meets as it is!

I would recommend lessons for any adult. They have a great, lady who teaches the adult classes, and it was a good experience.

Swimming really makes me feel great. I now understand why my kids love it so much.

Dorothy

RE: GREAT Thread Dorothy!

I agree with Debbie that this is a great thread. This is a good time to look back on the year and take pride in the accomplishments that we have made.

For me, this year I finally got back into the exercise groove after having my son in August 1998. I was totally into working out BEFORE I had him (even during my pregnancy) and for some reason, once he was here, I just couldn't make the commitment to exercise stick for more than a few weeks, even days. I had a lot going on, personally and professionally, and I didn't feel that I could sacrifice the time to workout.

Finally, in February of this year, my stress level was through the roof and I thought back to my workout days and how great I always felt. Back then, no matter what was going on, my workouts left me feeling energized and focused. So I started with the Firm at first and got hooked on Cathe in August. I am so proud of myself, first of all for the commitment that I've made to take care of myself and needs, but also how it's helped me in my daily life, not to mention all my great muscles that I get to show off!

I also found this forum in 2000, so I consider that a big deal, too! You all are so wonderful to share with and I love coming on here and finding out who's doing what! THANK YOU ALL! :)

Michele

2000 has been quite a year I must say.

First of all, in July, my marriage came to end. While this may sound like a negative, it is not, because the relationship was very unhealthy and frought with jealousy, alcoholism, insecurity, etc. So because it ended and rightly so, I have made many positive changes. I viewed the marriage breakdown as now having an opportunity to some day have a healthy relationship. And, I am on my way in this regard I might add.

Then there as the hamstring injury thing that has been plaguing me for a few months as well. Finally, that seems to be resolving itself with some time and patience.

Perhaps time does heal - both in the literal sense and the figurative sense.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Kim

Hi Dorothy,
The positive comment post is a great idea! Congratulations on learning how to swim. That is a big achievement. Positive things in my life for this year would be finding the Cathe website and forums and getting motivated again to become fit.
I am thankful for all the encouragement and helpful advice that I've received from these forums. You people continue to inspire me every week when I read the check-in's. Thanks again to everyone. I still have a long way to go, but at least I'm on the right track.

Happy Holidays!!!
Lisa Seymour

My fitness year started out well which is probably attributable to setting specific goals. DH & I began 2000 by training for a cycling century (100 miles)in early March. It wasn't my 1st century but it was the hardest & I was pleased with my time & how I felt (during & after). We switched gears (& bikes) to do an independent, 6 day tour in June down the California coast from San Francisco to Santa Barbara.

My summer goals were vague & the results were mixed. I wanted to master toe pushups so worked on core body strength. My ability to execute toe pushups still depends on what I've done earlier in the workout & the alignment of Jupiter's moons.

I've been intrigued w/ Pilates for years & finally found affordable mat classes. I love what it's doing for core body strength & flexibility. It's strange starting out a fitness class by laying on the floor & breathing!

A shoulder strain in May has been haunting me. December has been dedicated to breaking out of a cycle of shoulder problems. So far so good, & it gives me lots to work on in 2001!

Debra

It is great to read everyone's reflections on their year and the changes that have occurred in their lives and how they reacted positively to them.

For me, 2000 was a year of one expected change (we had our 3rd child in Feb) to one unexpected change (in Jan my husband accepted a new job which meant for us a move halfway across the US, a new home and all the other changes that have had a strong impact on myself and my children's lives as well). Honestly, the last area which has been resolved for us was me finally getting a permanent job which I started just this past week! It has been a very long year. And I am happy to say that I survived and my marriage is stronger than ever and our children adjusted well! I am surprised that I did not go through any post partum depression, which I did twice before (thanks to Cathe's videos plus I was a "single" mom during much of this transition. Too busy to cave in to bad feelings). I realized the true stress reducing power exercise has on your body.

The highlight of my year was going on the roadtrip and meeting Cathe in person. She is such an inspiration!

A goal for myself next year is to get back into running. In 1999 I trained and ran in my first 5K (at 5 weeks pregnant) and haven't trained since. Also I want to conquer "toe-pushups" and planks for 2001! Congrats to all who have made gains in those areas! :) Your're great role models for me!

Have a happy and healthy Holiday!

Joyce Iannarelli

Finding this Forum

Hello Everyone,
Warning this might get sappy!! While they were alot of positive thing that happened for me this year, one of them was finding this Forum and discovering Cathe tapes. I had Cathe's MIS (through Collage). This is how I then discovered the Forum. I was originally scared off of her videos because of the complex ratings for cheograpghy. They are not actually so tough because Cathe is so great at cueing (I have two left feet).

Anyway, finding this Forum has been absolutely great for me. I have been encouraged by everyone, discovered the idea of setting up "rotations", gotten great ideas for these rotations, found out how great RYKA shoes are, found out about STEVIA and other great nutrition/Diet tips, etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on about all the great ideas and tips and things I have learned from this Forum.

I'm sure I don't even need to mention what Cathe's tapes have done for my fitness level.
Thank YOU CATHE for creating great vidoes and having such a great FORUM for all of your FANaticS.

DAWN W

What a great thread!!!

I would have to say that the thing that hit me the most this year was saying, (and actually doing this) that I was going to cut back on the stress. I learned that my house doesn't have to be perfectly clean, that my kids don't have to look picture perfect, that dinner doesn't always have to be a 7 course meal, that it is okay to say no to my friends and family, and that I shouldn't feel guilty for having some down time. This has been a struggle for me my whole life, but I am really starting to come around. I have also learned to like my body, take better care of me and drink lots of water. So far, 35 is looking pretty good!!!

Now, if only I could lay off the chocolate!!!

Hey, a little chocolate now and the is the least you deserve for all that you've accomplished this year! What a woman! I'm creeping up on 31 and I'm just learning some of those same lessons. In so many ways, I wouldn't go back to being 20 years old for anything. I love being 30, and what it means to my confidence level and how I feel in my own skin. I had no idea getting older could be so much fun.

This forum and Cathe's workouts are a huge part of that. So thank you all!

I set the goal to become certified and did at age 49. I have the theory that if you give your cells something positive to do--work for you; they won't go haywire quite so easily. So far, so good--Happy 2001 to all.

This was an excellent idea!

I competed in the Danskin Triathalon in 1999. I love cycling and running, and though I don't enjoy swimming, I had a super time and was eagerly looking forward to the next Danskin. Then I developed terrible knee pain (and I am only 24!!) which ended my running and competitive cycling.

Determined not to pity myself and get out of shape, I began taking aerobics classes, doing some videos at home, and happily discovered Cathe in May 2000 (also my graduation from college--masters). I LOVE the challenge of Cathe's videos and was so happy to find this and the FIRM forum to read about other video exercisers and issues that we all face.

I still have knee pain, though not quite as severe. Thank you Cathe, as well as all you video exercisers for your advice, reviews, discussions, etc, etc!

-kelli

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.