PLEASE watch "The Cove".

MadnNatsmom

Cathlete
I know we have a lot of animal lovers here, but this film is more than that. It's for people who have a social and environmental conscience.

I am cross-posting at all the fitness boards I frequent.

I was so disturbed by this movie that I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep.

The Extra Features are very enlightening as well, particularly "Mercury Rising".

This review says it so well:

The Plot:

The Cove is a documentary that tells the story of an elite team of activists, filmmakers and free-divers who embark on a covert mission to penetrate a specific cove in Taiji, Japan, where approximately 23,000 dolphins are killed every year. Former dolphin trainer Ric O’ Barry, the man who captured and trained the first five dolphins who played Flipper in the international television sensation, attempts to stop the deadly cycle he helped create.

Throughout the movie O’ Barry seeks redemption and tries to take down the multi-billion dollar dolphin entertainment industry with the help of filmmaker Louis Psihoyos (read interview) and the Oceanic Preservation Society.
The Good:

* The Violence: This film could very easily be a violent mess. As O’Barry and Psihoyos both told us they had plenty of other bloody footage— But they don’t show it, because they don’t need it. Their message is strong enough without having to show you the gore behind it. Yes, there are 2 minutes of footage that are hard to watch (they give you warning, turn away if you need) but the rest of the film alludes to what is going on without having to show you.

* It’s Not Just for Ocean Lovers: From, health reasons such as extreme levels of mercury poisoning to issues with the government that go much further than just dolphin killing — the film touches on subjects everyone should be aware of.

* It’s Fun to Watch: Yes it deals with a serious issue, but they do so in a fun and entertaining way. You are basically watching a real life Oceans 11 team in action.

* The Ocean Footage: It is absolutely breathtaking. They have some of the first every underwater shots in HD of a member of their team swimming (or rather playing) with a 50 foot whale and that’s just the start of it.

* The Team: These people quite literally risk their lives against the Japanese government to save these dolphins. All of them are amazing personalities that will have you rooting them.

* Ric O’Barry: Talk about a role model. If you need someone to inspire you to do what’s right, he’s your man.

The Bad:

* People are Scared of It: Don’t be.

The man that led this group to make this film is from my area....I will try to find the newspaper articles where he is interviewed. There are many countries he cannot go back to, for fear of his life due to making this film.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.