Pinched Nerve

xiangnimen

Cathlete
Hello,

About a week ago I developed a pinched nerve in my neck, which in turn caused my right arm to be in constant pain and very weak. My normal routine for the past decade or so has been to exercise about 6 days a week with weights and cardio. Now that my arm has been greatly compromised, I’m wondering if I should exercise at all. From what I’ve been reading online, it can take weeks or months for it to heal up.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this same thing and if you continued exercising throughout.

I’m not really wanting to stop, but I don’t want to prolong the healing process either.

Thanks in advance for any comments. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had herniated discs at C5 and 6 that gave me severe pain numbness tingling and weakness down one arm but I would suggest seeing a doctor to ensure it's not something else if you haven't already. Physio said it was important to move through the discomfort to maintain function in my case so maybe they can help you. You likely have to lighten up on your regular routine though for awhile.
Good luck

I had herniated discs at C5 and 6 that gave me severe pain numbness tingling and weakness down one arm but I would suggest seeing a doctor to ensure it's not something else if you haven't already. Physio said it was important to move through the discomfort to maintain function in my case so maybe they can help you. You likely have to lighten up on your regular routine though for awhile.
Good luck

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jamie. I figured I may have to adjust my routine a bit, but I am happy to hear, at least in your case, it wasn’t necessary to completely stop.

I think I just had a pinched nerve somewhere in my lower back/hip/hamstring. Bending over would sent shooting pain down my hamstring. Impact would sent shooting pains up my leg and back. I did not go to the dr as I could tell several days in that I was improving. I kept moving - modifying my standard workouts and doing more yoga/stretching/walking and keeping everything low impact. I too have read that continuing to move is important but let the pain self-limit - ie if it hurts modify or stop - find something that doesn't hurt or move slower through the motion. I would suggest if you aren't noticing improvement daily that you seek professional help though.

I think I just had a pinched nerve somewhere in my lower back/hip/hamstring. Bending over would sent shooting pain down my hamstring. Impact would sent shooting pains up my leg and back. I did not go to the dr as I could tell several days in that I was improving. I kept moving - modifying my standard workouts and doing more yoga/stretching/walking and keeping everything low impact. I too have read that continuing to move is important but let the pain self-limit - ie if it hurts modify or stop - find something that doesn't hurt or move slower through the motion. I would suggest if you aren't noticing improvement daily that you seek professional help though.

Thanks for your feedback dmerz. [emoji4]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.