Please recommend a good..

jenmgo

Cathlete
cradle/bassinet etc for having the baby sleep with you in the same room for first couple months - our room is a good size but our furniture takes up most space, so i need something that is not too large or cumbersome. But something that looks nice, and is safe sturdy and comfy! Any recommednations? Im registereing at baby's r us so im looking at that sight

how about high chairs? im looking at the eddi bauer style wood ones becuase they look nice but most reviews say the kid wont fit in it after a short time because there is no space.

just looking for suggestions. i know i wont need a high chair for a while though :)

I got an amby sleeper and our daughter loved it! she had some problems with reflux and being in a still environment and this smaller bed really helped her transition to a crib later on.

http://www.ambybaby.com/

i was lucky i had heard about it b/c most ppl who buy it are 2nd time moms and had a hard time with their first one:) if that sort of thing doesn't suit you, i would recommend a baby basket aka moses basket. that's good for the first 3 months or so and you can carry them around in it between rooms.

Jen, I can tell you what NOT to get:

1 - the Arms Reach co-sleeper. Huge. Bulky. Not easy to set up or take down.
2 - just about ANYTHING Eddie Bauer. Any EB baby thing I ever bought is junk. NOt easy to clean, mauever, etc. In my experience it's paying for the name and that's about it. I completely detest the EB stroller we had. And the car seats. blech. never again.

For sleeping we put our girls right in their cribs in their rooms. Of course, the nursery is in the room right next to ours and not everyone has that option. In my experience, it's one less transition to make. Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for the advice so far. Ok..no eddie bauer - i think i had a high chair listed as a maybe from them. it was nice wood and looked like it would be nice but i'l take your word for it.

Our house is set up not in a good way. its a single level Florida home, the master bedroom is way at the back and the two other bedrooms are at the front. so the baby would be very far away. thats why i was thinking i'd need a cradle or bassinet..

Jen- get the baby bargains book and it will tell you the best and most cost effective products for baby in all categories- strollers, car seats, etc. It will be the best money you spend.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bargains-7th-furniture-maternity/dp/1889392251

I have an arms reach mini sleeper and I love it. But it's the MINI and not the regular cosleeper.

As for Eddie Bauer, each product is hit and miss. Eddie Bauer licenses its name out so each product is made by someone else. I've heard the car seat is terrible. Not sure about the high chair. I think the baby bargains book recommends the Zooper Peas/Carrots and the Fisher Price high chairs.

Bassinet: My first son went straight to the crib, and I slept on a twin bed in his room for the first six weeks. He did great. My second son's room was right next to the first one's, and so I didn't want him waking up my first son during the night, so we put a traditional bassinet in our room. MISTAKE. He got used to the comfort of such a small/closed-in space and never took to his crib after that. This time around, we purchased a new Pack N Play by Graco with the bassinet to put in our room b/c we are upstairs and the nursery is downstairs. However, the pack n play bassinet seems a lot roomier than the traditional bassinet, so I'm hoping that this little one will transition to the crib easier.

High Chair: We used one of those seats that attaches to your kitchen chair instead (I think it was Safety First brand). It reclines a little for infant use, and sits up straight for toddler/preschooler use. My three year old still uses it as a booster. This has been the best buy that we made. Number 3 will use it too. AND it was only around $30. It's very easy to travel with and doesn't take up extra space in the kitchen. LOVE IT.

Jen#2-I second the "Baby Bargains" book for great suggestions for everything having to do with baby. We did get the EB carseats, and they are HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that you were first discussing the cradle/bassinet, but I thought I would throw that in there. I can't ever get the darn thing out of my car!!!
-Jen #1

I just used a pack n play. Worked great. :)

That's what we did too. Pack n Plays have a bassinet feature, so it's easy to get baby in and out. DD was in hers until just before 4 months, when we moved her to her crib. Since you need the PnP anyway, a cradle is just one less thing to buy ;)

Our little guy (he's 6 weeks old now) didn't take to the bassinet. The most he sleeps there is maybe an hour if that. Right now his favorite place to sleep is the bouncy seat (it vibrates). I didn't even register for this. I bought it later when he was about 3 weeks old. We just found out by accident that this is his favorite spot to sleep. Only if it's vibrating too.

I can't recommend a product, because it was 8 years ago that I needed something like this and everything has changed since then. But, I want to say that as I look back, I really, really, really wish I had gotten a lot of this early stuff second hand (or borrowed). Most of it is used so little that it just doesn't get worn out (not the car seat, that should be new).

Also, we put the girls in the crib from the first night and it worked great for us. I ended up returning the bassinets that I received as shower gifts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.