Plyo Jumps on the Step

Pippadog1

Cathlete
Hi

Please can someone suggest how to modify the jumps onto and off the step. I'm okay jumping on a 6 inch step, but anything above that hurts my knees. Also jumping over the step is something I cannot manage. Now the risers seem to be getting higher in cardio workouts, I don't know how I can intensify my cathe workouts without the jumping as some of the cardio in Ripped with Hiit series and the Intermediate Series has jumping on two to three risers.
To be honest jumping on and off things scares me a little, as I've previously got my foot caught in the top step platform and ended flat on the floor lol. Plyo on boxes is just something I don't want to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Laura

Hi Laura!

Maybe instead of jumping on the platform, you could just do squat jumps on the floor behind the platform. Or plyo jacks possibly? Hope this helps a little :)

Also jumping over the step is something I cannot
I also do not do this. Rather, I use yoga blocks to ensure I am doing the lateral or diagonal movements. The calorie burn will be less, but when the jumping is closer to the floor and gentler, I find the muscle activation in the calves, glutes etc. is actually more.
Do what you can. Push yourself but not into "pain" territory. Enjoy your workout. Don't injure yourself.

when I had an injury and had to do low impact. I substituted for jumps I would step up on step- then just do step down step touch (she does those in low impact circuit touch during blast (? not 100% sure that's the video but they are in few and when done fast keep heart rate up. I also will do the running man on step like in xtrain low impact hiit. I also would just do air squats fast.

Just use a low impact move that keeps the heart rate up for those moves that hurt.

I can do high impact again but sometimes my ankle is not feeling hundred percent and I'll substitute when needed.

Absolutely sub and modify. When you're nervous about it, that's when injuries happen. I'm sure you can come up with something that works for you and still gives you a great workout. If Cathe is doing plyo jumps on the step then you do plyo jacks or weighted lunges. Just try to think of what muscles she is working and you do something similar that suits you and rock it!

Here are my suggestions:

• If it is just nerves, try to jump forward, right or left making a square. while you do that pay attention on the landing. Land on squat position paying attention to make your quads and glute take on the landing:):). If it feels ok then it is just nerves and work up to increasing risers gradually IMO.
  • The other option would be just step up and down as quickly as you can, step up on one foot and kick the other one back.
  • The third option would be to sub any other exercise working glutes, quads and hams --- Glute bridge, stability ball rolls in and out and Hip thrust.
  • Last but not least strengthening glute muscles is the best action anyone would take to protect knees;):p:p ATB:):)
Great thread! I love plyo jump. --- It brings a oomph twist working legs;):p:p

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm also coming back to my workouts as of May of this year I was diagnosed with non hodgkinson skin lymphoma, so I really don't want workouts that give me a dread factor. My consultant has told me its absolutely fine to get back to my previous workouts, but I am trying to tone things down a bit. Before my diagnosis I would do a Cathe workout in the morning and sometimes an hour udaya yoga practice at night. Physically I looked the fittest I've ever been. Also I felt wonderful, but I had a lump developing on my forehead that turned out to be a malignant skin lymphoma. Its amazing how deceptive things can be. I was hoping the ICE Series would help me back into Cathe workouts again, although to be honest I've felt a little disappointed with it for my purpose. I've found X Train much more accessable, but hopefully Cathe's new series will accomodate my needs. I love Cathe. I've been doing her workouts for years. As I'm in the UK and I don't go to a gym, Cathe's workouts have always been my workout of choice. So hopefully that will continue into the future.

Thanks again for the workout suggestions.

Laura
x

I stopped doing jumps on a step a while ago because it hurt my knees as well. I use a BOSU for box jumps now. It doesn't hurt my knees at all.

To add on to what I have previously quoted about the landing, please find below a helpful (IMO) vid
from muscle motion. There is no fancy music nor is there any cueing but I find it quite self-explanatory.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.