Plyo and impact question

Sonnenschein

Cathlete
Are plyo moves better for troublesome knees than regular impact? Or are they likely to still cause problems? It seems to me that the sort of gradual landing involved with them would be more gentle than regular jumping and also would tend to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint due to the control needed/used. Thanks! --Karen

Hi, Karen! I'm curious about this question too, although I have never had problem one with my knees, and I do Interval Max and throw in plyo moves all the time in my land workouts. I may ask Maribeth (our new resident physical-therapist-personal-trainer-Master's-Degree-Cathe-Fan) to weigh in . . .

My guess is the answer lies in what specific vulnerabilities the exerciser would have regarding the knee, and whether increased flexion while the leg is fully loaded and bearing impact OR propelling forcefully off the floor (obviously a hallmark of plyo-moves) aggravates the knee. Also the already existing strength of the muscles surrounding the knee, as well as the form during landing (whether one is landing properly with the knees not going beyond the toes).

Maribeth, care to answer?

Annette Q. Aquajock

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-02 AT 12:32PM (Est)[/font][p]Hey A-jock and Karen,
True plyo moves can be fantastic for not only strengthening the musculature surrounding the knee, but for enhancing the proprioception that prevents knee ligament injuries so commonly seen in women. The key here is to perform the exercises correctly--dropping into a knee flexed/hip flexed position to start the move, ascending rapidly and forcefully out of this position, and again dropping into the knee flexed/hip flexed position as soon as the feet touch the ground, using the muscles to control the speed of descent vs just falling.

Because of the intensity of these moves, the continuous impact related syndromes I see in runners or traditional high impact aerobics enthusiasts aren't usually found in the plyo crowds. You just can't keep plyo moves up for too long, and when they are a part of an interval training program, their intensity level allows the recovery phase to be lower impact without compromising the caloric expenditure of the exercise session.

People with patellofemoral pain may have to limit the degree of knee flexion to the range which is pain free, but there's no problem there. And, as a person who had such terrible patellofemoral problems that I required surgery (following decades of no treatment), I can tell you that I have virtually no pain with plyometric work--can't say the same for a continuous, high impact activity like running though.

I have a love-hate relationship with plyo work. I love the benefits and effects, but I hate the way they kick my butt! I'm currently doing 4 sets of 15 squat jumps with a 32 lb weight vest as part of my program now--no exacerbation of knee pain at all.

As always, the key to keeping the knees healthy is doing the exercises correctly and tailoring them to individual needs and limitations.

Time to jump! :-jumpy
Maribeth

Thanks so much! May I bother you with more questions? I'm having trouble figuring out how to deal with my knee pain because it doesn't generally hurt during an activity, instead I find out several hours later or even the next day that I overdid something. Does that mean anything? Am I just old and arthritic at age 45? And how does one figure out what changes to make when the feedback is so delayed? --Karen

Hi, Karen,
No bother at all! You may be attributing your knee pain to activity that actually has little to do with the problem. On the other hand, delayed pain is very common when there is an irritating factor--the body takes a little time to move through the steps of inflammation, and often people won't notice something as being painful until hours after the fact.

I would suggest keeping a journal of activites to find out what you've done in the 8 or so hours prior to the onset of the pain. Once you pinpoint what makes it worse, it is easier to figure out why you're having pain--degenerative changes, patellar malalignment, tendon irritation, bursa irritation, etc.

Don't assume it is age related. Far too many people attribute joint pain to normal aging--it ain't necessarily so. Usually, the trouble stems from either a history of traumatic injury or a chronic problem that goes unaddressed.

Keep me up on what's happening!
Maribeth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.