planter fascjitis

boxer

Cathlete
i have just been told i have planter fasciitis. can anyone help ? can i still run and be as active as i want to be. i am an avid exerciser and i use my cathe tapes always . help

OH Gosh!!

I have had Plantar Fascitis a few times in my running career and what has worked better than anything is else are REGULAR massages on my feet, stretching, icing, and never going barefoot. It may be that you need to take some time off (I know you do not want to hear that) but, it is better to take time now for a shorter time than later for
a l-o-n-g time.

Another preventative thing my orthopod actually wrote a prescription for was to wear Birkenstocks around the house at all times. NEVER EVER going barefoot again. The benefit about Birks are that they have a natural arch support so your foot is always protected. It worked.

SO, with: Stretching, massages, ice, and Birks - I have not has PF since. I hope that helps and here's to your speedy recovery!

Jenni

Hi!

I asked my doctor about this, and he said you should do a couple of things - like the previous poster said, wear sandals, but the arch support isn't as important as elevating your heal - notice when you have plantar f., walking bearfoot makes it hurt more? If you wear shoes with an elevated heal (like sandals with a small heal) it doesn't stretch that part of the heel as much. Definitely do this in the morning (when plantar f. tends to be the most noticed)

Also, like the previous poster, massage your heal. Sit on the edge of a couch, take your foot in your two hands and pull your toes toward your knee (like when you do a Cathe calve stretch). Mash on the soft part at the back of your heal, under that bone that sticks out at the back of your heal. I was told to do this several times a day.

Also, its possible you have what's called bruised heel syndrome. My doctor went to a conference about sports injuries and learned of this syndrome, which seems similar to plantar faciitis in some ways but isn't as bad (check it out with your doctor).

I'm a bad example, because I kept exercising with p.f. and it didn't get worse - had episodes where it was better and worse. My understanding is this is how it works - you'll always have an affinity for it, but it will come and go.

Here is my reply to this topic. I've over come PF and come back to full intensity cardio with no restrictions:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=85131#85177

Chek the reply by me, JAFitMama, on May 12,2004 at this link. I followed this advice religiously!

Judy
AKA "Likes2bfit"
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

http://groups.msn.com/CatheAddicts/jafitmamalikes2bfitfamily.msnw?Page=1

DON'T ignore it!!

I was having symptoms of PF a few years ago, but was in total denial. Then one day I was playing kickball with a bunch of preschoolers and felt something like a ripping ( PAINFUL ) sensation in my foot. I could hardly walk for a few days, and it took weeks before I could do any regular exercise again. Dealing with it now in a milder form will definitely help you avoid more serious pain in the future.

For me it really helped to tape my foot when the PF was at its worst. I used the method shown at this web address: http://heelspurs.com/tapes.jpg

Also, stretching my calves before getting out of bed each AM and icing my foot using a frozen water bottle that I rolled back and forth across the painful areas really helped. I invested in really good, supportive shoes as well.

Edited to add: Hmmm. It seems posting the web address caused the software to just go get the pics instead of creating a link. Interesting. :7 If you're interested in more info, the main web address is heelspurs.com

Unfortunately, I know way too much about PF. While the previous posters have shared some excellent courses of treatment, you can see that there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this injury. In my opinion, you have to find out what caused the PF in the first place. Do you have low arches, or flat feet by any chance? Perhaps you have tight calf muscles? Do you overpronate? All of these and more can contribute to the development of PF. It was a long, painful journey for me, but I finally got my PF under control. BTW, if given your footstrike pattern you decide to try orthotics, try over-the-counter products before you go the custom route. For me, I spent hundreds of dollars on custom orthotics, only to find that a pair from Road Runner Sports were far superior. I'm sorry you have to be a member of the "PF Club", but given the proper approach, you can beat it.

All the responses have great information in them. I had a baby recently and suffered with plantar faciitis for four months because of the gradual pregnancy weight gain that aggravated the fact that I wasn't wearing proper footwear. I ignored the initial signs of it which wasn't smart because I had it once before due to bad aerobic shoes. It helps to identify the cause.

To get it under control, I first bought proper footwear - sandals with tight elastic fit that really helped support my feet. I bought two pair, one for inside the house and another for wear outside. I also bought a pair of Spira walking shoes. The only time I was barefoot was in the shower and in bed. Unfortunately getting the right shoes came too late so I had to pretty much deal with the pain until I could deliver and lose some of the pregnancy weight.

I put moist heat on my feet in the morning and afternoon. In the evening, I put them on ice. I massaged them for almost five minutes everytime I got out of bed (when your pregnant, that's like every two hours!!) I did calf stretches and stayed off my feet as often as possible (no exercise, very little walking). The first case of this I had, I didn't have to do any of this but I did take it easy the first two weeks and laid off the high impact exercise.

It took about five months for my first case to go away. This time, I've felt immediate relief on my feet after having the baby but I won't be exercising with impact for at least another 4 weeks so that will give my feet that much more time to heal.

I've read that plantar faciitis can result in bone spurs/painful heels if not treated which is my motivation to do all I can now to get them to heal and not have more problems later.

Sorry for the long response but I do know the pain!! Good luck.

Another recovered PF victim but still have occasional flares. Agree with Jenni. Birkenstocks were the best thing! For icing a 20 oz Diet Coke (or whatever) filled with water and then keep in the freezer for icing when you need to. MD said I could continue to exercise but it wasn't worth the increased pain so I took a break. I got custom orthotics and these helped but don't fit all shoes. 2nd best is some 3/4 length Dr Scholl Tri shoe inserts that were about $5. Another suggestion - a Strassburg sock. About $30 at Footsmart.com. This is what the therapist recommended. You may also need patience - it is a slow process. I was better than much worse and than 1 day I woke up and no pain!
Good luck.

One thing I forgot to mention, but it makes a big difference for me, make sure that your top sheet on your bed is not tucked in tight. The tight sheet keeps your foot in a position that can (and does in my case) exacerbate the PF. My nightly bedtime ritual includes untucking the top sheet from between the matress. It seems like a small thing, but the benefit is huge. As Cathe would say, "Just a suggestion." :)

The Strassburg Sock keeps your foot flexed since it is natural to extend your foot while you sleep. Also - not as bulky as a night splint. Not attractive though!!

I had PF a couple of years ago. Tried various things...icing it, stretching, etc. Changing the brands of shoes I wear completely cured mine. I wear Dansko shoes and Munro shoes, both of these lines of shoes have polyurethane soles that protect your foot against the "pound of the pavement" and also elevate the heel (most styles). I also do not go barefoot around the house anymore. I know that everyone is different when it comes to curing or relieving PF but this worked for me. Good luck. PS..I never stopped running or exercising.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.