plate work hurts knees

bigsisjuju

Has anyone found the plate work in the leg workouts to hurt the knees. I find that when I am pulling the leg back to the start position my knee cap begins to hurt. I try very hard to keep my knee behind the toes sense I have had knee surgery on one knee already. I had to stop reaching for and lifting the weights and just focus on the movement it self. Are there any form pointers for this. When I can really focus on the move I like were I feel it in the muscle but I want to be able to use weights. I have some of the same problems with the wall ball work. I have to put my feet out farther that Cathe's look in the disc. If anyone has any pointers for me I would appreciate it.
Julie

Paper Plates

In the next show for Cathe TV, Cathe will have a segment on "paper plates" and will show you several different options for using them. I think the show may help to answer some of your questions and concerns.

I had surgery on both knees the end of 2005, and I can't use heavy weights for the LB. When doing the paper plate moves, I used very light weight the first time and my knees were so sore I could hardly walk. Now I do the exercises with no weight and incorporate my PT exercises with the moves. This works for me. I'm happy I can do what I can do.

I'm glad Cathe will have a paper plate segment on her next show.:D

You didn't mention what you are using for the 'slider' (an actual plate?) and on what surface, but it's possible you could find something that slides better. If there is any 'catch' in the slide, it could pull on the knee somewhat (I find that I can use gliding discs on my puzzle mats, but they don't slide as freely as they do on a carpet, which adds resistance: good for intensifying the move for some muscles on the moving leg, but could be tougher on the knees. And since it's the stable leg that is the focus of the work, the added intensity on the moving leg is not necessary). I also find that because paper plates are rather thin, you have to put a bit more pressure on them to keep them in place, which could also add to knee pull.

The more 'slippery' you can make the gliding portion, the better for the knees, IMO. Try Gliding discs or Moving Man discs on a piece of carpet (you can buy remnants/ends for pretty cheap. I just saw some 3'x 5' pieces at Walmart for either 9.95 vor 12.95--I forget which).

Julie, as far as the ball squats, I always put my feet out farther than most people, so that when I'm in the down position with my thighs parallel with the floor, my lower legs are still beyond perpendicular to the floor. I've got knee issues as well (OA with surgery on one of the knees). For the sliding exercises (and for that matter, for lunges in general as well, especially non-static lunges), I don't use added weights and only do a range of motion that's comfortable for me. I may not be getting as full a workout as I would with added weight, but the toll it would take on my knees would be more counterproductive. Maybe some day, when my legs are stronger, I'll be able to add weights, but that may never happen and I'm fine with it.

ETA: I bought a set of Valslides and use them on a carpeted surface. They slide nicely, with very little resistance.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.