Polar F6

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
So I finally got a Polar F6 HR monitor this week! I used it for the 1st time this morning and the main problem I noticed is at times during exercise, it was reading my HR as 0. Now, this is impossible because I was doing 30/30 and I'm def NOT dead so obviously this was wrong. Has anyone else had this problem?? I don't know what to do! The chest strap was against my skin the entire time and I made sure to moisten the grooves like the manual said.

That doesn't sound right to me Melissa. I have used Polar Heart Rate Monitors for years and mine start doing crazy things like that when the battery is low. Otherwise, I never get a zero HR.

It's sounds like you did everything right. I would try it a couple more times and if you keep having issues I would exchange it.

You know, I've had that happen with my F6. It doesn't happen alot, but it is always during something when I am jumping. Primarily jumping jacks, or high knee running, that sort of thing. I just figured it couldn't get a read.

My F4 will do that sometimes as I'm starting out. It usually comes right back. Sometimes I have to reposition the chest strap. Once I had to re-moisten it. As soon as the sweat really starts to flow, I don't have the problem. So I was assuming the pads weren't wet enough.

Has anyone noticed if the cold affects the readings? I was running yesterday and my readings were all over the place. My watch battery is 2 months old and my new wearlink chest strap is only 3 months old. I didn't have any 0 readings, but it would drop from 170 to 90 to 150's to high 160's--all with a steady pace. I've had it spike above 200 (I'm assuming outside interference with the signal) briefly before, but never had such wacky readings. It was fine last Saturday when I ran outdoors, and all this week for my indoor workouts. But it was 30 deg. with wind yesterday.

Any comments?

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me.. in the same workout! And in double wave pyramid, if I remember correctly. I don't know why it is, but I find that licking my finger and running it onto the patchy things helps, it helps the strap to detect when my body is moving very quickly. Another thing I do, is sometimes, I tie the strap, with a loose piece of ribbon, to the middle of my bra. It keeps it to my chest, and stops the '0' problem. But at first, I had that problem a lot, and only with high intensity (my HARDEST workouts, so unfair!) workouts.

Hope you solve your problem :)
xxxx

The same thing happened to me.. in the same workout! And in double wave pyramid, if I remember correctly. I don't know why it is, but I find that licking my finger and running it onto the patchy things helps, it helps the strap to detect when my body is moving very quickly. Another thing I do, is sometimes, I tie the strap, with a loose piece of ribbon, to the middle of my bra. It keeps it to my chest, and stops the '0' problem. But at first, I had that problem a lot, and only with high intensity (my HARDEST workouts, so unfair!) workouts.

Hope you solve your problem :)
xxxx

Thanks everyone!! Yeah, I find that it was reading 0 a lot with the higher impact moves. I was looking on Polar's website and apparently this is a common problem. They actually suggested licking your finger and using that to wet the reader because salt supposedly conducts well, which is why supposedly when you're well into your workout, it reads better (not in my case though lol)! Also, they suggested moving the sensor around your chest, like flip it so "Polar" reads upside down, turn it so it's in the back facing down...not sure if these would help but I guess it's worth a try. Zozo, I'm going to try your ribbon idea!! I found that when the strap was tighter I got a better reading so maybe it isn't tight enough.

I have the F6 and I will say I had better luck with the F11. Yesterday I was doing Double Wave Pyramid HiTT and when I was through with the second segment it said my HR was 59 while I was trying to catch my breath. I took it and wiped it down with a cloth(I think sometimes skin oils mess them up too) then I re moistened it and wiped myself off and it worked perfectly. I get 0 readings once in awhile too. If licking and salt works why couldn't we just use a little saline spray or something?

I never have that problem. While running outdoors, only twice, I had interference which threw my HR Monitor off, but nothing else. You may have a faulty one. If it continues, I would take it back and exchange it for another.

changing polar chest strap battery

My readings have also been all over the place. I have a new battery in the watch. Do I know need to send the starp back to polar too. Can I chnage myself and has anyone done this. Thanks

I get 0 readings on my F7 sometimes when I get too close to the TV. Mostly happens during step workouts when doing moves off the opposite side of the step. It usually settles back down when I move away from the TV.

Sheila

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.