pet insurance

Affirm

Cathlete
My family will be getting a golden retriever puppy in May. This will be our first family pet. I am trying to research some information about pet insurance and decided to come to the forum for ideas, suggestions, opinions. What should I look for when exploring policies? Any recommendations? Is it really worth it?

Hi,

I believe it is worth it. I have insurance through the AKC for both of my labs (ages 4 and 2). The AKC gave me three months coverage free when I registered my dogs, and I chose to renew it after that. The cost for the plan I chose comes to about $350/year per dog. After the policy period deductible of $100, the plan covers 80% of any exams or prescription medication outside of the annual vaccinations and preventive medication such as heartworm pills or frontline. For example it covers ear infections, allergies, diagnostics, x-rays, blood tests, etc. as well as any surgeries. Right now, my four-year-old lad needs surgery for a torn cruciate ligament (sp?) which will be about $2500 to $3000, and insurance will pay 80% of that cost plus any followup visits and pain medication prescribed. They have been very good so far with coverage.

While we hope that our pets won't get injured and we do our best to make sure they are safe, there are some things we just cannot prevent. For that reason, it is worth it to me to have insurance--it gives me the security of knowing that when something like this does happen I will be able to see that they get the very best care possible. And in the meantime, it pays for maintenance medication that I give my dogs for allergies and joint pain.

You may or may not be aware that often the larger the dog the more expensive medication is b/c dosage is by weight. Surgeries can be more expensive for larger dogs, too. Golden retrievers are fairly good sized dogs, so that may also be a factor for your parents.

JMHO
MissL

ETA the website for AKC insurance is www.petpartnersinc.com
Barbara mentioned VPI, and I have heard good things about them, too. Their website gives you a lot of detail about exactly what they cover and what they don't. There are several plans to choose from. You just need to find a plan that works for you (or your parents).

I also have the VPI policy on my Cavalier King Charles spaniel. I have the "standard" policy which is just over $100/year. The first year I had the preventative add-on rider which was another $100 but it was worth it the first year with all the shots, her getting spayed, etc. You can also get the upgraded "superior" plan which allows higher amounts for procedures, but I think the standard plan is about in line with what vets charge in my area. I mainly got it as an emergency-type policy in case she suffered a serious injury or illness. Except for the first year preventative stuff, I haven't needed to use the policy. But last night she hurt her leg somehow, was barely walking on it, and I thought I might need to bring her in today and was thankful about the insurance. She seems fine today (must have pulled a muscle or something), but had I needed to bring her in for x-rays, broken leg, etc. the policy would have paid for itself!

I thought I would mention that you are smart to get a policy right away (should you decide to) because you will avoid added premiums for pre-existing conditions, etc. and the premiums are cheaper if you start them when they're puppies. Also, puppies are more prone to accidents and injuries when they are young and curious and more fragile!

I had been looking into getting pet insurance, however, I don't think it is for me and my situation.

I think it was around $ 300 per dog (I have 4) and it covered 80 % of the preventive. After my pups got the initial rounds of vaccinations, I don't do the yearly booster shots, nor are my dogs on heartworm medication. I do yearly exams and bloodtests, however, with the "quantity discount" I get from the vet for 4 dogs, I am quite a bit below that anyway.

Even with my 11-year-old Lab who had to be put down because of cancer last year, it wouldn't have made financial sense.

I guess, it depends on how high of a sense of security you want. To me, I rather put the money in good nutrition or put the money away in a seperate savings account, if I need it, I have it. If I don't need it, my dogs get some additional bones :)

Carola

Thanks everyone for the sharing information and your opinion. I will check the VPI website and others to learn more about their health plans. Thanks so much.

Look very very carefully at the fine print. What some of them do is they exclude a preexisting condition upon renewal the policy each year. Example, 2007 your dog was diagnosed with diabetes, fine, he was fully covered, no problem. 2008 you renewed the same policy & they hve the pre-exiting clause, your dogs diabetes is no longer a cvoered peril. Understand? Pet insurance is great, well worth the price, but get the best coverage you can. Vet bills are very very very expensive,

If you have any other question, feel free to privately email, it is fine by me

[email protected]

Karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.