plain water without food.

denice

Hi guys, I recently staryed going to a group nutritionist program, aome of the rules, so to speak, on her program is 64oz of plain water to be consumes in the am without food, and then with meals you cant have plain water shesays only an additional 32 oz and you must mix it with some fruit juice, or water with lemon and a packet of equal,she says if you drink plain water with your meals it something with the enzymes???????? Has anyone heard of this????? Denice.

Sounds nutty to me. You have to drink 8 8 ounce glasses of water before you eat anything in the morning? I have read many recommendations about drinking water with food as a way to fill up without overdoing it. What are her credentials? It smacks of quackery!:)

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif obbi

I agree with Bobbi below. Doesn't sound normal to me. I am not a nutritionist but I read alot about nutrition - the bottom line - can you live with an eating program the rest of your life? With all that water you'd be in the bathroom 24 hours a day! All the reputable nutritionists and fitness experts recommend 8 glasses of water a day - I have also read that drinking water with meals helps curb your appetite because you get filled up.

Also, what kind of a nutritionist recommends artifical sweeteners? Not that they are bad, and they can be helpful in weight reduction, but something doesn't sound right to me.

Just my two cents.

I have read somewhere that too much water taken with a meal does flush out some of the digestive enzymes needed to make good use of the food. But I think you'd have to drink an awful lot, and haven't heard of anyone being malnourished from being well hydrated. If anything I feel like my body makes better use of the nutrients when it has plenty of water to carry them through my bloodstream.

And I agree, what kind of nutritionist endorses aspartame?!

In case you haven't heard it enough from the previous postings, I would like to add that I think this nutritionist sounds whacked. I would drink most of my water between meals and while exercising, a glass first thing in the morning seems safe. I wouldn't drink too much with my meals, because the dilution of enzymes theory sounds plausible, but the 64 oz first thing sounds cultish, and the recommendation of aspartame sounds unwise.

I looked up water in Dr. Weil's book Eating Well for Optimum Health. There's a Q&A section in the Appendix. A reader asks, "Is it okay to drink water with meals?". Weil answers, "Yes. water does not dilute digestive juices or otherwise interfere with digestion." Weil's an M.D. and very well respected. You should ask your group leader about where she gets her information. She may not be qualified to give advice on nutriton and it's a key element of good health!

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif obbi

Sounds really strange . . .

The 64 ounces of water in the am. . . . I was taught that your body can only absorbe something like 10 ounces in 20 minutes. If that is correct, then it will immediately come right out because there was too much water in there at one time to be put to use.

Hi, I agree... this sounds rediculous. I wouldn't trust a nutritionist who recommends adding equal to water

marnie

Im sorry it is 32 oz of pure water in the day, without food to flush out the toxins and then the rest of the day you can have 64 just not plain water she suggests mixing a little fruit juice or a lemon, with the lemon half packet of stevia or equal , she does not really want you to have artificial sweeteners,i will email her and get the exact theory and post it here

denice.

Drinking alot of water is wonderful and it's really is hard to get too much but the fact is there's water in fruits and vegetables, soups and other drinks which are not necessarily all that bad. So 64 ounces of plain water isn't always necessary Stevia is a natural sweetener which has no affect on blood sugar. A friend of mine recently diagnosed with MS feels there's a link between artificial sweeters and the neurological disorder. There's that old saying, "When in doubt, don't". If you find yourself feeling that her advice is not right for you, don't follow it. After all, you're part of the "educated crowd":)
B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/twinkle.gif obbi

Hello Denice,
I have different thoughts than the others...

I remember a thread a while ago on another forum that talked about getting too much water (I mean like 2+ gallons per day) and that it was NOT good for you. There is actually a name for this!

But on the topic of the 32oz of water first thing, I heard a sports nutritionist/trainer speak who said that studies showed that athletes who were super-hydrated when they began their "event" performed better - she had worked with the New York Giants. Anyway, the 32 oz of water first thing in the am (especially if you are an am workout type) sounds okay with certain assumptions. If you assume dinner at 6pm and 8-12 oz of liquid with dinner then nothing until breakfast at 6 am the next morning, you have essentially gone 12 hours without liquid. 32 oz, although a lot isn't really all that much. Before I eat breakfast, on a non-workout day, I have at least 1 8-oz glass of water and 8 oz of coffee (and I drink at least 8 oz of water during the night and 8 oz before I go to bed)

Now about the juice an aspartame, is this a requirement? or is this an allowance so you can have a drink with some flavor? Cuz water with lemon and sweetener is better than a coke and certainly less artificial sweetener than a diet coke!

Just another way of looking at this...
-joy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.