Plant Based Protein Powders

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
Can anyone recommend a decent plant based protein powder? Preferably not soy and whose taste is tolerable. I was looking at the Raw Meal by Garden of Life but the reviews on how horrible it tastes kinda deterred me lol. Thanks!

If you're going to blend with other stuff, I love Nutiva's hemp protein.
If you're going to throw something in a shaker with water, I like Sun Warrior's chocolate and vanilla flavors. Haven't tried them in a couple years, though, so don't know if the formula has changed...
My local Whole Foods now has a 'powders and functional foods' (or something like that) area of the bulk bin section. I tried a nice chocolate-maca plant protein powder from there. Will buy it again.
HTH,
Roz

I have no brand to recommend as the one I use are european based ones.

Pea protein is my main protein source when I need protein powder.
I usually go for unflavoured ones and add in banana, coconut, rice or almond milk and cinammon.
These adds on usually help to make a tasty shake.

All the best,

Gee I've actually used the Raw protein by Garden of Life and quite liked the taste of the vanilla and chocolate - guess it's very individual. It was not the Raw Meal though which I believe is meant to be a meal replacement so perhaps that one does taste differently. I do add 1/2 banana/ kale and almond milk to make a smoothie but even if I add the protein to greek yogurt it adds a nice flavor.

I adore both Orgain and SunWarrior. Orgain was recommended to me by my Nutritionist and thr chocolate is seriously yummy, 100% organic, and pretty affordable. They even sell it at Costco though you can get it on Amazon, too. Hope this helps!

I love Sun Warrior Vegan protein Blend; it's a complete protein - no dairy or soy, & minimally procesed. I like the non-flavored since I flavor it with frozen fruit and also make it with kefir milk, kombucha, and lately some bone broth (which is barely noticable). Plus, it is affordable - about $50 for 2.2lbs (free shipping with Amazon Prime).

I love VegaSport, especially their vanilla flavor. I really disliked the Garden of Life Raw brand...not the flavor as much as the texture: gritty. You can get VegaSport at Whole Foods...a case is 3, so if you wait for a sale, you can get an extra 10% by buying 3 at a time. Vitamin Shoppe also usually has it for a really good price online. Sometimes you can get an 20% discount on top of that.

I agree w/the poster who recommended Nutiva's hemp protein, but it's an entirely different beast...as in an "acquired taste." I'm lucky I've acquired a taste for it. :) It also has a grittier texture, but for some reason I don't mind it so much. Perhaps because I'm not using it in smoothies, but to make little protein balls.

Good luck!

Juice Plus+ has a great plant-based protein. There is some soy in it but it's water-washed soy. And they're so yummy. Awesome recovery option. There is a ton of published information and scientific research that has been done on the benefits of Juice Plus+'s products. If you would like to check it out, here is the link to my Web site. www.christyleslie.juiceplus.com. Happy New Year to everyone!!

Hi Everyone,

While we are discussing protein powder, has anyone tried Brown rice protein powder?

Brown rice is another protein source I like.

Another vote for Arbonne, have made pumpkin shakes, and mix a scoop of vanilla/chocolate with left over coffee from the morning, some stevia and almond milk and tastes like a yogurt shake.

Has anyone tried the new PureTrition? It is by Spirutein. Organic, gluten free, soy free, allergen free, 18 grams of protein from rice , quinoa, spirulina,
and flax. Also a whole food, probiotic blend.
It was voted best sports nutrition by delicious living magazine.

When I first bought pea protein powder, I mistook "unflavored" to mean that it was tasteless. Boy, was I surprised!

I tried hiding the yuckiness in smoothies with coconut milk & various fruits, to no avail. Then I realized that was like pouring water on a grease fire.

These days, I enjoy my NOW pea protein mixed with V-8 and a dash of Tabasco. It's the perfect camouflage!
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/n...8&cadevice=m&gclid=CKzaprihxsQCFdcSgQod5mkAdA

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.