Plica syndrome

MAYNARDSMOM

Cathlete
AFter 4 months of going back and forth to the Dr I finally have a diagnosis for my knee issues. Plica syndrome. I will have arthroscopic surgery in 3+ wks. From what my Dr described it is not complicated at all but a very minor procedure.

Has anyone been through this and care to share their experience?

Thanks

Plica knee operation

Actually, this is what Cathe had several years ago. Once she finishes filming and the road trip, I'm sure she would be happy to explain what she went through. But this is a pretty simple operation and you should be good to go in no time.

Actually, this is what Cathe had several years ago. Once she finishes filming and the road trip, I'm sure she would be happy to explain what she went through. But this is a pretty simple operation and you should be good to go in no time.

Thanks for sharing. :)

I don't have it, but I just wanted to say

I hope that your surgery and recovery are easy and that you get well very soon,

Hugs,

Alisha

I had it done several years ago. 2007, I think. It was easy. A few hours at the ambulatory surgery center, most of which was paper work and waiting around. The actual surgery was probably about 45 minutes, but I was asleep, what do I know. I asked if they could do it with local anesthesia or a nerve block so I could watch, but the doc said no. Phooey.

Afterwards, it was no crutches, I was up walking (hobbling) on it right away. I has 3 holes in my knee, and maybe 2 stitches on each one. I was wrapped up tight with gauze and an Ace bandage and a cooling water thing that attached to an ice bucket. I had to keep the ice bucket machine on for the first day, and keep it elevated. That was no problem, because I was still a little "la-la" from the anesthesia. I remember sitting on the couch watching TV and dozing on and off most of the day.

I went back to the doc for a recheck in a couple days, which is when they unwrapped me and then just put band aids over the stitches. Then it was 6 weeks of PT 3x a week. Two more doc visits, one to pull the stitches and one to just check on things.

The PT was fairly painless (I've been through worse knee PT) and it all went well. The full range of motion and weight bearing came back pretty quick. I would say that even though you're allowed to be up and walking, be careful how much you do. It was my left knee, and because of that, I'd end up with a sore right hip due to an odd gait, before things got back to normal.

I had the surgery on a Thursday, and was back to work on Monday. I really could have been back on Friday. It was my left knee, so I could still drive. I took Vicodin all day (well, a couple times a day) the first day or two, then just once or twice a day for a couple days, and then just at night so I could sleep for probably two weeks. But it really didn't hurt that bad. My other knee surgery was really painful. I started back with yoga maybe 2 weeks after with the ok of the PT, and about 4 weeks after was doing a modified KickMax, no jumping, and at 5 or 6 weeks was back to step. I remember it being a modified Rhythmic Step with just the topper and no pivot moves, but it was totally doable. Probably 8 weeks to full workout capacity.

It was fairly easy and relatively painless for surgery. If I had to do it again, I'd do it in heartbeat, and my knee felt so much better.

Good luck!!

Nan

Thanks Nan for sharing your story. Interesting you did PT. I asked about that and he said yes some do but didn't feel I would really need it. My thought is tell me what I can do and I will do it at home. Will be sure and ask at pre-op visit.
Funny the pain is more bearable now that I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Probably worried most about anesthesia, I don't do well with that :(
Oh well.

Thanks again and will be sure to post how it goes. Just excited to have it fixed once and for all!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Hi Tami...I had this exact same thing back in 2006. My age at that time was 42.

Keep in mind each person has their own unique circumstances surrounding their plica band and its removal so I really can't tell you if you will go through exactly what I did, especially this many years later. But I am happy to share my experience with you....

The day of surgery: After fairly quick operation, I stayed in recovery for about an hour and had nurses give me outpatient instructions. I felt no pain whatsoever upon waking in the recovery room and was told that that was due to sensational pain killers. I was also told not to let that pain free feeling misguide me into thinking I was fine to walk without crutches, or take stairs, etc. because that was not permitted on this day.

What I could do the day of surgery post operation:

1) Use crutches for walking....place minimal weight on operated leg.

2) Rest, elevate leg as much as possible, and ice 20 minutes every few hours (right through the bandages)

3) Keep leg wraps on for the day.

4) Straight leg lifts (20 reps, 5 second holds, 4 times per day) and gentle knee bends as far as comfort allowed (10 reps, 4 times a day)

I really felt great and was not sore at all.

Day two was a different story. The painkillers wore off and I felt a little pain.

Day three was the sorest. After day three, the pain leveled and I was feeling pretty good by day 7.

I did the same activities as mentioned above all of these days but without crutches and surgical bandages (I removed crutches as soon as I stopped limping, and removed bandages on day 2 post surgery).

One week later I saw the doctor and had full range of motion restored and very minimal swelling.

I began physical therapy for 12 weeks which was plenty exercise for the lower body and by the time it was completed, I felt pretty good. I occasionally had odd quirky sensations which sometimes made me question my progress on a given day, but I learned that in my case this was part of the healing process.

As for working out... therapy exercises replaced my typical lower body workouts. I could also do some stationary biking for cardio. I did all seated weight training for upper body and had a friend carry the weights to me. After about 3 weeks to a month, I was able to move around better. I did minimal standing while doing some upper body exercises.

Lower body exercises eventually felt normal again about 4 months post surgery. But up until then, walking up and down steps (especially going down steps) was stiff and achey as well as some jumping and lateral moves.

The biggest advice I can give you is to follow your directions exactly and remember that ICE IS YOUR FRIEND

Good Luck with your surgery.

AFter 4 months of going back and forth to the Dr I finally have a diagnosis for my knee issues. Plica syndrome. I will have arthroscopic surgery in 3+ wks. From what my Dr described it is not complicated at all but a very minor procedure.

Has anyone been through this and care to share their experience?

Thanks

looking for more feedback on recovery or maybe just reassurance I am on track and I need to stop whining ;)
It will be three weeks tomorrow since surgery. I am still having to ice numerous times a day as much as my schedule allows but I am pretty good about it. I was doing pt they gave me to do at home and found elliptical seemed to work better than stationary bike for me. Started with 10 min on lowest level - all good. Bumped up tp 17 min then 20 min, still good. So of course wanting to push the envelope since I was doing well I did 30 min Tues with a program that gave more resistance :confused::confused:...I know I know - stupid girl. Yep it's talking to me. More swelling again so back to more ice and ibuprofen. Haven't done anything with it since then, not even the pt. The improvement I have had with stairs has taken a few steps backwards - no pun intended :(
So tell me what I need to hear but am to stupid to know apparently. Nan??

Thanks

Back off a few days, ice, elevate, and Advil or Aleve. You'll be right as rain in a couple days. Maybe try just walking, that might help to. You'll feel better if you keep moving, it'll flush the swelling out, and keep the joint from getting stiff, but take it easy!!

Nan

Back off a few days, ice, elevate, and Advil or Aleve. You'll be right as rain in a couple days. Maybe try just walking, that might help to. You'll feel better if you keep moving, it'll flush the swelling out, and keep the joint from getting stiff, but take it easy!!

Nan

Thanks Nan :D Have been back to Advil and ICE :confused: so sick of ice.

We took our oldest back to college driving from New York to Indiana last week. The days we were riding (9 1/2 hrs) were def worse than walking around.

Once again thanks for your help :D:D:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.